Anyone choose Penn over Chi?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Anyone choose Penn over Chi?

Postby beachbum » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:06 am

trudat15 wrote:
beachbum wrote:Is this real life?


If that's a ref to the little boy, you're no longer mediocre.


YES. Above average, here I come!

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Anyone choose Penn over Chi?

Postby trudat15 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:08 am

deathviaboredom wrote:
Muenchen wrote:
deathviaboredom wrote:Oh, Dany. *rolls eyes* + ^^proofreading error.


you mad, bro, or just new to the internet?


tiny bit annoyed that this thread became MAKE FUN OF DvB.

MAYBE ILL BE UR CLASSMATE NEXT YEAR.


Back on track. Dude, seriously. Go where you will be happiest. If that's Penn, go there. If you think the intellectual atmosphere, small class size, and Lior will make you happy enough to forgo their more friendly student body (according to your ASW impressions), go to Chicago. You cant really lose either way. Or go wherever the money is greater.

User avatar
Muenchen
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: Anyone choose Penn over Chi?

Postby Muenchen » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:14 am

deathviaboredom wrote:
Muenchen wrote:
deathviaboredom wrote:Oh, Dany. *rolls eyes* + ^^proofreading error.


you mad, bro, or just new to the internet?


tiny bit annoyed that this thread became MAKE FUN OF DvB.

MAYBE ILL BE UR CLASSMATE NEXT YEAR.

Image

deathviaboredom
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Anyone choose Penn over Chi?

Postby deathviaboredom » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:29 am

Muenchen wrote:
deathviaboredom wrote:
Muenchen wrote:
deathviaboredom wrote:Oh, Dany. *rolls eyes* + ^^proofreading error.


you mad, bro, or just new to the internet?


tiny bit annoyed that this thread became MAKE FUN OF DvB.

MAYBE ILL BE UR CLASSMATE NEXT YEAR.

Image


ha ha. thanks, munich.
edit: don't be a douche.

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: Anyone choose Penn over Chi?

Postby gbpackerbacker » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:17 am

Haha what the hell has the thread devolved to? I'm sensing a real Chi/Penn rivalry developing here... and I like it. :)

Of course, it is all in good fun....

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Anyone choose Penn over Chi?

Postby trudat15 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:03 am

deathviaboredom wrote:
ha ha. thanks, munich.
edit: don't be a douche.


He cant help it. :lol:
To be fair, you havent really presented yourself in the greatest light ITT.

deathviaboredom
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Anyone choose Penn over Chi?

Postby deathviaboredom » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:18 am

Ok. I've made a decision.

See you in Chicago next year!

(Be nice, Munich/Dany)

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: Anyone choose Penn over Chi?

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:03 am

glewz wrote:Wow you take life too seriously...Are you mad that you didn't get CCN or something? It's not a big deal...I'm putting out my personal preference dude.

And I still stand by my comments. Your responses were directed entirely at CoA, while I was referring to "higher level clerking." Those are two different matters; for all your (incredibly anal) close reading & quoting, you seem to have missed that distinction entirely.

On your last point, I'm not arguing that Chi is better for AIII BECAUSE of better SCOTUS placement. I do, however, think that from an applicant's perspective, the difference is not very meaningful. If the applicant were shooting to clerk, he/she would be aiming for a school's top %, and if I were that applicant with that kind of confidence, why wouldn't I put SCOTUS into the equation?

ALL of my comments are in line with ^ reasoning. Go cross check my comments like I know you will. I wouldn't be surprised if you had an Excel/Word doc with my username as its title. Goodness.

Haha, I take life too seriously? You're the one making it personal, brah. It doesn't take a spreadsheet (projecting much?) to think you're somewhat short of astute for linking me an article that says Penn outperformed Chicago when I ask for a source supporting your argument about Chicago's Article III clerkship superiority.

On another note, I don't know why what school I go to matters in light of the data, but I didn't get shut out of CCN. I am, however, saving 80k by going to a measly T10 (with slightly higher AIII clerkship placement, in fact - oh snap!). Thanks for guessing, though.



OP: Congrats on the decision!

deathviaboredom
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Anyone choose Penn over Chi?

Postby deathviaboredom » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:08 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
glewz wrote:Wow you take life too seriously...Are you mad that you didn't get CCN or something? It's not a big deal...I'm putting out my personal preference dude.

And I still stand by my comments. Your responses were directed entirely at CoA, while I was referring to "higher level clerking." Those are two different matters; for all your (incredibly anal) close reading & quoting, you seem to have missed that distinction entirely.

On your last point, I'm not arguing that Chi is better for AIII BECAUSE of better SCOTUS placement. I do, however, think that from an applicant's perspective, the difference is not very meaningful. If the applicant were shooting to clerk, he/she would be aiming for a school's top %, and if I were that applicant with that kind of confidence, why wouldn't I put SCOTUS into the equation?

ALL of my comments are in line with ^ reasoning. Go cross check my comments like I know you will. I wouldn't be surprised if you had an Excel/Word doc with my username as its title. Goodness.

Haha, I take life too seriously? You're the one making it personal, brah. It doesn't take a spreadsheet (projecting much?) to think you're somewhat short of astute for linking me an article that says Penn outperformed Chicago when I ask for a source supporting your argument about Chicago's Article III clerkship superiority.

On another note, I don't know why what school I go to matters in light of the data, but I didn't get shut out of CCN. I am, however, saving 80k by going to a measly T10 (with slightly higher AIII clerkship placement, in fact - oh snap!). Thanks for guessing, though.



OP: Congrats on the decision!


Ty!!

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: Anyone choose Penn over Chi?

Postby gbpackerbacker » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:58 pm

deathviaboredom wrote:Ok. I've made a decision.

See you in Chicago next year!

(Be nice, Munich/Dany)


Haha no no no no no!

Seriously though, congrats. Enjoy Chi!

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Anyone choose Penn over Chi?

Postby glewz » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:59 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:Haha, I take life too seriously? You're the one making it personal, brah. It doesn't take a spreadsheet (projecting much?) to think you're somewhat short of astute for linking me an article that says Penn outperformed Chicago when I ask for a source supporting your argument about Chicago's Article III clerkship superiority.

First, I wrote "The difference in statistics for CoA is negligible - SCOTUS is a different matter as you've mentioned, in which Chi is likely > Penn. Edit: Though if all else were equal and my goals were CoA, I'd choose Chi"

Then I said "You can find this online @ USNews or some other authority. Here's a TLS article for 2009 stats. All you need to do is google clerkship statistics...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75513"

I Never Actually Said that Penn Outperforms Chicago in Art III Clerking Stats. I specifically said that the differences were Negligible you FOOL. And then I cited stats that support my point that the differences were negligible.

You made an entire argument out of Nothing because of your insecurities about your own school.

FlightoftheEarls wrote:On another note, I don't know why what school I go to matters in light of the data, but I didn't get shut out of CCN. I am, however, saving 80k by going to a measly T10 (with slightly higher AIII clerkship placement, in fact - oh snap!). Thanks for guessing, though.


Yes, you sound insecure about your own school, which is why I was curious about whether you got shut out of CCN (that, and your ugrad gpa is sht...). You are clearly trying pretty hard to create an argument about CoA stats, and this is evident especially since you have so many comments on the matter in your post history.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Anyone choose Penn over Chi?

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:09 pm

Dany is cool.

Lawlcat wrote:statsandstuff


As I noted above, adding in 2007 and 2005 to the 2010/2009/2008 brings up NYU (though still slightly behind Penn) and brings down the ones that are acting anomalously (cough*Cornell*cough).

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: Anyone choose Penn over Chi?

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:23 pm

glewz wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:Haha, I take life too seriously? You're the one making it personal, brah. It doesn't take a spreadsheet (projecting much?) to think you're somewhat short of astute for linking me an article that says Penn outperformed Chicago when I ask for a source supporting your argument about Chicago's Article III clerkship superiority.

First, I wrote "The difference in statistics for CoA is negligible - SCOTUS is a different matter as you've mentioned, in which Chi is likely > Penn. Edit: Though if all else were equal and my goals were CoA, I'd choose Chi"

Then I said "You can find this online @ USNews or some other authority. Here's a TLS article for 2009 stats. All you need to do is google clerkship statistics...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75513"

I Never Actually Said that Penn Outperforms Chicago in Art III Clerking Stats. I specifically said that the differences were Negligible you FOOL. And then I cited stats that support my point that the differences were negligible.

You made an entire argument out of Nothing because of your insecurities about your own school.

FlightoftheEarls wrote:On another note, I don't know why what school I go to matters in light of the data, but I didn't get shut out of CCN. I am, however, saving 80k by going to a measly T10 (with slightly higher AIII clerkship placement, in fact - oh snap!). Thanks for guessing, though.


Yes, you sound insecure about your own school, which is why I was curious about whether you got shut out of CCN (that, and your ugrad gpa is sht...). You are clearly trying pretty hard to create an argument about CoA stats, and this is evident especially since you have so many comments on the matter in your post history.

Woah, dude. That got really aggressive. Deep breaths.

Ok. My initial response was to your statement that Chicago was better for "higher level clerking." You and I apparently had different perceptions of what that meant. In my mind (and I think in the mind of most law students who know how selective the process is), Article III clerkships are all relatively high level and selective. It's possible to have a different definition, though, and that's perfectly fine.

After rereading this, it's become apparent that you did indeed have a different definition, and you saw high level clerkships as including only COA/SCOTUS. You then pointed out to me that both Chicago and Penn had equal numbers at the COA level. That, to my mind, suggested that you were more or less just saying that Chicago's SCOTUS placement is better. That's totally fine, but that's why I specifically asked you if you were talking about SCOTUS. But you never said you were.

At that point we both recognized that Chicago has a decided edge over Penn for SCOTUS clerkships. But then you continued to inform me you would still choose Chicago for COA, and I preceded to ask you whether that was because of the SCOTUS data, Chicago's rank, or some other data that I hadn't seen. You informed that it was because of the "age-old prestige" of Chicago, and then switched your argument to the fact that it was about the backup options. I conceded that the backup options at Chicago are probably superior, but that I didn't think that responded to my question about why Chicago was the better school to attend for COA aspirations. You then asked why we were even talking about clerkships, and I made the mistake of trying to show you how I thought you'd made those claims. So, long story short: I missed the transition point where you stopped suggesting that Chicago was better for COA clerkships, but only that they were identical and Chicago was better because the non-clerkship prospects were better. In my defense, you never made any indication that you were talking about either a SCOTUS placement advantage or generally better non-clerkship prospects until one of your last posts, and your transition was pretty unclear. By that point, I made the mistake of assuming that the topic of the discussion hadn't changed. If you had just stated that you thought Chicago was better for "higher level clerking" because of superior SCOTUS placement like I'd asked from the outset instead of talking about Chicago's rank and prestige, I think this would have been a much less confusing discussion. Nevertheless, that's where things got hostile.

Now, I would like to point out that my school had absolutely nothing to do with this discussion (and I certainly didn't bring it in to the conversation) until you started suggesting that I was insecure because I got shut out of CCN. Only at that point, after you got surprisingly heated, did I defend my choice of schools. I also would like to point out that, if I were actually insecure about my "shit" UGPA, it certainly wouldn't have ever been in my profile. To be honest, though, I didn't even realize that was still up, but I do appreciate you deigning to respond to somebody with such a shit GPA.

I really don't have any animus towards you, nor did I intend to get you that riled up by this discussion. Nevertheless, my apologies for the miscommunication and the emotion that it stirred up.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Anyone choose Penn over Chi?

Postby Veyron » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Yes, you sound insecure about your own school, which is why I was curious about whether you got shut out of CCN (that, and your ugrad gpa is sht...). You are clearly trying pretty hard to create an argument about CoA stats, and this is evident especially since you have so many comments on the matter in your post history.


Chicago material.

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: Anyone choose Penn over Chi?

Postby Xifeng » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:19 pm

.
Last edited by Xifeng on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Anyone choose Penn over Chi?

Postby Sentry » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:27 pm

Xifeng wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Yes, you sound insecure about your own school, which is why I was curious about whether you got shut out of CCN (that, and your ugrad gpa is sht...). You are clearly trying pretty hard to create an argument about CoA stats, and this is evident especially since you have so many comments on the matter in your post history.


Chicago material.


...REALLY? Isn't this thread dead, or can you just not resist the urge to hate on any school that isn't Penn?

Life must be really boring in happy valley.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Anyone choose Penn over Chi?

Postby Emma. » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:32 pm

Veyron wrote:
Yes, you sound insecure about your own school, which is why I was curious about whether you got shut out of CCN (that, and your ugrad gpa is sht...). You are clearly trying pretty hard to create an argument about CoA stats, and this is evident especially since you have so many comments on the matter in your post history.


Chicago material.


Poor form, Veyron, poor form.

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Anyone choose Penn over Chi?

Postby glewz » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:35 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:Woah, dude. That got really aggressive.

This happens when someone not only misinterprets what I say but also pulls sentences out of context to create an argument.
FlightoftheEarls wrote:My initial response was to your statement that Chicago was better for "higher level clerking."

Again, I wrote that the stats for CoA were negligible, and for some reason you ignored what I wrote and instead said, "Yes, I see that, but those stats don't seem to suggest that Chicago has a "higher level" Article III clerkship placement advantage. To the contrary, Penn is slightly ahead of Chicago that year."
Did I actually say that Chicago has higher level Art III clerkship placement? No. I specifically said that differences were negligible. Do I need to requote myself again?

This is the precise point where the misunderstanding occurred. Yet again, I said the differences were negligible, and you continued to assume that I believed Chicago to have > chances at CoA.

You continued to write, "We got pigeon-holed into this discussion because you suggested that Chicago was the clear choice for COA clerkships." And again, this was not the case.

FlightoftheEarls wrote:You informed that it was because of the "age-old prestige" of Chicago, and then switched your argument to the fact that it was about the backup options. I conceded that the backup options at Chicago are probably superior, but that I didn't think that responded to my question about why Chicago was the better school to attend for COA aspirations.

On this last note, I clarified 2-3 times that though CoA stats were identical, if a student were going to attend Chi for CoA in mind, he/she should also consider SCOTUS + backup options.

FlightoftheEarls wrote:In my defense, you never made any indication that you were talking about either a SCOTUS placement advantage or generally better non-clerkship prospects until one of your last posts, and your transition was pretty unclear. By that point, I made the mistake of assuming that the topic of the discussion hadn't changed. If you had just stated that you thought Chicago was better for "higher level clerking" because of superior SCOTUS placement like I'd asked from the outset instead of talking about Chicago's rank and prestige, I think this would have been a much less confusing discussion. Nevertheless, that's where things got hostile.

Yes, on the first point, I never actually clarified SCOTUS until my last posts, but in my defense, at the start of our discussion, you accused me of saying something I had never actually written: "If this is all based on the SCOTUS numbers, that's fine - we should just say so then, instead of trying to pretend like SCOTUS clerkships measure COA placement any better than regular old Article III placement. If it is not, can anyone share this data? I'm specifically asking those who have stated that in this thread - Glewz and Younger Abstention"
By saying the above, you either misread a previous comment of mine or incorrectly drew the conclusion that by saying one school had higher level clerking prospects than another, I was suggesting that scotus measures placement in other areas.
And for all my comments on higher clerking, I was including SCOTUS into the definition - I don't know why anybody wouldn't.


FlightoftheEarls wrote:Now, I would like to point out that my school had absolutely nothing to do with this discussion (and I certainly didn't bring it in to the conversation) until you started suggesting that I was insecure because I got shut out of CCN. Only at that point, after you got surprisingly heated, did I defend my choice of schools. I also would like to point out that, if I were actually insecure about my "shit" UGPA, it certainly wouldn't have ever been in my profile. To be honest, though, I didn't even realize that was still up, but I do appreciate you deigning to respond to somebody with such a shit GPA.

I really don't have any animus towards you, nor did I intend to get you that riled up by this discussion. Nevertheless, my apologies for the miscommunication and the emotion that it stirred up.

Hmm, I'm not sure if this was intentional, but the tone in a good number of your posts were passive aggressive. And since you seemed to ignore the clarifications I made on those CoA stats, it seemed like I was speaking to a wall.

And on your point that school has nothing to do with the discussion, I really think it does - I don't think you'd be making any of those posts if you didn't feel the need to rep MVP's clerking results (in other threads as well).

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Anyone choose Penn over Chi?

Postby glewz » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:37 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:I also would like to point out that, if I were actually insecure about my "shit" UGPA, it certainly wouldn't have ever been in my profile. To be honest, though, I didn't even realize that was still up, but I do appreciate you deigning to respond to somebody with such a shit GPA.

On this note, I do apologize for calling your GPA sht. We say dumb things when we are mad.

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Anyone choose Penn over Chi?

Postby glewz » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:38 pm

Veyron wrote:
Yes, you sound insecure about your own school, which is why I was curious about whether you got shut out of CCN (that, and your ugrad gpa is sht...). You are clearly trying pretty hard to create an argument about CoA stats, and this is evident especially since you have so many comments on the matter in your post history.


Chicago material.


I will say that Veyron was right to point out my own bad form.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Anyone choose Penn over Chi?

Postby Veyron » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:39 pm

Emma. wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Yes, you sound insecure about your own school, which is why I was curious about whether you got shut out of CCN (that, and your ugrad gpa is sht...). You are clearly trying pretty hard to create an argument about CoA stats, and this is evident especially since you have so many comments on the matter in your post history.


Chicago material.


Poor form, Veyron, poor form.


Though I would like to think of my posting career as one long upward bound toward exemplary and biting wit, I too am human.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Anyone choose Penn over Chi?

Postby Emma. » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:45 pm

Veyron wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Yes, you sound insecure about your own school, which is why I was curious about whether you got shut out of CCN (that, and your ugrad gpa is sht...). You are clearly trying pretty hard to create an argument about CoA stats, and this is evident especially since you have so many comments on the matter in your post history.


Chicago material.


Poor form, Veyron, poor form.


Though I would like to think of my posting career as one long upward bound toward exemplary and biting wit, I too am human.


:mrgreen:




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kalvano and 5 guests