Columbia (Sticker) vs Cornell (Sticker) vs. Emory ($$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which is the best choice?

Columbia (Sticker)
74%
Cornell (Sticker)
No votes
Emory ($$$)
26%

Total votes: 34

massattack

New

Columbia (Sticker) vs Cornell (Sticker) vs. Emory ($$$)

Post by massattack » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:07 pm

I haven't heard back from the first two.

Hypothetically... If I get in, would it be work racking up that debt (200k+)?

Keep in mind...I have no problem living in ATL.

massattack

New

Re: Columbia (Sticker) vs Cornell (Sticker) vs. Emory ($$$)

Post by massattack » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:12 pm

(this question might also help out others who are choosing between T14 at sticker and T30s with scholarships)

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:13 pm

Columbia>>>>Cornell (at equal price)

How much debt would you have at Emory? Where do you want to work? What type of work do you want?

You might get Cornell but you won't get CLS.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:16 pm

I wouldn't even begin to consider it until you are accepted to either. You are going to get a bunch of people telling you (I'm assuming) to go to Columbia or Cornell. I'd recommend being content with the good options you have now and worrying about crossing that bridge if you even arrive at it.

massattack

New

Post by massattack » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:16 pm

bk187 wrote:Columbia>>>>Cornell (at equal price)

How much debt would you have at Emory? Where do you want to work? What type of work do you want?

I would have appx 50k in debt from Emory TOTAL.
I'll work anywhere. Preferable work as a lawyer (lol)
But seriously, I'm not even sure what kind of law I want to practice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:18 pm

believe it or not, this is the exact hypothetical question i too am facing. i know that well be hearing back by the 22nd and that we both know that we wont get a red cent from either cls or cornell this late in the game. hence, for the latter 2 choices, the debt will approach 250k with interest. if we dont secure the almighty biglaw job or pi with lrap were screwed. thus, the likelihood is that we will be screwed and that well be forever in debt. on the otherhand, emory affords us the southeast especially atlanta. i do believe, based on the ASD conferences that by 2014, were going to be in better shape if they help get us the small and midlaw connections. finally, although it would be nice to attend t14, the risks of failure, especially if we dont graduate at the top of our classes is to much to handle. imo

massattack

New

Post by massattack » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:18 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:I wouldn't even begin to consider it until you are accepted to either. You are going to get a bunch of people telling you (I'm assuming) to go to Columbia or Cornell. I'd recommend being content with the good options you have now and worrying about crossing that bridge if you even arrive at it.

Yeah that's really good advice. This is so difficult though. I'm really upset they are making me wait so long without a decision. In theory (and probably in all reality), I should just wait till I get to the bridge before I figure out how to cross it.

That being said, it's such a gorgeous bridge :/ I kind of want to explore it a little.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:20 pm

Voted Columbia. But then again I turned down UCLA $$$ for Columbia sticker, which would make a choice to turn down Emory $$$ that much easier for me.

Cornell should be out of consideration and you should note that Emory grads are having an uproar about the lack of legal jobs for Emory students

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:20 pm

Drummerboy, I love ya, but if you get into one of those two schools I'm punching myself in the face lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:21 pm

massattack wrote:I would have appx 50k in debt from Emory TOTAL.
I'll work anywhere. Preferable work as a lawyer (lol)
But seriously, I'm not even sure what kind of law I want to practice.
If you are fine stuck in the south then I would take the freedom that less debt provides you.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:22 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:I wouldn't even begin to consider it until you are accepted to either. You are going to get a bunch of people telling you (I'm assuming) to go to Columbia or Cornell. I'd recommend being content with the good options you have now and worrying about crossing that bridge if you even arrive at it.
Yep. And no offense, but what makes you think you have any shot at Columbia with a 166/3.8? Are you URM?

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:22 pm

drummerboy wrote:believe it or not, this is the exact hypothetical question i too am facing. i know that well be hearing back by the 22nd and that we both know that we wont get a red cent from either cls or cornell this late in the game. hence, for the latter 2 choices, the debt will approach 250k with interest. if we dont secure the almighty biglaw job or pi with lrap were screwed. thus, the likelihood is that we will be screwed and that well be forever in debt. on the otherhand, emory affords us the southeast especially atlanta. i do believe, based on the ASD conferences that by 2014, were going to be in better shape if they help get us the small and midlaw connections. finally, although it would be nice to attend t14, the risks of failure, especially if we dont graduate at the top of our classes is to much to handle. imo
Pretty sure that one of the reasons people choose Columbia over $$$ is because they don't have to graduate at the top of their class to get a firm or PI gig. This is the problem you face at Emory

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:23 pm

agreed. it wont be too long until we have to make this decision so have patience. i predict a wl in my case. as per feel the heat, i agree that we should be content with our options. at the end of the day, doing well at any top 30 plus school we attend will be the determining factor for some degree of financial success. i will definitely follow this thread along with you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:26 pm

yes but where in the class do you have to graduate at columbia. do you think that someone in the middle is going to get the pi or biglaw job or the gunners at the very top? lets not forget that although you may get interviews securing that job in this market will probably require top 10 to 20 percent even from cls. what do you think?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:28 pm

drummerboy wrote:yes but where in the class do you have to graduate at columbia. do you think that someone in the middle is going to get the pi or biglaw job or the gunners at the very top? lets not forget that although you may get interviews securing that job in this market will probably require top 10 to 20 percent even from cls. what do you think?
At least 1/2 of CLS's class is going to be able to land biglaw.

massattack

New

Post by massattack » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:29 pm

bk187 wrote:Columbia>>>>Cornell (at equal price)

yeah it's a reach...

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:30 pm

drummerboy wrote:yes but where in the class do you have to graduate at columbia. do you think that someone in the middle is going to get the pi or biglaw job or the gunners at the very top? lets not forget that although you may get interviews securing that job in this market will probably require top 10 to 20 percent even from cls. what do you think?
I highly doubt you need to be top 10-20 percent to break ATL from Columbia. If there is a lack of Columbia grads in ATL market I think it is much more likely to be due to self-selection. But maybe someone with more direct knowledge (e.g. a Columbia student) could address this.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:33 pm

this is false. CLS took a big hit in the last 3 year for firm placement from ~70! to ~50! These are not interview numbers. Then you add PI, gov and clerks. I am not saying there is no risk or that the debt is not crushing but 10-20% is categorically wrong

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:33 pm

massattack wrote:
yeah it's a reach hail-mary ...
FTFY. Cornell is a reach for you; Columbia is more than a regular reach for you. But I'm not trying to be discouraging or make fun of you for applying.. I applied to some 'reaches' that were even more ridiculous than that with my numbers.
Last edited by 3ThrowAway99 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

massattack

New

Post by massattack » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
massattack wrote:
FTFY. Cornell is a reach for you. But I'm not trying to be discouraging or make fun of you for applying.. I applied to some 'reaches' that were even more ridiculous than that with my numbers.
:/ yeah

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:37 pm

massattack wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
massattack wrote:
FTFY. Cornell is a reach for you. But I'm not trying to be discouraging or make fun of you for applying.. I applied to some 'reaches' that were even more ridiculous than that with my numbers.
I think you do have a reasonable shot at Cornell though, so good luck with that. Hope you can prove the (probably rare) exception with Columbia too, but I just wouldn't think it is realistically going to happen.

Out of curiosity (given your GPA) did you only take the LSAT once?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:41 pm

At this point, all this speculation is just mental masturbation. But its somewhat enlightening. Do you guys believe then that no matter what, ticket at Columbia is a prudent move, no matter where youre likely to practice?In other words, can it really give you a distinct advantage over anything ranked lower?

massattack

New

Post by massattack » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:41 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
massattack wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
massattack wrote:
I think you do have a reasonable shot at Cornell though, so good luck with that. Hope you can prove the (probably rare) exception with Columbia too, but I just wouldn't think it is realistically going to happen.

Out of curiosity (given your GPA) did you only take the LSAT once?
no twice

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:42 pm

drummerboy wrote:At this point, all this speculation is just mental masturbation. But its somewhat enlightening. Do you guys believe then that no matter what, ticket at Columbia is a prudent move, no matter where youre likely to practice?In other words, can it really give you a distinct advantage over anything ranked lower?
Yes, it definitely provides a large advantage assuming that the market either doesn't care about ties (NYC/DC) or you have ties to the market. The question is whether it is worth the difference in cost and that comes down to which school is being compared to CLS, what the cost difference is, and what one's goals are.

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:50 pm

I guess im referring to the ops choices, Emory in particular. I certainly dont want to feel the pressure of having to secure biglaw and really dont mind the SE. From what others have said, you pretty much have to get biglaw or PI with LRAP to survive the debt burden. Thats what Im afraid of

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”