Columbia vs. Chicago...OH GOD PLS HELP! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which should I choose?

Columbia (161,000)
63%
Chicago (118,000)
37%

Total votes: 118

jpk5372

Bronze

Columbia vs. Chicago...OH GOD PLS HELP!

Post by jpk5372 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:56 am

So, I have to accept or reject Chicago's scholarship offer by tomorrow and I've narrowed my choice down to two places: Chicago or Columbia.

I realize that both are very good schools, and I have visited both. When I think about Columbia, I feel very passionate and excited. When I think about Chicago, I think that there are good and bad things about it, and that I could survive it, while admittedly not getting stars in my eyes over it that a lot of other people do (though I do like the smaller size and the friendliness of the administrators). I'm really interested in the international programs at Columbia, which I like because they are already in place and seem very popular, but I also like that at Chicago there may be less peopel going for International pursuits allowing me to stand out a bit more, while at the same time getting a very well-rounded education.

When it comes down to it, I can rationalize going to Chicago but I get giddy thinking about Columbia. When all is said in done (loan interest and cost of living differences) Chicago will end up costing $60,000 less than Columbia. I can't figure out if that is worth the Columbia name and my personal feelings on the school and I'm panicking and running out of time.

So if anyone has some good advice, please please please throw it out there and I will love you forever!!!

sonervous88

Bronze

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago...OH GOD PLS HELP!

Post by sonervous88 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:59 am

seriously for 60K difference go where you want to be. i'm a firm believer in happiness. :)

WhirledWorld

Bronze

Post by WhirledWorld » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:04 am

Last edited by WhirledWorld on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:08 am

Sounds like you really want to go to Columbia so I voted Columbia. 60k is a lot, but how well you do will depend very heavily on where you fit in better.

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:08 am

jpk5372 wrote:When it comes down to it, I can rationalize going to Chicago but I get giddy thinking about Columbia.
I voted Columbia because of this.

But keep in mind that this giddiness might not be rational. The law school experience is more or less the same no matter where you go, especially with peer schools like this. If you're interested in international stuff, you'll find options for that wherever, the faculty and student body is going to contain some lovely people and some douchebags wherever etc.

Is this giddy feeling going to last into your first set of 1L finals? No.
Is it going to last halfway into your first semester? Maaaaybe.
Might you develop a new enthusiasm for Chicago halfway into your first semester there? Possible.
Are you always going to wonder whether the other school/60K more might have been better somehow? Probably.

Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jpk5372

Bronze

Post by jpk5372 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:13 am

kurla88 wrote: Are you always going to wonder whether the other school/60K more might have been better somehow? Probably.

Good luck.
Thanks everyone for your posts. This is what I'm worried about. While I care about money, I'm not obsessed with it and I can live within my means no matter what my salary. I can see myself being much more concerned about "what if I had gone to X school" than "what if I had an extra 6,000k a year". Is anyone else in this boat?

deathviaboredom

Bronze

Post by deathviaboredom » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:16 am

Last edited by deathviaboredom on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:17 am

Columbia.

jpk5372

Bronze

Post by jpk5372 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:21 am

deathviaboredom wrote:
Personal feelings win. Esp. when they're leaning toward one school which is in the same tier as Chicago, is giving u more money, and has a stronger prog in your field of interest. Where is the ? here?
Mostly the money aspect....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:33 am

jpk5372 wrote:
kurla88 wrote: Are you always going to wonder whether the other school/60K more might have been better somehow? Probably.

Good luck.
Thanks everyone for your posts. This is what I'm worried about. While I care about money, I'm not obsessed with it and I can live within my means no matter what my salary. I can see myself being much more concerned about "what if I had gone to X school" than "what if I had an extra 6,000k a year". Is anyone else in this boat?
^^^ This.
You can always make that $60,000 back with a Columbia education. And you'll never have to worry about the 'what if.'
You got a scholarship to the best law school in the biggest legal market in the world. Take it and don't look back.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:35 am

60K is a fuck ton of money for a peer school. Law schools are mostly filled with the same type of people, they teach mostly the same thing, and I doubt you are going to have a significantly better time in CLS than UChi. You will regret not taking 60K when you are working, and you realize it'll take 2 years of extreme savings while working in big law to pay back 60K because your 0L boner for columbia.

Chicago is the objectively correct choice here.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:35 am

coldshoulder wrote:
jpk5372 wrote:

Good luck.
^^^ This.
You can always make that $60,000 back with a Columbia education. And you'll never have to worry about the 'what if.'
You got a scholarship to the best law school in the biggest legal market in the world. Take it and don't look back.
Columbia will not make him back the 60K compared to U of C.

jpk5372

Bronze

Post by jpk5372 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:37 am

Desert Fox wrote:60K is a fuck ton of money for a peer school. Law schools are mostly filled with the same type of people, they teach mostly the same thing, and I doubt you are going to have a significantly better time in CLS than UChi. You will regret not taking 60K when you are working, and you realize it'll take 2 years of extreme savings while working in big law to pay back 60K because your 0L boner for columbia.

You make good points, but I guess I'm really nervous about Chicago because I really don't have much experience with it having only been there for ASW. I'm much more familiar with New York and thus can pretty much know I'll be happy there whereas I really don't know that with Hyde Park...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:41 am

Desert Fox wrote:
coldshoulder wrote:
jpk5372 wrote:

Good luck.
^^^ This.
Columbia will not make him back the 60K compared to U of C.
I'm not saying compared to U of C, I'm saying that he won't have a problem finding a job that will pay off the larger debt. Sorry if I was misleading.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:43 am

jpk5372 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:60K is a fuck ton of money for a peer school. Law schools are mostly filled with the same type of people, they teach mostly the same thing, and I doubt you are going to have a significantly better time in CLS than UChi. You will regret not taking 60K when you are working, and you realize it'll take 2 years of extreme savings while working in big law to pay back 60K because your 0L boner for columbia.

You make good points, but I guess I'm really nervous about Chicago because I really don't have much experience with it having only been there for ASW. I'm much more familiar with New York and thus can pretty much know I'll be happy there whereas I really don't know that with Hyde Park...
You are going to end up making friends at law school even if you stay in NYC. If you like a particular neighborhood in NYC I can promise you, that you can find a comparable neighborhood in chicago. Though it might be far from Hyde Park.

Plus it's good to get out of your comfort zone.

60K for a little personal comfort is crazy.

ebeth

Bronze

Post by ebeth » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:43 am

jpk5372 wrote:

1) You aren't going to have all that much time in law school to enjoy your surroundings.

2) When you do have time, Chicago is a great city.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:45 am

ebeth wrote:
jpk5372 wrote:

1) You aren't going to have all that much time in law school to enjoy your surroundings.

Chicago is pretty awesome, but Hyde Park is terrible.

OP: Your gut is telling you'd feel better at Columbia, so go to Columbia.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:47 am

bhan87 wrote:
ebeth wrote:
jpk5372 wrote:

Chicago is pretty awesome, but Hyde Park is terrible.

OP: Your gut is telling you'd feel better at Columbia, so go to Columbia.
What kind of weird bullshit trolling is this. His gut feeling isn't some universal spiritual truth. 60K is a lot of money. OP needs to suck it up.

jpk5372

Bronze

Post by jpk5372 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:47 am

Thanks everyone for your responses! I still don't know what I'm going to do but hearing both sides is at least calming me down a little =)

hiddenfist

New

Post by hiddenfist » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:03 pm

jpk5372 wrote:Thanks everyone for your responses! I still don't know what I'm going to do but hearing both sides is at least calming me down a little =)
I'm making the same decision and it is killing me.

Suck it up and take the $$ vs. giddiness is tough.

WhirledWorld

Bronze

Post by WhirledWorld » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:08 pm

Last edited by WhirledWorld on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote: What kind of weird bullshit trolling is this. His gut feeling isn't some universal spiritual truth. 60K is a lot of money. OP needs to suck it up.

jpk5372

Bronze

Post by jpk5372 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:26 pm

hiddenfist wrote:
jpk5372 wrote:Thanks everyone for your responses! I still don't know what I'm going to do but hearing both sides is at least calming me down a little =)

yeah...and maybe giddiness is the wrong word, but when i look at columbias course offerings and externship opportunities (oh god, the UN!) i just feel so passionate and excited to go an learn! and then Chicago is more like 'well this is a good school I'm sure I'll get through it. law school is law school'

hiddenfist

New

Post by hiddenfist » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:26 pm

jpk5372 wrote:
hiddenfist wrote:

yeah...and maybe giddiness is the wrong word, but when i look at columbias course offerings and externship opportunities (oh god, the UN!) i just feel so passionate and excited to go an learn! and then Chicago is more like 'well this is a good school I'm sure I'll get through it. law school is law school'
Yep, and "Hyde Park isn't thaaaattt bad..."

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:28 pm

WhirledWorld wrote:

TITCR.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”