Location/School Environment- NYU, UM, UVa

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
neyaae

Location/School Environment- NYU, UM, UVa

Postby neyaae » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:45 pm

This is probably a stupid reason to consider when choosing a law school. I visited NYU and am thinking it is my top choice, but I'm not sure that I like that it's right in the middle of the city. I've visted UM and like having the quad and grassy areas. I haven't visited UVA but imagine it's similar. But then, I'm not sure I want to be in tiny cities which is the trade-off. And I was very annoyed by all the drunk frat guys yelling. Any students at either care to comment? How do NYU students feel about not being in an enclosed campus? Are there places to escape the city that's easily accessible?

Patriot1208

Re: Location/School Environment- NYU, UM, UVa

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:50 pm

So, you want a traditional undergrad feel without the undergrads?

neyaae

Postby neyaae » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:59 pm

haha maybe. I don't know what I want. I went to a small lib arts school and found it very suffocating. I kind of want to experience a large university. But probably less suffocating of all would be a big city. But I really like having green around me.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:09 pm

Central park is pretty awesome.

neyaae

Postby neyaae » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:15 pm

but isn't it a fairly long subway ride from NYU?

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:07 pm

neyaae wrote:but isn't it a fairly long subway ride from NYU?

I don't think it is a long subway ride, but isn't washington square is right next to NYU too?

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:49 pm

tea_drinker wrote:
neyaae wrote:but isn't it a fairly long subway ride from NYU?

I don't think it is a long subway ride, but isn't washington square is right next to NYU too?

yeah wash sq park will be much nicer when the construction is done!

last.chance

Postby last.chance » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:57 pm

Life long nyc'er here. The law school is less than a block from Washington Square, but that's really not a park in the sense of a Central Park or school quad. While ppl do walk on the grass there you're only really allowed to walk on the paths and sit on the benches. It's about a 15 min (7 stops) or slightly less train ride from W. 4th st to the W. 72nd st park entrance not factoring in walking to and from the stations. As a local I can say many locals myself included would call that a short train ride.

If you're choosing ny, keep in mind green spaces are at a minimum in Manhattan, if you live in an outer borough you may be able to find most of the things you are looking for. For example Ditmas Park, Brooklyn has more green space and single family housing than you would expect in any big city as well as an emerging hipster scene. So you get the small town feel with all the big city whistles at abt a 30 min subway commute to school.

I can tell you that you won't get the big university experience here tho. I have a couple friends that are SOL grads and it seems like half of my high school graduating class went to ug there, so I know quite a few that will concur.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”