DePaul ($$) vs. Chicago-Kent (zero) for IP law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

DePaul (15k/yr) vs. Chicago-Kent (zero) ?

DePaul with money
32%
Chicago-Kent with none
68%

Total votes: 25

smdewart

DePaul ($$) vs. Chicago-Kent (zero) for IP law

Postby smdewart » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:22 am

Hi guys, I'm having a bit of a dilemma. I've been accepted to all the part-time programs in Chicago and have narrowed my choices down to DePaul and Chicago-Kent. I'm a working professional with quite a few years of marketing/advertising/online experience and intend to pursue IP law (copyright, TM, branding, etc.).

What does everyone think? Details below. (And assuming I *am* going... please no remarks about how it's not necessary to go to either school... :-)

DePaul:
+ Offered $15k per year (first year unconditional, subsequently requires 3.2 GPA)
+ Good IP program
- Lower ranked
- Questionable career prospects
- Blah building
- No summer 1L classes

Chicago-Kent:
+ GREAT IP program
+ Keeps climbing in the rankings and seems to have a very positive trajectory generally
+ Great faculty/building
+ Seems to have better career prospects vs. DePaul
+ Can start 1L in the summer (takes huge weight off fall semester)
- No scholarship

MrKappus

Re: DePaul ($$) vs. Chicago-Kent (zero) for IP law

Postby MrKappus » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:25 am

45 G's running at 6-8% ain't no tea party. I'd take DePaul. The workload PT isn't ever going to be that bad, so I wouldn't go ~50 grand more in debt just to take some summer courses. Rankings after the top 20 or so don't really matter. If you're PT and a professional, your GPA, WE, regional ties, and extracurric's will make or break you (not 20 or so spots in the rankings). Just my $0.02. Also, probably obvious, but you should ask to get the scholarship stips removed. Can't hurt.

smdewart

Postby smdewart » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:15 pm

Thanks for the constructive feedback. DePaul said no removal of stipulations, unfortunately. Anyone else have a perspective?

carrier

Postby carrier » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:27 pm

It sounds like you'd take Kent if the costs were the same. If you are willing wait a year and improve your LSAT a bit, you could easily be in Kent's scholarship range. I'm 164/2.95 and got $15k/year from Kent part-time. Kent scholarships also are tiered, so it was something like $15k w/ a 3.2, $7500 w/ a 3.0, or just $9k guaranteed.

That being said, I don't think job prospects in IP are all that much different between the two. Your experience, existing connections, and networking ability while in school will be bigger driving factors.

smdewart

Postby smdewart » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Hi, anyone else have advice?

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:48 pm

Retake?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:55 pm

smdewart wrote:Hi, anyone else have advice?

Nobody cares about how good the IP program is at your school.

You are going to need top10% grades to have a decent shot at getting into a firm that litigates IP.

jpSartre

Postby jpSartre » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:32 pm

Depaul is much better known among Chicago lawyers, and are giving you money. Its easily depaul

administrator

Postby administrator » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:07 pm

From my experience, many employers definitely care about Kent IP. Most of the people I know who got good IP jobs from Kent were not in the top 10 percent. Kent has a really good reputation for IP, so take the advice of Kent students who are actually studying/practicing IP rather than outsiders who don't have any actual experience with the program/school. Kent also places IP people nationally, but this appears to be more the case for patent law rather than copyright and trademark.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”