Anyone choose Penn over Chi? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
deathviaboredom

Bronze

Re: Anyone choose Penn over Chi?

Post by deathviaboredom » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:22 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
deathviaboredom wrote:
<3 posner <3
<3 law and econ <3
</3 depression </3
</3 lack of social life </3
who says I'll make friends at penn?
lol I really don't think you'll be depressed at Chi...have you seen how cool we are in the 2014 thread? I mean, c'mon. If nothing else, all our adorable pets will cheer you up.
I know!! It really is cute. Love the Lior worship.
People at Chi really love learning law. It's really motivating. But I thought Penn was way friendlier at ASW, esp in hindsight.

Someone at Chi told me that Penn was an awful school. He was a first-class asshole

mettasutta

Bronze

Post by mettasutta » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:51 pm

Veyron wrote:
Yes, but the difference between Vandy, UCLA, Texas and the schools immediately below is huge (as ATL recently noted). That jump basically doubles your chances at biglaw. Penn and Chi isn't really the same comparison.
There isn't THAT huge of a difference between Vandy/UCLA/Texas/USC and some the schools ranked immediately below; if you go by NLJ250 stats, BC/BU are effectively their peers, despite the lower USNWR ranking...

To OP: Unless you want to go into academia, choosing Penn over Chicago because it's a better "fit" for you personally (proximity to friends, more collegial/friendly, etc.) would not be a bad idea at all.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:55 pm

mettasutta wrote:There isn't THAT huge of a difference between Vandy/UCLA/Texas/USC and some the schools ranked immediately below; if you go by NLJ250 stats, BC/BU are effectively their peers, despite the lower USNWR ranking...
BU/BC and to a small extent Fordham are the only ones that come close to the T18. Everyone else falls quite far from the tree.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:59 pm

Go with where you feel comfortable. 1L is going to be hell, and it might as well be a hell you like slightly more. Go with your gut!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:01 am

Xifeng wrote:Go with where you feel comfortable. 1L is going to be hell, and it might as well be a hell you like slightly more. Go with your gut!
This.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

deathviaboredom

Bronze

Post by deathviaboredom » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:04 am

mettasutta wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Yes, but the difference between Vandy, UCLA, Texas and the schools immediately below is huge (as ATL recently noted). That jump basically doubles your chances at biglaw. Penn and Chi isn't really the same comparison.
There isn't THAT huge of a difference between Vandy/UCLA/Texas/USC and some the schools ranked immediately below; if you go by NLJ250 stats, BC/BU are effectively their peers, despite the lower USNWR ranking...

To OP: Unless you want to go into academia, choosing Penn over Chicago because it's a better "fit" for you personally (proximity to friends, more collegial/friendly, etc.) would not be a bad idea at all.
it's not a better fit. the people seem kinda, not unmotivated, but not intellectually motivated.

also - there's a sea of B+s, which I HATE

deathviaboredom

Bronze

Post by deathviaboredom » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:04 am

Knock wrote:
Xifeng wrote:Go with where you feel comfortable. 1L is going to be hell, and it might as well be a hell you like slightly more. Go with your gut!
This.
My gut is 50-50. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be obsessively posting.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:05 am

deathviaboredom wrote:
mettasutta wrote:
Veyron wrote:

it's not a better fit. the people seem kinda, not unmotivated, but not intellectually motivated.

also - there's a sea of B+s, which I HATE
There's a sea of 177s at Chicago, it's the same thing.

TBH, if you are truly absolutely 50/50 and can't find something to break the tie, then if I were in your shoes I would just default to the higher ranked school.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:08 am

Last edited by Xifeng on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:13 am

Its more of a professional school than Chicago, less of a wonkish school. Maybe its because we have a lot of students who used to work on the street or something, who knows?

What your personality is pretty much dictates which one you should go to.
Last edited by Veyron on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:15 am

Last edited by Xifeng on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deathviaboredom

Bronze

Post by deathviaboredom » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:32 am

Xifeng wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Its more of a professional school than Chicago, less of a wonkish school. What your personality is pretty much dictates which one you should go to.
:?:
Can I just tell y'all that I've LITERALLY been described as "wonky." Rather recently, too.
Last edited by deathviaboredom on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:39 am

deathviaboredom wrote:
Xifeng wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Its more of a professional school than Chicago, less of a wonkish school. What your personality is pretty much dictates which one you should go to.
:?:
Can I just tell y'all that I've LITERALLY been described as "wonky." Rather recently, too.

I am afraid of facing a Sunday (which I hate) in the cold, in Regents (or somewhere) far away from other people that I know, simply not knowing how to kill the time and not wanting to because it's cold, all burnt out from studying.

IS A SOCIAL FEAR A REASON TO TURN DOWN SUCH AN EXCELLENT SCHOOL??

I thinkk you would do great at Chicago. Send in your deposit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:39 am

wait, do you think it's warm in Pennsylvania?

Maybe you should go to the taking questions thread and ask them what they do on cold days. I mean, everyone who lives anywhere it's cold makes it through the winter (well, theoretically...). Can I ask where you're from?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:40 am

[/quote]

:?:[/quote]

I am afraid of facing a Sunday (which I hate) in the cold, in Regents (or somewhere) far away from other people that I know, simply not knowing how to kill the time and not wanting to because it's cold, all burnt out from studying.

IS A SOCIAL FEAR A REASON TO TURN DOWN SUCH AN EXCELLENT SCHOOL??[/quote]

I thinkk you would do great at Chicago. Send in your deposit.[/quote]

+1, you sir, belong at Chicago.

Younger Abstention

Bronze

Post by Younger Abstention » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:42 am

Unless you want to be a law prof and/or attain a prestigious COA clerkship, you aren't losing anything by attending Penn. And even then, if you can't do it at Penn, chances are you wouldn't be able to do it at Chi either.

deathviaboredom

Bronze

Post by deathviaboredom » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:43 am

Veyron wrote:
:?:[/quote]

IS A SOCIAL FEAR A REASON TO TURN DOWN SUCH AN EXCELLENT SCHOOL??[/quote]

I thinkk you would do great at Chicago. Send in your deposit.[/quote]

+1, you sir, belong at Chicago.[/quote]

Are y'all calling me socially awkward?! O_o

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

absolutazn87

Silver

Post by absolutazn87 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:47 am

Yeah I agree with what's been said above. Go to Chicago.

You seem like you really like the intellectual (dare I say) RIGOR of Chi. The only thing you seem to be afraid of is making new friends and the social scene. Don't worry. I know a few people going to Chi that are awesome people :) and I'm sure you'll find your niche.

You love law/econ, Posner, and you said you're not sure you'll make friends at Penn. And if you really feel that Penn students aren't intellectual enough, you belong at Chi :D

deathviaboredom

Bronze

Post by deathviaboredom » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:49 am

Last edited by deathviaboredom on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:52 am

Ask both for more money, if any either of them give you any, go there.

deathviaboredom

Bronze

Post by deathviaboredom » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:53 am

Knock wrote:Ask both for more money, if any either of them give you any, go there.
MY DEADLINE IS TOMORROW THATS NOT HAPPENING.

Please post thoughts all night so i can read them when I wake up tomorrow!!!

Thank you anonymous internet strangers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Badger3920

New

Post by Badger3920 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:20 am

Thought I'd add my 2 cents:

This isn't a hard decision - you're just making it hard on yourself because you're holding two options, you like them both, and the moment you feel like leaning one way - you think you'll lose your other option. The sad truth is that you WILL only be able to keep one option, thus foreclosing the other (unless you transfer later).

My thoughts:
-Chicago and Penn are both highly regarded schools with great reputations. Both open doors to clerking/academia/biglaw/'mid-law', you name it
-You seem to be professing a decently strong gut-feeling for Penn, and then hoping for others to talk you into Chicago with some magic morsel of thought
-You seem to be assuming that going to Penn will close doors that Chicago keeps open; Penn is an Ivy League - top 10 law school; I don't think you should heavily worry about this
-The economy is bad, the Chicago legal market has had an especially tough time from what I understand, and your job prospects in NYC (which you admittedly want to be close to) might be better than in either Chicago or Philly. If you think you can network better in NYC in one city over another, I'd consider that. Of course, Chicago students place well in NYC - so I'm not sure exactly which way, or how strongly this cuts for you - if at all. It might cut differently depending on what career path you might want to pursue. Spend at least some time thinking this through because, at this time next year, you'll be thinking about jobs.

What it boils down to is this. You have to pick a school. If you prefer Penn, then go there - it's an amazing school. I personally think you lose -nothing- by making this selection. If you think you'll frequently regret not having 'bit the bullet' and gone to Chicago - then go to Chicago. This is one part of the USNEWS rankings board where 2 ranks seem to matter very little.

Pick the school you feel most excited about, forget about the ranking. They both have prestige and opportunity.

2L/Columbia

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:24 am

Badger3920 wrote:Thought I'd add my 2 cents:

This isn't a hard decision - you're just making it hard on yourself because you're holding two options, you like them both, and the moment you feel like leaning one way - you think you'll lose your other option. The sad truth is that you WILL only be able to keep one option, thus foreclosing the other (unless you transfer later).

My thoughts:
-Chicago and Penn are both highly regarded schools with great reputations. Both open doors to clerking/academia/biglaw/'mid-law', you name it
-You seem to be professing a decently strong gut-feeling for Penn, and then hoping for others to talk you into Chicago with some magic morsel of thought
-You seem to be assuming that going to Penn will close doors that Chicago keeps open; Penn is an Ivy League - top 10 law school; I don't think you should heavily worry about this
-The economy is bad, the Chicago legal market has had an especially tough time from what I understand, and your job prospects in NYC (which you admittedly want to be close to) might be better. Of course, Chicago students place well in NYC - so I'm not sure exactly which way, or how strongly this cuts. It might cut differently depending on what career path you might want to pursue. Spend at least some time thinking this through because, at this time next year, you'll be thinking about jobs.

What it boils down to is this. You have to pick a school. If you prefer Penn, then go there - it's an amazing school. I personally think you lose -nothing- by making this selection. If you think you'll frequently regret not having 'bit the bullet' and gone to Chicago - then go to Chicago. This is one part of the USNEWS rankings board where 2 ranks seem to matter very little.

Pick the school you feel most excited about, forget about the ranking. They both have prestige and opportunity.

2L/Columbia
This. I may be wrong, but I get the feeling you want to attend Penn, but are maybe afraid of regretting turning down a higher ranked school later and possibly losing out on some opportunities. Any differences in the school are slight, and your 1L grades are going to be far more important in determining your career path. A common thought pattern, that as an 0L I think makes sense, is that you will likely do well in an environment you are happy in and like.

So don't be afraid to choose Penn if you prefer it!

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:28 am

I'm hearing a lot of "2 rankings difference is minimal," but it is still the case that firms prefer CCN over MVPB for many markets. Also, in the long run, chances of high level clerking are better for Chi. Chi is consistently ranks 4-6 and is still on a different class level compared to penn.

Also, are you sure you're not letting yourself become biased by a small # of a$$holes you met at Chi? Just sayin...I have a few friends @ Chi who are really chill & sociable, and I think a lot of Chi's rep is overstated.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:32 am

glewz wrote:I'm hearing a lot of "2 rankings difference is minimal," but it is still the case that firms prefer CCN over MVPB for many markets. Also, in the long run, chances of high level clerking are better for Chi. Chi is consistently ranks 4-6 and is still on a different class level compared to penn.

Also, are you sure you're not letting yourself become biased by a small # of a$$holes you met at Chi? Just sayin...I have a few friends @ Chi who are really chill & sociable, and I think a lot of Chi's rep is overstated.
MVPB is not a category that exists. B places like 20% of students into biglaw via OCI. Penn places like 50% (both pick up more via non-OCI channels obvi, but still)

In the long run, your chances of high level clearing are better from Chi but your chances of career mobility are better from Penn, both because the alumni network is better and because the school credential transfers more easily to non-legal fields. Again, what do you care about?

I just don't understand how people have trouble with this decision. I can't imagine any two schools that could be more different.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”