Wake, Lewis and Clark, Ride out Waitlists, or Retake/Reapply

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which is the best option?

Lewis and Clark with $12,000 per year
13%
St. Thomas with full ride
No votes
Wake Forest with $15,000 per year
58%
Ride out the wait-lists
No votes
Wait a year and retake/reapply next year
29%

Total votes: 24

Prometheus214

Wake, Lewis and Clark, Ride out Waitlists, or Retake/Reapply

Postby Prometheus214 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:49 pm

These threads seem to be popular so I thought that I would start one of my own to help figure out my life. To give you some background I'm from the Pacific Northwest and I would like to eventually come back here and practice after law school, but I am totally fine with going to another part of the country and living for awhile as well. I'm not sure what kind of law that I want to get into either. My stats are 3.93 GPA/161 LSAT with decent softs (leadership experience, volunteered at public interest law firm, etc.) I applied early but my applications weren't processed until rather late (January) for a lot of schools because I took the October LSAT and then retook in December and scored a few points higher. I am not opposed to taking on a little debt, but I want to keep loans as low as possible. However, I've heard that sometimes applying earlier with the same #'s could net more scholarship money, so that's something to consider for reapplying next year. So here are my options:

Lewis and Clark with $12,000 per year scholarship (top 33% stipulation). I visited and I liked it a lot, and I could see myself living in Portland.

St. Thomas (Minnesota) with a full ride (2.0 GPA stipulation). Visiting soon, but I think that I would like the atmosphere/focus of the school. I don't think that I would really want to practice in Minnesota for an extended period of time though.

Wake Forest with $15,000 per year scholarship (top 66% stipulation). I haven't visited, but from what I have heard and read, it seems like it would be a really good fit for me.
Coming back to practice in the Northwest might be tricky though.

Ride out Waitlists: Make a seat deposit at one or two of the above options (I already had to put down a deposit at Wake Forest) and then wait and try to get off of the waitlists at William and Mary, Emory, University of Washington (top choice before being wait-listed), University of Pennsylvania, University of Illinois, and Washington and Lee.

Wait a year and retake/reapply next year: I wouldn't mind terribly taking a year off, but I don't have a job lined up and I'm not sure how much retaking would help. Before the December LSAT I was testing between 161-164 on my practice tests (logic games killed me, even after working through the bible) and I scored a 161 so I'm not sure how much I could raise it by.

What expert advice does TLS have for me? Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and advice!

Prometheus214

Re: Wake, Lewis and Clark, Ride out Waitlists, or Retake/Reapply

Postby Prometheus214 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:12 pm

Anyone have any thoughts? I would greatly appreciate any advice or insights that you might have.

fragged

Postby fragged » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:13 am

Honestly I would not waste that GPA on those schools - I would give my left nut for your GPA. Retake, and even with an improvement of 4-5 points you'll open up a whole new world of opportunities. You could easily raise your score to the mid-160's or beyond if you're already scoring that on your PT's.

Prometheus214

Postby Prometheus214 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:31 pm

Thanks fragged. I studied a ton for the LSAT (took about 30 preptests) and just never quite became proficient at the logic games. I think that I could do a little bit better on the LSAT (my goal was a 163) but I'm not sure if it is worth another year to do so. If I were to reapply with the same numbers as early as possible next year, would I be in the running for better scholarships?

fragged

Postby fragged » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:11 pm

If you could raise your score to the mid-160's you wouldn't even need to consider schools like L&C or Wake. Considering you want to live in the Pacific NW, raise your LSAT and you could easily get in to U. of Washington which is the undisputed king of the Pacific NW. And, with that GPA, you would probably get a scholarship as well.

Games are the easiest section to improve on. It took me months, but eventually it just clicked for me and my score jumped significantly. If the study materials you are using for games aren't working, try a different approach. I started out using Powerscore's approach, and once I switched to the method used in Nova's "Master the LSAT" I started kicking ass. It's all about what works for you.

Just please don't settle for these schools - you can do SO much better.

Prometheus214

Postby Prometheus214 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:30 am

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it! Right now I'm leaning towards maybe taking a year off and retaking the LSAT, barring any surprise scholarship increases or getting off of the waitlist at UW. Does anyone else have any thoughts or advice as to what I should do?

wester0

Postby wester0 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:10 am

Last edited by wester0 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brandonfoy

Postby brandonfoy » Mon May 02, 2011 3:09 am

Looks like my advice may come a little late. If you're ok enough with taking a year off and retaking to have it as an option then that is your only real option. Taking 30 preptests won't do much to improve if you don't know how to fix your problem areas.
I used the Blueprint Movie 2.0 (about $820 with books and online videos) for about 20 days and improved my score by three points. If I had known about it and ordered it months instead of weeks before the lsat I have no doubt my score would have bumped up double digits (I went from 152 to 155 - not that impressive, but my family situation did allow for me to wait till the next lsat administration).
Logic games was my strongest section and there are tons of tricks clearly illustrated on Blueprint's product that will put you on the right track. Go on YouTube and search "blueprint lsat" or go to blueprintprep.com to check it out.
Time is your friend at this point. You have everything you need for next years apps but an improved lsat score. Order Blueprint's Move 2.0 or another testprep companies program and get to work. Start studying now and shoot for this October and you will DESTROY the lsat.
I'm headed to L&C this fall, so I hope to NOT see you there, but get a message from you next fall when you get into harvard or yale. Best of luck to you!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”