Opinions Wanted: Chicago (69k), UVA (142k), NU (150k) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School for Boushi

Chicago (69k)
32%
UVA (142K)
45%
NU (150k)
22%

Total votes: 99

Verity

Silver

Re: Opinions Wanted: Chicago (69k), UVA (142k), NU (150k)

Post by Verity » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:16 pm

boushi wrote:Update: I found out from Chicago that, as Desert Fox suggested might be true, they do in fact consider being held as being on a wait list, and I thus wouldn't have to withdraw from H to take the Chicago offer. I also found out that the research position at Chicago that I earlier assumed would be a 1L summer thing would actually happen this summer (but I could do it remotely from my current location). It's also paid, but barely (not nearly as much as I make per hour in my current work), so I would only do it to connect with the prof running the program.

That said, they denied one last request to increase my aid, and thus I'm still pretty torn going into the final 14 hours of my decision (I would have to mail the check from Asia no later than 14 hours from now to hold my seat at Chicago).

Chicago, FTW. If Harvard says yes, take it (for Asia). You might want to check out their (H and C) JD/MBA programs. I know a few JD/MBAs who, at their current schools, had the option to get into the 4-year program after they started their 1L year.

dowon

New

Post by dowon » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:30 am

I have similar interests as you (speak Japanese/Korean and was considering one of your three schools), but I don't know much about Big Law/career paths.

I think in Japan and Korea, though, because they are prestige-conscious, UVA would probably have the least name recognition. Also, UVA is so much bent toward European law, though I suppose you could have a niche in that there. However, UVA is a feeder school for DC, which has a ton of think tanks/firms oriented toward East Asia anyway. Also, I would not turn down a full ride for schools (Chicago, NU) that don't have much name recognition in Asia either. Aside from ivy league schools, the other schools most noted in Asia are, understandably, Pacific rim (i.e. Stanford, UCLA, USC).

I know you are interested in academia in Korea/Japan, but you know Korea pays considerably less to non-Korean professors? It's nationalist thing. Japan has the same kind of nationalism problem, but I am not sure if it is as pervasive in academia.

Just my two cents. Congrats on your amazing scholarships!

boushi

Bronze

Post by boushi » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:29 am

dowon wrote:I have similar interests as you (speak Japanese/Korean and was considering one of your three schools), but I don't know much about Big Law/career paths.

I think in Japan and Korea, though, because they are prestige-conscious, UVA would probably have the least name recognition. Also, UVA is so much bent toward European law, though I suppose you could have a niche in that there. However, UVA is a feeder school for DC, which has a ton of think tanks/firms oriented toward East Asia anyway. Also, I would not turn down a full ride for schools (Chicago, NU) that don't have much name recognition in Asia either. Aside from ivy league schools, the other schools most noted in Asia are, understandably, Pacific rim (i.e. Stanford, UCLA, USC).

I know you are interested in academia in Korea/Japan, but you know Korea pays considerably less to non-Korean professors? It's nationalist thing. Japan has the same kind of nationalism problem, but I am not sure if it is as pervasive in academia.

Just my two cents. Congrats on your amazing scholarships!
Thanks for your feedback!

The Korean variable in all of this is a bit harder for me to guage than the others. (I think things will change really quickly after the KFTA kicks in, but it's unpredictable just how they will change.) I know about the prof pay here (I'm in Seoul at the moment working on a book) and about the general xenophobia. In Japan, Chicago actually has a very strong reputation and places fairly well (notably better than Virginia from everything I've managed to gather until now). You're right, however, that access to UVA's nat'l security/government network in DC is certainly a big plus in its favor, though. That said, the issue of special access to this particular prof at Chicago (there is no one of his stature in dealing with comparative international issues at UVA) is also worth something to me, assuming it would actually be the basis for a substantive relationship.

Assuming I was a special snowflake and got into government/security circles at UVA, I could definitely see exploring that route but, considering my (spouse-track?) SO is a foreign citizen and I haven't previously done much of that type of work beyond advising a Japanese politician on the Futenma base issue (random, I know), I'm very cautious about where that route could even take me. UVA on a full scholly would definitely be the exact right place to explore such an interest, but opportunity cost is such a bitch and, if I discovered I was one of the least special snowflakes (not unlikely) or simply decided for practical reasons that wanted a more conventional path into Asian, it seems Chicago would probably have an edge.

Two and a half hours until the post office closes and the poll is tightening.... hrmmm...

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:59 am

OP, what did you decide on?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:48 pm

I'm curious too, if only to hear the OP explain how JAG could possibly fit into his very specific plans.

Good problem to have, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:18 pm

The OP may not be around anymore since this post is two years old, but it looks like he picked Chicago.

boushi

Bronze

Post by boushi » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:30 pm

I'm still a lurker, albeit a rather infrequent one.

Yes, in the end, I did choose UChicago. It actually came down a very personal consideration pertaining to where I believed my SO (now spouse) could live and further his/her career.

For what it's worth, though I've done relatively well at UChicago (including ending up with an offer at my target ny biglaw firm) and have no real complaints about the school or the student body, I would almost certainly take the UVA offer if I had to do it again. None of the advantages of UChicago were worth 90k in loans, in my opinion. And Hyde Park truly is a hell hole.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”