How much is too much of a commute?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

20 minute/3 hour commute?

St. John's 20 mins
53%
Cardozo 3 hours
47%

Total votes: 47

Yardieatty

How much is too much of a commute?

Postby Yardieatty » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:46 pm

Hello everyone. I have been watching the boards for months. They helped me through the lsat, applications and now the wait for responses. I didn't have anything to add to the conversations so never communicated on here, however, I have a question that I am hoping I could get some feedback on.

How much of a factor do you think the time it takes to commute to school should play in making a decision?

I have been granted a full scholarship to both Cardozo and St. Johns. St. Johns is 10 mins away from where I currently live whereas Cardozo would be about 3 hours roundtrip. Moving closer to Cardozo isn't an option.

Thanks in advance!

Muenchen

Re: How much is too much of a commute?

Postby Muenchen » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:50 pm

Yardieatty wrote:Hello everyone. I have been watching the boards for months. They helped me through the lsat, applications and now the wait for responses. I didn't have anything to add to the conversations so never communicated on here, however, I have a question that I am hoping I could get some feedback on.

How much of a factor do you think the time it takes to commute to school should play in making a decision?

I have been granted a full scholarship to both Cardozo and St. Johns. St. Johns is 10 mins away from where I currently live whereas Cardozo would be about 3 hours roundtrip. Moving closer to Cardozo isn't an option.

Thanks in advance!

I mean, you can calculate some rough numbers as far as actual cost + time cost for going to Cardozo. The commute time to St. Johns is so negligible as to be basically ignored. But I mean, you can assign yourself an "hourly wage" for free time, add that to the actual cost of your transportation mode, and get a rough figure. My gut is that Cardozo is still worth it.

Still, you should consider how precious free time is in law school. You didn't say how you will be travelling but if it's a train or something at least you could maybe read and get some productivity out of it. These are just some initial thoughts.

Yardieatty

Postby Yardieatty » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:59 pm

Thank you for response. Traveling to Cardozo would be by subway (which I hate). I could feasibly get reading done however not sure if I would retain anything on noisy subway. A concern of mine is also how early I would have to get up to make it to class which apparently some start as early as 8:30. I am not a morning person and would be much more likely to make a class at 8:30 at St. John's. I don't want to come off as whiney as I feel blessed to have to make this decision, I guess I just want to make sure I am making a decision that fits who I am but also ensures that I accomplish my goal of being somewhat marketable upon graduation.

Also if it helps, I am leaning towards public interest, although I realize I may need to work in another field to pay my bills.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:00 pm

I currently commute a little over an hour each way to my job at the moment (15 minute drive, 45 minute public transit, 10 minute walk). It sucks and leaves me with less free time than I would like.

I think it depends on how much you value your free time and the realization that a much better school is going to force you to cut down on your outside activities (less boozing, less video games, less time with significant other, whatever the case may be). If you're taking public transit and can read/study on public transit then I think a 1.5 hour commute each way should be fine.

If you can't read/study then it depends on whether you are willing to sacrifice your spare time to go to Cardozo.

Yardieatty

Postby Yardieatty » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:05 pm

Thanks bk1. I wish I had time for all those fun things you described :D this is perhaps a good time to add that mainly the commute concerns me as I have a child. Being at St. Johns allows me to spend the time I would spend commuting with my kid.
Last edited by Yardieatty on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:09 pm

Yardieatty wrote:Thanks bk1. I wish I had tome for all those fun things you described :D this is perhaps a good time to add that mainly the commute concerns me as I have a child. Being at St. Johns allows me to spend the time I would spend commuting with my kid.

Ahhhhh see this is where we, the internet, can no longer help you. I don't have any kids, but I would imagine that missing out on being able to be with your kid for 3 years would be one of the larger opportunity costs you would encounter. It's much different than, "Oh man, if I get home late I'm going to miss the Daily Show" where we can just call you an idiot and tell you to watch it online later or just give it up. Consider how each school's rankings, programs, whatever line up with your career interests, but this is ultimately up to you. It's your life.

Edit: typos
Last edited by Muenchen on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:10 pm

Commuting sucks ass. Avoid it at all costs.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:11 pm

Yardieatty wrote:Thanks bk1. I wish I had tome for all those fun things you described :D this is perhaps a good time to add that mainly the commute concerns me as I have a child. Being at St. Johns allows me to spend the time I would spend commuting with my kid.

Then I think only you can make that decision. I don't think there is necessarily a wrong choice here (assuming you still have plenty of time even after the commute to spend with your kid).

I've been told that law school, outside of finals, is probably less work than a full time job so that is something to consider. I think another important point is that, you can easily go back and forth between home and St. John's if you have a long gap between classes (e.g. class from 10-12 and then from 3-5) whereas this isn't possible from Cardozo. This might be of interest to you if depending on when/if your kid is in school (not sure hold the kid is).

WhirledWorld

Postby WhirledWorld » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:20 pm

Last edited by WhirledWorld on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:21 pm

WhirledWorld wrote:Sinking 15 hours/wk will kill your grades in school

I don't think this is true at all. It may for some, but I don't think it is even close to an absolute.

Taffybear2

Postby Taffybear2 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:22 pm

I would also take into consideration any scholarship contingencies on the full rides for both schools, does St. Johns have a steeper one?

Yardieatty

Postby Yardieatty » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:24 pm

Thanks Muenchen!

You're right, it is something only I can decide. I hate being an adult and having to make adult decisions :D I have attempted to make this decision without factoring my kid in but in reality it all come back to her.

BK, she is in school so wouldn't be able to see her between classes but maintaining some regularity as far as my being able to pick her up and drop her off, may pop in at home for a bit to see her off to bed on long nights is important.

I think I know my answer but I am worried about it.

Thanks Law. I feel same way.

Forgive me for not quoting. I didn't want to bungle up my responses as I haven't used the feature before.

Thank you all so much. This site is the best!

Yardieatty

Postby Yardieatty » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:26 pm

Taffybear2 wrote:I would also take into consideration any scholarship contingencies on the full rides for both schools, does St. Johns have a steeper one?

Thanks for response. No contingencies on either.

Yardieatty

Postby Yardieatty » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:48 pm

WhirledWorld wrote:A 90-minute commute is certainly doable. Cardazo will definitely open up other opportunities, and the subways will probably be fairly clear in the morning, giving you time to read/study.

Still, that's at least 15 hours/wk of commute alone. Maybe try the commute a couple times and see if you can actually get work done. Sinking 15 hours/wk will kill your grades in school, but if you could make good use of them, they might actually force you to work a little more.

That's all provided you won't move. I know moving in the city is hell, but you might at least look into it. HTH.

Thanks for response. I feel it is doable but wonder how much of an impact it will have on my grades and family life. I have done the commute. The train is a zoo. Moving can't happen because it would be too much of a disruption for my family.

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:53 pm

Yardieatty wrote:
Taffybear2 wrote:I would also take into consideration any scholarship contingencies on the full rides for both schools, does St. Johns have a steeper one?

Thanks for response. No contingencies on either.

St. Johns didnt give u any stipulations?

last.chance

Postby last.chance » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:10 pm

Where exactly are you starting from yardie? I know the A and C are tough to take from queens but a hour and a half sounds a bit exaggerated.

Have you considered taking the LIRR and then taking the subway back to 14th? Much faster, quieter and comfortable but obviously an additional charge.

This really shouldn't be a discussion, a Cardozo education will pay so much more dividends IMO.

Yardieatty

Postby Yardieatty » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:17 pm

St. Johns didnt give u any stipulations?[/quote]

No

Yardieatty

Postby Yardieatty » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:23 pm

Deleted as I need to get the hang of quoting sections of comments
Last edited by Yardieatty on Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yardieatty

Postby Yardieatty » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:24 pm

last.chance wrote:Where exactly are you starting from yardie? I know the A and C are tough to take from queens but a hour and a half sounds a bit exaggerated.

Have you considered taking the LIRR and then taking the subway back to 14th? Much faster, quieter and comfortable but obviously an additional charge.

This really shouldn't be a discussion, a Cardozo education will pay so much more dividends IMO.

Floral Park. I am not particularly familiar with mass transit but I have used hopstop to see various options. Door to door it is about an hour and a half each way. I have also considered driving which on a good day would cut my commute to about 45 mins each way but on a bad day it could be much more than that.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:37 pm

last.chance wrote:Have you considered taking the LIRR and then taking the subway back to 14th? Much faster, quieter and comfortable but obviously an additional charge.

This actual trip would take about 20-30 minutes during rush hour - it's something you should consider if you can get yourself to an LIRR station reasonably quickly.

last.chance

Postby last.chance » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:37 pm

Yardieatty wrote:
last.chance wrote:Where exactly are you starting from yardie? I know the A and C are tough to take from queens but a hour and a half sounds a bit exaggerated.

Floral Park. I am not particularly familiar with mass transit but I have used hopstop to see various options. Door to door it is about an hour and a half each way. I have also considered driving which on a good day would cut my commute to about 45 mins each way but on a bad day it could be much more than that.

Driving to Manhattan is a surefire way to make yourself late to class.

If you have the money for parking in the city then you definitely have the money for the LIRR. Floral park is a two stop ride from 34th, you only stop at Jamaica Ave and then off to 34th.

Yardieatty

Postby Yardieatty » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:23 am

last.chance wrote:
Yardieatty wrote:

Driving to Manhattan is a surefire way to make yourself late to class.

If you have the money for parking in the city then you definitely have the money for the LIRR. Floral park is a two stop ride from 34th, you only stop at Jamaica Ave and then off to 34th.

Is it? I will have to check again. I haven't done commute the physical commute on LIRR, was just going by commute time listed online. BTW, definitely don't have parking money for the city...was just trying to figure out best way possible. Thank you for helping!

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:58 am

I've done an hour and a half roundtrip commute for a couple of years for work. My comments have nothing to do with the schools you're dealing with, only the commutes themselves...

20 - 30 minutes is very doable, even nice. You get some time to clear your head between being there and being home, you get to move around, listen to tunes, relax before you wind up one place or the other.

3 Hours would mess your whole life up. With NYC traffic, there is no guarantee you would have a consistent commute length, and with your academic schedule, there is no guarantee the light commute days would line up when you needed them.

Avoid that long of a commute like the plague unless you're dealing with public transit and can study on a train.

Yardieatty

Postby Yardieatty » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:09 pm

Fred_McGriff wrote:
3 Hours would mess your whole life up. With NYC traffic, there is no guarantee you would have a consistent commute length, and with your academic schedule, there is no guarantee the light commute days would line up when you needed them.

Avoid that long of a commute like the plague unless you're dealing with public transit and can study on a train.

Thanks. Apparently according to previous responses the commute might be a bit less, I figure it would still be about an hour each way all things considered. I have to make a decision by tomorrow and I really don't know what to do.

Some Person

Postby Some Person » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:19 pm

TBH, I don't know much about either school. I skimmed the TLS ranking info on them and looked at the stats/conclusions of each. Cardozo seems like a much better school. With a full scholarship, I think you should find a way to make it work. If it's an hour-long commute, that is indeed a lot of time spend traveling, but it's doable. I think you could find a way to take advantage of the commute, whether that is reading/doing work or maybe just unwinding and relaxing with some music (at least for me, both are helpful/useful activities). Maybe you should do a test commute tomorrow. Go early in the morning and time the route. See if you can concentrate while reading something. That might help you get a feel for what you'd be in for. Still, I think with the disparity in rankings, I'd take Cardozo. My $0.02.

That LIRR thing sounds good. Even if it costs a little bit of money, you can probably take out a loan to help with living expenses and whatnot. Take out a little bit more if it'll help you get to campus in 20 minutes without destroying your financial situation. Again, I'm not from NYC and don't really know about this stuff, but I'd try to find a way to make Cardozo work.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”