Anyone choose Penn over Chi? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
deathviaboredom

Bronze

Anyone choose Penn over Chi?

Post by deathviaboredom » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:51 pm

Trying this from another angle. Anyone actually make this counter-TLS decision? What are your thoughts?

bk1

Diamond

Re: Anyone choose Penn over Chi?

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:59 pm

Scholarship money? Wanting to be in PA for some reason?

I'm sure plenty of people make this decision and tons of others that run counter to TLS conventional wisdom.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:21 pm

deathviaboredom wrote:Trying this from another angle. Anyone actually make this counter-TLS decision? What are your thoughts?
If you really want to go to Penn over Chicago then do it. Rankings aren't the end-all.

trc332

New

Post by trc332 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:27 pm

I chose Penn over Chi. For me it came down to money and proximity to friends/family in NYC.

deathviaboredom

Bronze

Post by deathviaboredom » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:32 pm

if it were money, id feel a lot more comfortable in this option.

argh.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:34 pm

deathviaboredom wrote:if it were money, id feel a lot more comfortable in this option.

argh.
If you want NYC biglaw I don't think the differences are drastic enough to say that you would be that badly off to take Penn over Chi if you really preferred Penn. Plus, there is a lot to be said for picking a marginally worse school that you drastically prefer.

trc332

New

Post by trc332 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:36 pm

After visiting both, I really preferred Penn. Something about having to take a cab into the city everytime you want to go out was off-putting to me.

deathviaboredom

Bronze

Post by deathviaboredom » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:43 pm

bk187 wrote:
deathviaboredom wrote:if it were money, id feel a lot more comfortable in this option.

argh.
If you want NYC biglaw I don't think the differences are drastic enough to say that you would be that badly off to take Penn over Chi if you really preferred Penn. Plus, there is a lot to be said for picking a marginally worse school that you drastically prefer.
it's not a drastic preference. it's social life v. academics.

also, im not super itnerested in nyc biglaw

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:51 pm

Chose Penn over CCN with $ (not chi).

Liked it better. For the most part career prospects are the same. Simple really.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:52 pm

deathviaboredom wrote:it's not a drastic preference. it's social life v. academics.

What do you want to do? What is it that you like about Penn?

deathviaboredom

Bronze

Post by deathviaboredom » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:03 pm

bk187 wrote:
deathviaboredom wrote:it's not a drastic preference. it's social life v. academics.

It's what I don't like about Chi - the cold+location+rep.of.students+not.near.ny and the fact that i know some people in philly makes it more attractive.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:04 pm

deathviaboredom wrote:
bk187 wrote:

It's what I don't like about Chi - the cold+location+rep.of.students+not.near.ny and the fact that i know some people in philly makes it more attractive.
So go to Penn.

deathviaboredom

Bronze

Post by deathviaboredom » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:11 pm

but i love law.and.econ+north.side.of.the.city+smallness+rep+cow.

ok, so the cow's not REALLY a consideration.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:29 pm

bk187 wrote:

Secondary market biglaw (midlaw?) or NYC biglaw.

The people first of all. I think Penn very much selects for more than numbers, my classmates are more accomplished in real-world ways than at most other schools I've visited. I've seen the Chicago threads where people were griping about people asking them for outlines. That would simply never happen here. We have a very B-school mentality, classmates are our future network so its important to be social and collabrative (althought the social part is hard as a 1L) and not take offense easily. Also the alumni network, loyal and prominent even in secondary markets. The very personal feel of the school.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:52 pm

Veyron wrote:
bk187 wrote:

Secondary market biglaw (midlaw?) or NYC biglaw.

The people first of all. I think Penn very much selects for more than numbers, my classmates are more accomplished in real-world ways than at most other schools I've visited. I've seen the Chicago threads where people were griping about people asking them for outlines. That would simply never happen here. We have a very B-school mentality, classmates are our future network so its important to be social and collabrative (althought the social part is hard as a 1L) and not take offense easily. Also the alumni network, loyal and prominent even in secondary markets. The very personal feel of the school.
Go to Penn. I didn't even check out Chicago for some of the reasons that OP mentioned, but I do know that Penn had some really great people at the ASW. Going to #7 over #5 because you feel more comfortable there is far from crazy!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:56 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:Go to Penn. I didn't even check out Chicago for some of the reasons that OP mentioned, but I do know that Penn had some really great people at the ASW. Going to #7 over #5 because you feel more comfortable there is far from crazy!
While I agree with the premise that Penn and Chi aren't that different, we both know there are times where going to a school 2 spots higher makes an enormous difference (e.g. WUSTL and Vandy).

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:58 pm

bk187 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:Go to Penn. I didn't even check out Chicago for some of the reasons that OP mentioned, but I do know that Penn had some really great people at the ASW. Going to #7 over #5 because you feel more comfortable there is far from crazy!
While I agree with the premise that Penn and Chi aren't that different, we both know there are times where going to a school 2 spots higher makes an enormous difference (e.g. WUSTL and Vandy).
Yes, but the difference between Vandy, UCLA, Texas and the schools immediately below is huge (as ATL recently noted). That jump basically doubles your chances at biglaw. Penn and Chi isn't really the same comparison.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:00 pm

Veyron wrote:Yes, but the difference between Vandy, UCLA, Texas and the schools immediately below is huge (as ATL recently noted). That jump basically doubles your chances at biglaw. Penn and Chi isn't really the same comparison.
My point exactly. Bringing up USNWR rankings is generally not useful.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:54 pm

bk187 wrote:
Veyron wrote:Yes, but the difference between Vandy, UCLA, Texas and the schools immediately below is huge (as ATL recently noted). That jump basically doubles your chances at biglaw. Penn and Chi isn't really the same comparison.
My point exactly. Bringing up USNWR rankings is generally not useful.
Meh, it can have a meaningful correlation to job prospects T1 and TTT feed into same market, etc. But people try to make minute differentiations based on rank and it just doesn't work. To be sure there are schools ranked closely to one another that have meaningful differences in prospects for XYZ but that is often for reasons that have little to do with the things that make up a ranking.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:56 pm

Veyron wrote:Meh, it can have a meaningful correlation to job prospects T1 and TTT feed into same market, etc. But people try to make minute differentiations based on rank and it just doesn't work. To be sure there are schools ranked closely to one another that have meaningful differences in prospects for XYZ but that is often for reasons that have little to do with the things that make up a ranking.
Agreed.

barry

Bronze

Post by barry » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:04 pm

I would say enjoying your LS, your surroundings, and friends can make a huge difference in your experience and improve you happiness and at some level probably your performance as well

if you want to go to Penn go, U chi ≠ yale

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:19 pm

Tag. Making this exact same decision tomorrow.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:30 pm

bk187 wrote:
Agreed. Fortunately for the OP, this is not one of those times.

deathviaboredom

Bronze

Post by deathviaboredom » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:32 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Agreed. Fortunately for the OP, this is not one of those times.
<3 posner <3
<3 law and econ <3
</3 depression </3
</3 lack of social life </3
who says I'll make friends at penn?

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:49 pm

deathviaboredom wrote:
<3 posner <3
<3 law and econ <3
</3 depression </3
</3 lack of social life </3
who says I'll make friends at penn?
lol I really don't think you'll be depressed at Chi...have you seen how cool we are in the 2014 thread? I mean, c'mon. If nothing else, all our adorable pets will cheer you up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”