How much is too much of a commute?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

20 minute/3 hour commute?

St. John's 20 mins
53%
Cardozo 3 hours
47%

Total votes: 47

Yardieatty

Re: How much is too much of a commute?

Postby Yardieatty » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:12 pm

Some Person wrote:Maybe you should do a test commute tomorrow. That LIRR thing sounds good. Even if it costs a little bit of money, you can probably take out a loan to help with living expenses and whatnot. Take out a little bit more if it'll help you get to campus in 20 minutes without destroying your financial situation. Again, I'm not from NYC and don't really know about this stuff, but I'd try to find a way to make Cardozo work.

Thank you. I have looked into all options, including LIRR. Actual travel time on the LIRR is 40 minutes. Then I have to transfer to the subway for about 10 minutes and then there is approximately another 10 minutes walk time. When you add in the time to get to the train station and the wait for the train, that's at least another 15 minutes. So no matter how I slice it, it is about an hour and a half.

The LIRR is definitely quieter and nicer than the subway but I have never been one to be focus in those types of environments.

I do realize the disparity in the rankings, which is why I am even considering this crazy commute. I have however spoken to a number of people in the profession (not St. John's alumni) and their opinion is to go with the lesser of the commute. They also speak of the strength of of St. John's alumni network and caution not to put too much weight on rankings. Even so, I still worry so I turned to TLS :)

Yardieatty

Re: How much is too much of a commute?

Postby Yardieatty » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Thank you all for your feedback. I have decided to withraw from Cardozo. Good luck to you all! I hope to one day be able to add to the content and communication of this site as it really has been an incredible resource for me.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”