BU$ v. WUSTL$$ v. Hastings (and 9 WL)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where to Go?

BU (15k/yr)
60%
WUSTL (28k/yr)
34%
Hastings (10k/yr-out of state)
6%

Total votes: 35

TheMania22

BU$ v. WUSTL$$ v. Hastings (and 9 WL)

Postby TheMania22 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:50 pm

What to do? I'm living in California right now and originally from the East Coast. Would love to work in LA but that's secondary to getting the best education possible and a good job. NY, LA, SF, DC, Chicago. Want big law for a few years, and know the NLJ stats for all of the above and that my best shot is BU, but 28k a year to a top 20 school is tempting. Besides these I'm also waiting on Cornell and got in at UWashington (because I like seattle) but I can't see myself going there. Also my waitlist list reads like this:

Northwestern (Hold)
GULC (Special Preferred)
Penn
Michigan
UVA
Duke (Not Priority)
Vanderbilt
UCLA
USC

I assume these would all be at sticker...

MyManKanye

Re: BU$ v. WUSTL$$ v. Hastings (and 9 WL)

Postby MyManKanye » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:10 pm

Well if you go to BU, you should know that the vast majority of their biglaw will be in Boston. If that's ok than that would probably be your best shot.

WUSTL gives you a shot at Chicago biglaw if you do well. Besides that neither gives you much chance anywhere else at biglaw.

If retaking isn't an option for you than I'd choose based on the area and how badly you want biglaw. Why do you want it for a few years? Just to pay off debt? If you don't want to do it longterm than maybe just taking less debt is a better option?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:17 pm

BU blows WUSTL/UCH out of the water in terms of biglaw placement. Don't let the fact that WUSTL is top 20 fool you at all.

Go to BU.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:27 pm

if you are open to boston, BU is the best, imo.

hastings oos is way too expensive, especially if you're not set on CA.

TheMania22

Postby TheMania22 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:39 pm

Haha yeah realize I didn't listen Boston on my list of cities. Pretty big oversight. I would definitely work in Boston as well. I work as an assistant in a big California firm and just in my office alone there are two BU Law grads. I know things have changed but I think that's encouraging in the long run.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:50 pm

Take the money and enjoy STL. Say hi to Nelly and Albert Pujols for me.

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:48 pm

I'm assuming you have pretty decent numbers and/or are a splitter who applied late in the cycle? Its strange to get money at the highest ranked school you were accepted to, so I think you'd have a decent chance at getting off a waitlist. unless you applied REALLY late. was that the case?

TheMania22

Postby TheMania22 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:19 pm

3.47/170. Two years out, good work experience in the legal field. Pretty much the quintessential waitlist candidate at the bottom T14. I applied early to mid-december for all of them except for Georgetown which was a last minute decision and I applied in January.

TheMania22

Postby TheMania22 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:13 pm

Any other thoughts? tips? musings?

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:17 pm

I think you'll probably get off one of those t-14 waitlists. The odds are just so high that at least one of those will take you with your #'s. Go wherever that is.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:23 pm

wait a year. Then reapply. You will get multiple T14s maybe vandy/usc/ucla/texas with some scholarship money.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:30 pm

BU for NY/Boston
WUSTL for Chicago
UCH for CA
Tossup between WUSTL or BU for DC (neither good).

If you want just any bigfirm you can take BU.

adt231

Postby adt231 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:38 pm

If you can, maybe take one more year off and apply as early as possible. I doubt you won't crack the T14. Especially if you can learn about the particulars of each school in order to write awesome Why essays (and not just particulars you can learn on the web in an hour).

But, hey I'm a 0L, so what do I know.

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:29 pm

sanetruth wrote:I'm assuming you have pretty decent numbers and/or are a splitter who applied late in the cycle? Its strange to get money at the highest ranked school you were accepted to, so I think you'd have a decent chance at getting off a waitlist. unless you applied REALLY late. was that the case?

does applying in december fall as "late in the cycle"?

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:31 pm

nshapkar wrote:
sanetruth wrote:I'm assuming you have pretty decent numbers and/or are a splitter who applied late in the cycle? Its strange to get money at the highest ranked school you were accepted to, so I think you'd have a decent chance at getting off a waitlist. unless you applied REALLY late. was that the case?

does applying in december fall as "late in the cycle"?

not generally, but i think for a splitter the difference between applying in sept/october vs. december is huge. and EDing, of course.

TheMania22

Postby TheMania22 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:13 pm

Yeah I think it's a really big deal. I have a friend who applied in early January with good numbers and got crushed (though I realize a month is a big difference). I've thought about reapplying but the process is really draining and I'm excited for school. Don't think I should put school off or even worse wait a year, reapply and have similar/worse results.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:31 am

I'm actually in a very similar situation as you with slightly worse numbers (3.4/169) and a bit worse offers but still $45k difference between BU and WUSTL. Same city prefs, as I'm sure a lot of people have those haha. So I can totally relate to what you're going through.

It seems people are really encouraging reapplying. Does it really make that big of a difference for a splitter to apply early or ED? Is the edge that significant?

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:41 am

TheMania22 wrote:What to do? I'm living in California right now and originally from the East Coast. Would love to work in LA but that's secondary to getting the best education possible and a good job. NY, LA, SF, DC, Chicago. Want big law for a few years, and know the NLJ stats for all of the above and that my best shot is BU, but 28k a year to a top 20 school is tempting. Besides these I'm also waiting on Cornell and got in at UWashington (because I like seattle) but I can't see myself going there. Also my waitlist list reads like this:

Northwestern (Hold)
GULC (Special Preferred)
Penn
Michigan
UVA
Duke (Not Priority)
Vanderbilt
UCLA
USC

I assume these would all be at sticker...

Wow. Schools are waitlisting like crazy this cycle. I think schools are strategically using the waitlist more than they used to for some reason. Hopefully you will get at least one waitlist break (with so many waitlists I suspect it is likely you'll get a break if you send strong letters of continuing interest to all your waitlist schools). Of your choices now I think I'd take WUSTL, but I would def be pushing to get off your waitlists. The fact you made it onto so many T14 waitlists means you are a competitive applicant; I would really try hard not to settle for less than T14 if I were you.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:22 am

NY - Fordham
LA - UCLA/USC
SF - Hastings
DC - GW
Chicago - WUSTL/ND
Boston - BC/BU

Reapply and figure out where you want to work.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”