Chicaco v. Virginia

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where to go?

Chicago (COA best guess of 120K)
79%
Virginia (COA best guess of 80K)
21%

Total votes: 28

GotYourselfAStewGoin

Chicaco v. Virginia

Postby GotYourselfAStewGoin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:30 pm

Hey TLS, my time for choosing has finally come. My main contenders are the University of Chicago and the University of Virginia. As best as I can forecast, Chicago will be about 40K-50K more expensive. (Both estimates without summer earnings, to err on the side of caution).

Factors:
-My best 0L estimate of career goals is that I would like to clerk and spend at least a few years in (preferably non-New York) Big Law. My only real ties are in the South, and I would be happy working pretty much anywhere.
-Visited both schools, and I would feel more comfortable in Charlottesville than Hyde Park.
-I prefer the smaller class size of Chicago and "intellectual" character of the school.
-Interested in the "Law & Business" courses at Virginia and the "Corporate Lab" at Chicago, so any input on those programs would be appreciated.

Aberzombie1892

Re: Chicaco v. Virginia

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:33 pm

From the information you have given, it appears as though Virginia would be a better fit.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:39 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:From the information you have given, it appears as though Virginia would be a better fit.

Where is this coming from?!?

GotYourselfAStewGoin wrote:
-My best 0L estimate of career goals is that I would like to clerk and spend at least a few years in (preferably non-New York) Big Law.
-I prefer the smaller class size of Chicago and "intellectual" character of the school.

I would say that exact opposite. All the important factors point strongly to chicago. first visit feel, i think is a poor indicator of how well you will actually like it. clerkships, non-nyc biglaw (esp with connections to another part of the country), these easily point to Chicago. Much better choice I would say. Perhaps you were being sarcastic

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:44 pm

Hyde Park can be depressing. Chicago is the better school, better opportunities, no argument. For business interest, Chicago also has Booth and law/econ. I love Chicago the school, it may be the best place to get an actual education in the country.

Something that may help is to ask yourself: 10 years from now when I have found success and am happy with my life, would I be more satisfied with myself that I went to Chicago or Virginia?

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:48 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:From the information you have given, it appears as though Virginia would be a better fit.

Where are you getting this? I think most of what the OP says links him to Chicago (smaller class size preference, would like to clerk, Biglaw)

Chicago is more expensive, but not prohibitively so. It will open more doors, especially due to it's smaller class size.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:50 pm

Despite your ties to the South, and your comfort level there... I still say Chicago. I don't think the cost difference is so great that it should cause you to turn it down... Plus, as one of the posters above me said, you don't want to go through life wondering "what if?"

GotYourselfAStewGoin

Postby GotYourselfAStewGoin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:00 pm

Wow, the response seems more unified than I imagined it would be. Thanks for all of the input.

théo

Postby théo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:55 pm

TaipeiMort wrote: I love Chicago the school, it may be the best place to get an actual education in the country.

+100

Return to “Choosing a Law School”