Choose my law school-- please help

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which law school should I attend!?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:01 pm

Tulane (15K scholarship)
16%
Villanova (25K scholarship)
48%
Richmond (20K scholarship)
6%
Loyola Chicago (16K scholarship)
10%
Brooklyn (no scholarship)
6%
American (no scholarship)
3%
Maryland (no scholarship)
10%

Total votes: 31

egor2510

Choose my law school-- please help

Postby egor2510 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:01 pm

I am having a hard time choosing from these schools. I am from New Jersey and ultimately would like to end up back in the Northeast, but am willing to go elsewhere for law school.

enron123

Re: Choose my law school-- please help

Postby enron123 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:09 pm

Do you have stips to schollys? Any idea what you want to practice? Have you been working? All relevant information as your looking at alot of debt

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:11 pm

My random thoughts on these:
-The cost figures at both American and Brooklyn scare the hell out of me
-UMd is in Baltimore, not exactly the best city in my book
-I am a former UR undergrad student. That school places well in one region.... Richmond
-Loyola Chicago is a great school (I'm writing my deposit check as I type) but its in Chicago which has tough winters and is a pretty saturated legal market. That $16k scholly is very attractive though (Loyola is generally pretty stingy so congrats there).
-Loyola places well in the Chicagoland area (WI, IL, and IN) and does not travel well. If you need to go back to NJ, I don't think its your best option. With that being said, Chicago is quite possibly the best city on the face of the planet and you'll never want to go back to Jersey!
-Villanova had that scandal the past few months with stat inflation. Who knows how far their ranking will fall (already dropped in the latest rankings quite a bit). That scares me.
-I know nothing about Tulane other than its in hurricane country. I'm guessing NJ placement isn't great from there.

best of luck!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:11 pm

Richmond, Tulane or Maryland. Loyola-Chicago is also attractive but may not get you back to New Jersey. Have you calculated the total COA for each school ?
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:12 pm

and after writing that I just received this from Loyola:

We are pleased to inform you that Loyola University Chicago School of Law will no longer require a minimum GPA for students to maintain their merit scholarships. As long as you remain in good academic standing (which requires a 2.0 cumulative GPA), you will retain your scholarship.

We hope that the security this new policy provides will help you in deciding where to attend law school.

so that's nice.

egor2510

Postby egor2510 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:27 pm

Thanks for all the responses so far. In terms of COL, american and brooklyn will be quite high whereas the others will be moderate. In terms of stipulations, they are pretty standard and involve maintaining a 3.0+. That is nice to hear about Loyola and I really enjoyed my visit (the weather is a really big turn off though).

I loved Tulane and it's national reputation is a major draw as it places well on both coasts.

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:54 pm

hey egor, were you at the Discover Loyola program this past saturday? I sat next to someone from Jersey at lunch.

egor2510

Postby egor2510 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:33 pm

aknecht wrote:hey egor, were you at the Discover Loyola program this past saturday? I sat next to someone from Jersey at lunch.

I wasn't. I made a class visit by myself and got a tour.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”