USD (sticker) vs. Cal Western 10k (per year)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

USD sticker vs Cal Western (10k per year)

USD sticker
11
92%
Cal Western 10k per year
1
8%
 
Total votes: 12

buski1234
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:27 pm

USD (sticker) vs. Cal Western 10k (per year)

Postby buski1234 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:08 pm

Hey everybody, I've been searching this and other forums and found similar posts but none that fit my exact situation so I would like you all to weigh in.

I received a scholarship from California Western (San Diego t4) for 10k a year if I beat their 74% curve and maintain an 80% or better. Assuming I don't get eaten up by their attrition rate I can receive more $$$ if I do well my first year.

I was WL this morning at USD and given my numbers (2.9 lsac gpa and 159 lsat) and my late application submission (march 3rd :shock:) I doubt I'll receive a scholarship.

I know degrees from either school will lead to working/trying to work mainly in the surrounding area until that debt is paid off, Big Law is not my goal... which is why Cal Western is on the table, I have a place to stay for $350 a month in SD so cost of living isn't much of a concern, I rather be in the least amount of debt as possible but given the ranking/status of school/economy/every other factor I'm wondering if 92k at cal western is worth passing up for sticker (124k) at USD if I get in.

Also Cal Western has suspended merger talks with UCSD: http://www.thefacultylounge.org/2011/04 ... talks.html

What would you do?

bhan87
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Re: USD (sticker) vs. Cal Western 10k (per year)

Postby bhan87 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:11 pm

buski1234 wrote:Hey everybody, I've been searching this and other forums and found similar posts but none that fit my exact situation so I would like you all to weigh in.

I received a scholarship from California Western (San Diego t4) for 10k a year if I beat their 74% curve and maintain an 80% or better. Assuming I don't get eaten up by their attrition rate I can receive more $$$ if I do well my first year.

I was WL this morning at USD and given my numbers (2.9 lsac gpa and 159 lsat) and my late application submission (march 3rd :shock:) I doubt I'll receive a scholarship.

I know degrees from either school will lead to working/trying to work mainly in the surrounding area until that debt is paid off, Big Law is not my goal... which is why Cal Western is on the table, I have a place to stay for $350 a month in SD so cost of living isn't much of a concern, I rather be in the least amount of debt as possible but given the ranking/status of school/economy/every other factor I'm wondering if 92k at cal western is worth passing up for sticker (124k) at USD if I get in.

Also Cal Western has suspended merger talks with UCSD: http://www.thefacultylounge.org/2011/04 ... talks.html

What would you do?


Your assumption should be USD vs Cal Western 10k for ONE year. Cal Western has some of the worst scholarship stipulations and you're very likely to lose it after your first year.

I don't think going to USD at sticker is a great idea, but it's a much better choice than Cal Western even if Cal Western offered you a full ride.

jesss
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: USD (sticker) vs. Cal Western 10k (per year)

Postby jesss » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:12 pm

you might want to give this a look...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106548

sticker at usd is tough. before choosing cal western, see if you can get some more money out of them.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: USD (sticker) vs. Cal Western 10k (per year)

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:15 pm

If you choose between these two, go to USD.

I would recommend retaking and reapplying early next cycle to either try and get money out of USD or to go to a better school.

buski1234
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:27 pm

Re: USD (sticker) vs. Cal Western 10k (per year)

Postby buski1234 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:47 pm

bk1 wrote:If you choose between these two, go to USD.

I would recommend retaking and reapplying early next cycle to either try and get money out of USD or to go to a better school.


As much as I agree with your statement I don't believe this to be feasible for me at this time. If I'm going to attend Law School, this next Fall will be my best option. I still have 9 schools to hear back from, but the San Diego schools take slight priority because of proximity to family, etc. Since these are the only two schools I've heard back from I wanted to hear opinions about my situation. Also, I have to put down a seat deposit for Cal Western this Friday April 15th.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: USD (sticker) vs. Cal Western 10k (per year)

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:53 pm

buski1234 wrote:As much as I agree with your statement I don't believe this to be feasible for me at this time. If I'm going to attend Law School, this next Fall will be my best option. I still have 9 schools to hear back from, but the San Diego schools take slight priority because of proximity to family, etc. Since these are the only two schools I've heard back from I wanted to hear opinions about my situation. Also, I have to put down a seat deposit for Cal Western this Friday April 15th.


I can't see any school other being a much better deal than USD for someone with your numbers due to the fact that you can get by with a very low CoL (you have very minimal rent).

I still think retaking and aiming for a higher scholarship to USD is a much better idea but to each their own.

User avatar
EstboundNDwn
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:15 pm

Re: USD (sticker) vs. Cal Western 10k (per year)

Postby EstboundNDwn » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:40 pm

buski1234 wrote:
bk1 wrote:If you choose between these two, go to USD.

I would recommend retaking and reapplying early next cycle to either try and get money out of USD or to go to a better school.


As much as I agree with your statement I don't believe this to be feasible for me at this time. If I'm going to attend Law School, this next Fall will be my best option. I still have 9 schools to hear back from, but the San Diego schools take slight priority because of proximity to family, etc. Since these are the only two schools I've heard back from I wanted to hear opinions about my situation. Also, I have to put down a seat deposit for Cal Western this Friday April 15th.


While the USD sticker price is really steep, Cal Western is going to hinder your long-term career potential in SoCal. SD only has a couple BigLaw firms, which recruit from the usual T-14s, so you're going to face a lot of competition for those jobs wherever you go. On the bright side, USD grads do have a shot at them if you finish well in your class, or you build up a solid resume over time; Cal Western and TJ grad won't.

San Diego has also has a handful of Mid-sized firms, which would be accessible to you as a Cal Western grad, but as a USD grad, you're still going to have the advantage.

Also, as someone else said, Cal Western's stipulations are notoriously brutal. They may let in a lot of people, but they also make a living off taking 1L's money before sending them packing.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: USD (sticker) vs. Cal Western 10k (per year)

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:46 pm

Retaking is by far the bet option. If thats truly off the table then I would go to USD and pray to land a job that will pay off that debt. Dont go to Cal Western, you will lose the scholly and will not have a job.

buski1234
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:27 pm

Re: USD (sticker) vs. Cal Western 10k (per year)

Postby buski1234 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:24 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Retaking is by far the bet option. If thats truly off the table then I would go to USD and pray to land a job that will pay off that debt. Dont go to Cal Western, you will lose the scholly and will not have a job.


At this time retaking just doesn't seem likely and losing the scholarship is definitely my biggest concern, I would hate to lose it and be stuck at cal western at full price.

Thanks everyone for your input I really appreciate it.

any more insight is welcome!




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Lahtso Nuggin and 5 guests