Help! Rank vs. $$$/location

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school would you attend if you were in my shoes?

Harvard ($240,000 debt over 10 years)
47%
Defer at Harvard
27%
UCLA ($15,000 debt at graduation)
25%
USD ($16,000 debt at graduation)
No votes

Total votes: 102

YourCaptain

Re: Help! Rank vs. $$$/location

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:31 am

#1 Chances your fiance's PhD is an employable degree?

#2 The difference in placement between UCLA and Harvard is incredible and should be taken into account.

I would defer the year and go to Harvard.

luckdragon

Postby luckdragon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:22 pm

It totally depends on what your fiancées field is. If it is something like literature or ethnomusicology, then she will not have a job, so you won't have to worry about where she will end up, thus leaving you free to choose Harvard.

Edit] Reverse the genders.

sad_squirrel

Postby sad_squirrel » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:21 am

Updates:
* UCLA is now offering full tuition. Living mostly off my savings, I estimate that I would graduate with about $15,000 of debt, which could easily be paid off in 1 year. If I found a SA my 2L summer, I could essentially graduate debt-free.
* USD got back to me, and is unwilling to provide more money.
* I turned down the Levy at Penn (had to get back to them today).
* E-mailed Berkeley about money, but I sort of doubt that they will offer me anything at this point.

In answer to questions asked in other comments:
* My fiancé's Ph.D. is in Cognitive Science. This isn't terribly marketable outside academia, and he'd rather stay in academia instead of go into industry (marketing, government, etc.). Also, his job prospects are better abroad, so we will likely end up leaving the US.

Thanks, guys. Any additional thoughts given these developments would be greatly appreciated!

I have to admit . . . the lack of debt and proximity to San Diego may have me leaning towards UCLA at the moment.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:30 am

sad_squirrel wrote:Also, his job prospects are better abroad, so we will likely end up leaving the US.

If you plan on leaving the US, Harvard's worldwide prestige, and the opportunities it opens, should be taken into account. That said, a full-tuition scholarship at a solid school is hard to pass up.

WhirledWorld

Postby WhirledWorld » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:38 am

Congrats on the full ride to UCLA! I say take the money. Going to Harvard would put too much strain on your engagement, and the debt is another thing. You would be giving up extraordinary opportunities, but UCLA is a great school and I think you'd really be happier there near SD with your fiance.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:56 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”