UCLA/UT/Duke (with schollys) - Please, I need help...alot... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where to go--please read the reasoning below or dont vote :)

Duke (87k CoA)
36%
UCLA (88k CoA)
18%
UT (50k CoA)
45%

Total votes: 22

0LFTW

New

UCLA/UT/Duke (with schollys) - Please, I need help...alot...

Post by 0LFTW » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:16 am

I have read this forum a lot. No better time than now to post as I have finally narrowed my decision down to three, and deposits are almost due! I am coming straight from undergrad-so no real work experience. I would prefer a relatively more fun school, a less competitive atmosphere, and a school where people hang out with eachother after classes.

My first choice market is LA, second would be Houston, and a distant third would be DC. I dont really want to work anywhere else (But I would take a biglaw job in almost any other market before taking a significantly worse job - with the exception of Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana). Anyways:

UT - $50,000 CoA
Duke - $87,000 CoA
UCLA - $88,000 CoA

I am from the great state of Texas and went to a college not near any of my preferred markets.

There are a few specific programs I like at these schools.

UT - I would likely do energy here. They have a great energy program, and I have always had an interest in this. Also, the supreme court clinic is cool.
Duke - I really like the small class size--and for some strage reason I am really attracted to the fact that the sections all play softball together. However, none of the programs really interest me.
UCLA - I really like the entertainment program (slightly more so than the energy at UT), however I don't no if this is a feasible industry to crack without work experience...and I mean entertainment law, not Ari Gold law. Damn Michigan trolls.

Please respond with your reasoning. I have no idea what to do and feel overwhelmed. I hope I didnt leave anything out. Thanks in advance!

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Re: UCLA/UT/Duke (with schollys) - Please, I need help...alot...

Post by BeachandRun23 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:08 am

No bad choice here, but I would choose UT. Very cheap, places really well in houston and should give you a solid chance at LA. PLus you seem interested in the energy program.

0LFTW

New

Re: UCLA/UT/Duke (with schollys) - Please, I need help...alot...

Post by 0LFTW » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:16 am

I was under the impression that I would need "ties" to CA to go there. How could UT get me back?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”