Splitter applying Fall '11: ED UVA or Georgetown? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Best cycle plan?

ED UVA
68%
ED Georgetown
16%
Work for a couple years and apply to Northwestern
16%
RD BU and other t20-30s
No votes

Total votes: 25

Tamponymous

New

Splitter applying Fall '11: ED UVA or Georgetown?

Post by Tamponymous » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:22 am

As of now, I'm planning to apply this fall.
-non-URM
-3.0X from top 5 Ivy undergrad with no debt.
-PI related softs (non-profit internships/part time work), want PI law
-Took lsat three times 16X, 16X, 171
-Would like to work in any of the NE cities (D.C. to Boston).

Two general questions:
1. I'd be thrilled with t14 at sticker so I'm planning to ED early in the cycle. I know UVA has a rep for being splitter friendly, but I would prefer a more professional, business minded environment, which gives me pause about UVA. Is UVA really that fratty? If it is to a ridiculous degree, I expect it could hurt my performance. Think it's worth putting up with for the rank?

2. From what I've read, Georgetown has a rep for having poor employment prospects compared to its peer schools. Would I be better off somewhere with a smaller class like BU instead of Georgetown?

Thanks a bunch for any advice you can throw my way!

dpk711

Silver

Re: Splitter applying Fall '11: ED UVA or Georgetown?

Post by dpk711 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:23 am

don't ED to GULC

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:31 am

dpk711 wrote:don't ED to GULC
Also, are you in-state at VA? Willing to move there? Tough to see you not getting in to UVA ED if so.

Tamponymous

New

Post by Tamponymous » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:39 am

sundance95 wrote:
Also, are you in-state at VA? Willing to move there? Tough to see you not getting in to UVA ED if so.
Thanks for the reassurance, sundance.

Nope, I'm not in VA. And I would like to avoid any long-term residence in the South. I much prefer the big cities in the Northeast.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:42 am

Tamponymous wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
Thanks for the reassurance, sundance.

Nope, I'm not in VA. And I would like to avoid any long-term residence in the South. I much prefer the big cities in the Northeast.
I hear you. Dunno if you include DC as a big city in the NE, but I moved to Alexandria before applying and got in-state. That 15K discount feels good given that I'm not expecting any merit aid as an ED splitter. Best of luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:46 am

? UVA has slightly better job prospects, but if you'd rather be in DC than in a small town during law school I think that could shift the decision to at least being extremely close. That's assuming though that your were implying that of the two schools GULC should be ruled out because it is a clearly inferior option (rather than just thinking that OP would have a better shot at UVA).

I kind of doubt OP will get either though with a 3.0 GPA/171(3rd attempt)... but hopefully I'm wrong about that.
Last edited by 3ThrowAway99 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:50 am

I'd recommend working a couple years, not only because it'll improve your admission chances at any of these schools, but also because it'll prepare you for law school better. I honestly see a consistent relationship between pre-LS WE and LS success among the people I've known at top law schools.

That said, if you ED to UVA on the first day, you might be able to ED to GULC if UVA doesn't take you. That would give you two bites of the apple in one year.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:52 am

vanwinkle wrote:
That said, if you ED to UVA on the first day, you might be able to ED to GULC if UVA doesn't take you. That would give you two bites of the apple in one year.
WOW. Have your cake and eat it too OP! :lol:

bender18

Bronze

Post by bender18 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:54 am

I'm assuming applying ED to GULC would lock you into going there at sticker, and that might not be what you want to do. I thought about applying ED to GULC this cycle, and then elected not to. It was a good choice for me because I got into Georgetown anyway, and eventually decided not to go (and to instead take the scholly money at GW).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:22 pm

i think it might be possible to ED at multiple places. Michshitgan, uva and GULC... depending on when the deadlines are.

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:26 pm

Ed to penn. Ivys like other ivys. If you miss, then ED to UVA.

Tamponymous

New

Post by Tamponymous » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:36 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I'd recommend working a couple years, not only because it'll improve your admission chances at any of these schools, but also because it'll prepare you for law school better. I honestly see a consistent relationship between pre-LS WE and LS success among the people I've known at top law schools.

I'm leaning towards working first at this point. In addition to the points you made, it makes sense to distance myself as much as possible from the GPA.

I think once I do apply, I'll ED UVA, then t14 peers like Penn and NU, and RD Georgetown and below.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:04 pm

FYI--as for the fratty concern with UVA, it's not really that much of a problem (albeit in my limited exposure to UVA). From what I've heard, it exists, but I know from first-hand experience that there are tons of people who aren't a part of it. I loved it in Charlottesville, and I love the northeast and am not much of a partier. If you're concerned, I would suggest visiting once classes are back in session in the first week or two of September.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:53 pm

vanwinkle wrote: That said, if you ED to UVA on the first day, you might be able to ED to GULC if UVA doesn't take you. That would give you two bites of the apple in one year.
TITCR. If you ED September 1st to UVA you'll know by october and be able to ED to GULC.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:13 pm

Tamponymous wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:I'd recommend working a couple years, not only because it'll improve your admission chances at any of these schools, but also because it'll prepare you for law school better. I honestly see a consistent relationship between pre-LS WE and LS success among the people I've known at top law schools.

I'm leaning towards working first at this point. In addition to the points you made, it makes sense to distance myself as much as possible from the GPA.

I think once I do apply, I'll ED UVA, then t14 peers like Penn and NU, and RD Georgetown and below.

Thanks for the help, everyone!
You cant double dip with NU, but besides that, your plan sounds credited.
Apply EARLY. Like Sept 1. You might be done with your cycle Sept 2 (I think someone on TLS EDd UVa on the 1st and got in on the 2nd).

Good luck

enron123

Bronze

Post by enron123 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:10 am

Do people actually care if you did undergrad at an IVY that isn't the one you are applying to?

bender18

Bronze

Post by bender18 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:47 pm

enron123 wrote:Do people actually care if you did undergrad at an IVY that isn't the one you are applying to?
I doubt it. Except for a couple of exceptions, your undergrad institution doesn't matter. It's your GPA that really counts.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:49 pm

enron123 wrote:Do people actually care if you did undergrad at an IVY that isn't the one you are applying to?
Some people do care about such things, but not adcomms, which I think is what you're actually asking about.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”