Splitter applying Fall '11: ED UVA or Georgetown?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Best cycle plan?

ED UVA
16
70%
ED Georgetown
4
17%
Work for a couple years and apply to Northwestern
3
13%
RD BU and other t20-30s
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 23

Tamponymous
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:18 pm

Splitter applying Fall '11: ED UVA or Georgetown?

Postby Tamponymous » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:22 am

As of now, I'm planning to apply this fall.
-non-URM
-3.0X from top 5 Ivy undergrad with no debt.
-PI related softs (non-profit internships/part time work), want PI law
-Took lsat three times 16X, 16X, 171
-Would like to work in any of the NE cities (D.C. to Boston).

Two general questions:
1. I'd be thrilled with t14 at sticker so I'm planning to ED early in the cycle. I know UVA has a rep for being splitter friendly, but I would prefer a more professional, business minded environment, which gives me pause about UVA. Is UVA really that fratty? If it is to a ridiculous degree, I expect it could hurt my performance. Think it's worth putting up with for the rank?

2. From what I've read, Georgetown has a rep for having poor employment prospects compared to its peer schools. Would I be better off somewhere with a smaller class like BU instead of Georgetown?

Thanks a bunch for any advice you can throw my way!

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Splitter applying Fall '11: ED UVA or Georgetown?

Postby dpk711 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:23 am

don't ED to GULC

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Splitter applying Fall '11: ED UVA or Georgetown?

Postby sundance95 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:31 am

dpk711 wrote:don't ED to GULC

Also, are you in-state at VA? Willing to move there? Tough to see you not getting in to UVA ED if so.

Tamponymous
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:18 pm

Re: Splitter applying Fall '11: ED UVA or Georgetown?

Postby Tamponymous » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:39 am

sundance95 wrote:
dpk711 wrote:don't ED to GULC

Also, are you in-state at VA? Willing to move there? Tough to see you not getting in to UVA ED if so.


Thanks for the reassurance, sundance.

Nope, I'm not in VA. And I would like to avoid any long-term residence in the South. I much prefer the big cities in the Northeast.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Splitter applying Fall '11: ED UVA or Georgetown?

Postby sundance95 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:42 am

Tamponymous wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
dpk711 wrote:don't ED to GULC

Also, are you in-state at VA? Willing to move there? Tough to see you not getting in to UVA ED if so.


Thanks for the reassurance, sundance.

Nope, I'm not in VA. And I would like to avoid any long-term residence in the South. I much prefer the big cities in the Northeast.

I hear you. Dunno if you include DC as a big city in the NE, but I moved to Alexandria before applying and got in-state. That 15K discount feels good given that I'm not expecting any merit aid as an ED splitter. Best of luck.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Splitter applying Fall '11: ED UVA or Georgetown?

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:46 am

dpk711 wrote:don't ED to GULC


? UVA has slightly better job prospects, but if you'd rather be in DC than in a small town during law school I think that could shift the decision to at least being extremely close. That's assuming though that your were implying that of the two schools GULC should be ruled out because it is a clearly inferior option (rather than just thinking that OP would have a better shot at UVA).

I kind of doubt OP will get either though with a 3.0 GPA/171(3rd attempt)... but hopefully I'm wrong about that.
Last edited by Lawquacious on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Splitter applying Fall '11: ED UVA or Georgetown?

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:50 am

I'd recommend working a couple years, not only because it'll improve your admission chances at any of these schools, but also because it'll prepare you for law school better. I honestly see a consistent relationship between pre-LS WE and LS success among the people I've known at top law schools.

That said, if you ED to UVA on the first day, you might be able to ED to GULC if UVA doesn't take you. That would give you two bites of the apple in one year.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Splitter applying Fall '11: ED UVA or Georgetown?

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:52 am

vanwinkle wrote:
That said, if you ED to UVA on the first day, you might be able to ED to GULC if UVA doesn't take you. That would give you two bites of the apple in one year.


WOW. Have your cake and eat it too OP! :lol:

User avatar
bender18
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: Splitter applying Fall '11: ED UVA or Georgetown?

Postby bender18 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:54 am

I'm assuming applying ED to GULC would lock you into going there at sticker, and that might not be what you want to do. I thought about applying ED to GULC this cycle, and then elected not to. It was a good choice for me because I got into Georgetown anyway, and eventually decided not to go (and to instead take the scholly money at GW).

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: Splitter applying Fall '11: ED UVA or Georgetown?

Postby thexfactor » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:22 pm

i think it might be possible to ED at multiple places. Michshitgan, uva and GULC... depending on when the deadlines are.

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Splitter applying Fall '11: ED UVA or Georgetown?

Postby Law Sauce » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:26 pm

Ed to penn. Ivys like other ivys. If you miss, then ED to UVA.

Tamponymous
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:18 pm

Re: Splitter applying Fall '11: ED UVA or Georgetown?

Postby Tamponymous » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:36 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I'd recommend working a couple years, not only because it'll improve your admission chances at any of these schools, but also because it'll prepare you for law school better. I honestly see a consistent relationship between pre-LS WE and LS success among the people I've known at top law schools.

That said, if you ED to UVA on the first day, you might be able to ED to GULC if UVA doesn't take you. That would give you two bites of the apple in one year.


I'm leaning towards working first at this point. In addition to the points you made, it makes sense to distance myself as much as possible from the GPA.

I think once I do apply, I'll ED UVA, then t14 peers like Penn and NU, and RD Georgetown and below.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

c_dubya_s
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:58 am

Re: Splitter applying Fall '11: ED UVA or Georgetown?

Postby c_dubya_s » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:04 pm

FYI--as for the fratty concern with UVA, it's not really that much of a problem (albeit in my limited exposure to UVA). From what I've heard, it exists, but I know from first-hand experience that there are tons of people who aren't a part of it. I loved it in Charlottesville, and I love the northeast and am not much of a partier. If you're concerned, I would suggest visiting once classes are back in session in the first week or two of September.

User avatar
coldshoulder
Posts: 963
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Re: Splitter applying Fall '11: ED UVA or Georgetown?

Postby coldshoulder » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:53 pm

vanwinkle wrote:That said, if you ED to UVA on the first day, you might be able to ED to GULC if UVA doesn't take you. That would give you two bites of the apple in one year.

TITCR. If you ED September 1st to UVA you'll know by october and be able to ED to GULC.

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Splitter applying Fall '11: ED UVA or Georgetown?

Postby trudat15 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:13 pm

Tamponymous wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:I'd recommend working a couple years, not only because it'll improve your admission chances at any of these schools, but also because it'll prepare you for law school better. I honestly see a consistent relationship between pre-LS WE and LS success among the people I've known at top law schools.

That said, if you ED to UVA on the first day, you might be able to ED to GULC if UVA doesn't take you. That would give you two bites of the apple in one year.


I'm leaning towards working first at this point. In addition to the points you made, it makes sense to distance myself as much as possible from the GPA.

I think once I do apply, I'll ED UVA, then t14 peers like Penn and NU, and RD Georgetown and below.

Thanks for the help, everyone!


You cant double dip with NU, but besides that, your plan sounds credited.
Apply EARLY. Like Sept 1. You might be done with your cycle Sept 2 (I think someone on TLS EDd UVa on the 1st and got in on the 2nd).

Good luck

User avatar
enron123
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:45 pm

Re: Splitter applying Fall '11: ED UVA or Georgetown?

Postby enron123 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:10 am

Do people actually care if you did undergrad at an IVY that isn't the one you are applying to?

User avatar
bender18
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: Splitter applying Fall '11: ED UVA or Georgetown?

Postby bender18 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:47 pm

enron123 wrote:Do people actually care if you did undergrad at an IVY that isn't the one you are applying to?


I doubt it. Except for a couple of exceptions, your undergrad institution doesn't matter. It's your GPA that really counts.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Splitter applying Fall '11: ED UVA or Georgetown?

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:49 pm

enron123 wrote:Do people actually care if you did undergrad at an IVY that isn't the one you are applying to?

Some people do care about such things, but not adcomms, which I think is what you're actually asking about.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests