Maryland or Santa Clara

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lsatextreme

Maryland or Santa Clara

Postby lsatextreme » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:36 am

let's just say I'd be paying roughly the same amount at both schools. Grew up in the Bay Area all my life, even went to undergrad here, would prefer to live/work in CA. Though common wisdom seems to be that specialties don't matter, FWIW, I want to do environmental law and Maryland has a nationally ranked program whereas Santa Clara might have a couple courses towards it. Santa Clara gets pretty destroyed here on TLS (e.g. go look at the thread and see their brutal employment statistics) so I'm interested to hear what people have to say.

voice of reason

Re: Maryland or Santa Clara

Postby voice of reason » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:03 am

These are both regional schools, which means one should not attend if one doesn't want to practice in the school's region. If you want to practice in California, do not go to law school at the University of Maryland.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:07 am

Maryland will place you in Maryland, Santa Clara will place you in California. That being said, due to the state of the NorCal legal economy, over 50% of SCU grads end up working part time (they can't even find full time positions as attorneys in small firms). SCU is a bad idea.

I would suggest giving up on working in the Bay Area and learning to be content in Maryland.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:17 am

bk1 wrote:Maryland will place you in Maryland, Santa Clara will place you in California. That being said, due to the state of the NorCal legal economy, over 50% of SCU grads end up working part time (they can't even find full time positions as attorneys in small firms). SCU is a bad idea.

I would suggest giving up on working in the Bay Area and learning to be content in Maryland.

yea i was expecting an answer along the lines of this...sigh this may be the best choice among the limited options that I have

trapezoid135

Postby trapezoid135 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:45 am

I have never post on here, but when I saw this post I had to say something. I'm from the SF Bay Area and currently go to Maryland. I also considered going to Santa Clara and have toured the school. I'm also in the environmental law program.

I'm biased, but I would go to Maryland over Santa Clara. If you want to do environmental law, its an obvious choice, but even if its not, go to Maryland. Yes, both schools are regional. The quality of life is also way better in California (although Santa Clara and San Jose are not that great). It's going to be hard going straight from Maryland to working in California. But you need to consider the opportunities available at both schools. In the Maryland environmental law program, you have professors who work at the EPA and other government agencies. It's awesome. At Maryland, students regularly intern in Washington during the school year for government agencies and public interest groups. If you want to work at the state level on environmental issues, Maryland also completely dominates. I am pretty sure you would not have these opportunities at Santa Clara, even at the state level (Sacramento is too far away). The one benefit I can see at Santa Clara is the Silicon Valley is really big on renewable energy stuff. I don't know what kind of environmental issues your interested in, but its something to consider.

Also, Maryland's law school was redone in 2003. The facilities are super nice. Santa Clara is a small private school without a lot of money. I've always thought they purposely designed the campus to look like Standford to attract undergrads who couldn't get in. Overall, their facilities are actually really nice, but the campus is just the size of a suburban strip mall. Their law school facilities, however, are old and run down. They also share lecture halls and and other class rooms with the undergrad students. I was not impressed by this. I can't speak much about their academic programs. I've heard they are alright for Silicon Valley (which is an awesome area), but beyond that I can't really offer much information.

One other thing to consider is price. I don't know if your from California, but going to Maryland and paying out state tuition is cheaper for me than paying in-state tuition at a UC law school.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Last edited by trapezoid135 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:51 am

Maryland is an excellent law school. Congratulations on being admitted.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:38 pm

trapezoid135 wrote:I have never post on here, but when I saw this post I had to say something. I'm from the SF Bay Area and currently go to Maryland. I also considered going to Santa Clara and have toured the school. I'm also in the environmental law program.

I'm biased, but I would go to Maryland over Santa Clara. If you want to do environmental law, its an obvious choice, but even if its not, go to Maryland. Yes, both schools are regional. The quality of life is also way better in California (although Santa Clara and San Jose are not that great). It's going to be hard going straight from Maryland to working in California. But you need to consider the opportunities available at both schools. In the Maryland environmental law program, you have professors who work at the EPA and other government agencies. It's awesome. At Maryland, students regularly intern in Washington during the school year for government agencies and public interest groups. If you want to work at the state level on environmental issues, Maryland also completely dominates. I am pretty sure you would not have these opportunities at Santa Clara, even at the state level (Sacramento is too far away). The one benefit I can see at Santa Clara is the Silicon Valley is really big on renewable energy stuff. I don't know what kind of environmental issues your interested in, but its something to consider.

Also, Maryland's law school was redone in 2003. The facilities are super nice. Santa Clara is a small private school without a lot of money. I've always thought they purposely designed the campus to look like Standford to attract undergrads who couldn't get in. Overall, their facilities are actually really nice, but the campus is just the size of a suburban strip mall. Their law school facilities, however, are old and run down. They also share lecture halls and and other class rooms with the undergrad students. I was not impressed by this. I can't speak much about their academic programs. I've heard they are alright for Silicon Valley (which is an awesome area), but beyond that I can't really offer much information.

One other thing to consider is price. I don't know if your from California, but going to Maryland and paying out state tuition is cheaper for me than paying in-state tuition at a UC law school.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

thank you, sent ya a pm!

CanadianWolf wrote:Maryland is an excellent law school. Congratulations on being admitted.

thank you!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”