Emory 24k + living expenses vs UM/UF/FSU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Emory 24k + living expenses vs UM/UF/FSU

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:52 pm

bk1 wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:The employment rates 9 months after graduation is meaningless


There is no way you can possibly defend this statement.


Depends on how you interpret it, so allow me to spell it out. The OP quoted a 95% employment rate after graduation. This is a strictly numerical statistic which can obviously be inflated and manipulated any number of ways. Now, if this 95% was in government and firm work, then that would obviously be fantastic. But what if 50% are in the category of "business"? I think it is fair to take extreme caution with regard to approaching that as a valid source of information.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Emory 24k + living expenses vs UM/UF/FSU

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:54 pm

bk1 wrote:
massattack wrote:
bk1 wrote:If UF/FSU are cheaper and you want to work in Florida, why not take one of them?


sorry guys...my bad....I meant to say Florida AND Atlanta**

I truly apologize if that caused any confusion.


Oh that makes more sense. Then I say 60k debt from Emory is definitely fine.

The guy who said "look at what 750/month for 10 years can buy you" isn't looking at it right. Basically you are paying that money to be a lawyer. So if you value a vacation/car/whatever that money would be spent on over being a lawyer then of course don't take out 60k in debt, but if you want to be a lawyer, paying 60k at Emory is pretty good.


But I believe that given his career aspirations and desire to work in Florida, UF (or FSU, if you like it) at ZERO COA outside of opportunity costs would be a better option.
Last edited by FeelTheHeat on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Emory 24k + living expenses vs UM/UF/FSU

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:57 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:But I believe given his career aspirations and desire to work in Florida, UF (or FSU, if you like it) at ZERO COA outside of opportunity costs would be a better option.


I agree with this statement and actually said the same thing. Then the OP said that Atlanta was a goal as well.

Which brings us to the question of whether 60k is worth it to the OP to open up the possibility of working in Atlanta.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Emory 24k + living expenses vs UM/UF/FSU

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:59 pm

bk1 wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:But I believe given his career aspirations and desire to work in Florida, UF (or FSU, if you like it) at ZERO COA outside of opportunity costs would be a better option.


I agree with this statement and actually said the same thing. Then the OP said that Atlanta was a goal as well.

Which brings us to the question of whether 60k is worth it to the OP to open up the possibility of working in Atlanta.


Gotcha. I suppose it would, especially if he's a prestige whore (not that there's anything wrong with that; I passed up a 20k scholarship to FSU to attend UF). Gut choice would probably say Emory if he wouldn't mind Atlanta, especially because (and this is an assumption) it is better than the hot garbage that is Florida's economy.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Emory 24k + living expenses vs UM/UF/FSU

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:02 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Depends on how you interpret it, so allow me to spell it out. The OP quoted a 95% employment rate after graduation. This is a strictly numerical statistic which can obviously be inflated and manipulated any number of ways. Now, if this 95% was in government and firm work, then that would obviously be fantastic. But what if 50% are in the category of "business"? I think it is fair to take extreme caution with regard to approaching that as a valid source of information.


This is a fairer assessment. In 2009 Emory was around 15-20% of unemployed/employed part time/business/seeking additional degree/unknown. That is about as good as it gets for schools outside the T18 (with a few minor exceptions).

User avatar
massattack
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Emory 24k + living expenses vs UM/UF/FSU

Postby massattack » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:06 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
bk1 wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:The employment rates 9 months after graduation is meaningless


There is no way you can possibly defend this statement.


Depends on how you interpret it, so allow me to spell it out. The OP quoted a 95% employment rate after graduation. This is a strictly numerical statistic which can obviously be inflated and manipulated any number of ways. Now, if this 95% was in government and firm work, then that would obviously be fantastic. But what if 50% are in the category of "business"? I think it is fair to take extreme caution with regard to approaching that as a valid source of information.


This is very true, however, it is a valid source of information (e.g., it still, quantitatively, shows employment). I never mentioned WHAT kind of employment... just that there WAS employment. Employment could mean working at McDonalds. So, the real question is "what kind of employment is being represented in that 95%?"

As per the comment about 60k being worth going to ATL vs. FL....
I think that I would much rather live in a beautiful city like ATL then a place like Gainesville or Tallahassee.
Since I can't really go to school in ATL while going to UF or FSU (flippant), I guess I really don't have a choice.
That being said, Emory is a wonderful school and, as far as choices go, I'm lucky that this is the decision I'm faced with. All things considered, I am very lucky and grateful to have the hardest decision in my life being "what excellent law school I should go to."

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Emory 24k + living expenses vs UM/UF/FSU

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:14 pm

If you would really rather be employed in Atlanta than Florida, I think this is an easy call for Emory at a very reasonable cost.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Emory 24k + living expenses vs UM/UF/FSU

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:20 pm

bk1 wrote:If you would really rather be employed in Atlanta than Florida, I think this is an easy call for Emory at a very reasonable cost.

User avatar
massattack
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Emory 24k + living expenses vs UM/UF/FSU

Postby massattack » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:37 pm

bk1 wrote:If you would really rather be employed in Atlanta than Florida, I think this is an easy call for Emory at a very reasonable cost.


It's not that I would RATHER be employed in Atlanta...it's that either one (ATL and FL) is equally as appealing to me. Therefore, the reason I'm leaning towards Emory is because: while UF places well in FL, it doesn't place in GA and, while Emory doesn't place AS WELL as UF in Florida, it does place in both FL and GA. Given that the employment stats at and before graduation are fairly equal for UF and Emory, the chances of employment (inductively) have to be better at Emory considering that there is higher chance to get a job in GA, in addition to the ability to cross over between markets.

User avatar
massattack
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Emory 24k + living expenses vs UM/UF/FSU

Postby massattack » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:40 pm

lol I know btw before you say it...COA...while employment prospects inductively seem better at Emory, it doesn't change the fact that it would be cheaper to go to UF.

Fine. But, like I said, I like ATL alot.

Or...at least more than Gainesville and T-town.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests