NW vs WUSTL $$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NW or WUSTL $$

Northwestern (COA:210k)
67%
WUSTL (COA:114)
33%

Total votes: 30

splitmuch

Silver

NW vs WUSTL $$

Post by splitmuch » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:41 pm

NW at sticker or WUSTL with the 28 thousand a year?

I want to do gov, but I am very interested in DOJ Honors which I understand is extremely competitive and would be interested in clerkship. I do vastly prefer Chicago to St Louis for a number of reasons. Essentially my heart wants NW but my head is telling me that may be stupid

splitmuch

Silver

Re: NW vs WUSTL $$

Post by splitmuch » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:11 pm

Shameless bump, any insight especially WRT to DOJ Honors would be appreciated.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:16 pm

GO FOR GOLD!! What's another 96k? You only live once.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:20 pm

You're going to be in $100k+ of debt at either one, if you don't do well at WUSTL you will have a hard time NU will give you a little more cushion even if the debt payments are larger.

jonillson

New

Post by jonillson » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:22 pm

bdubs wrote:You're going to be in $100k+ of debt at either one, if you don't do well at WUSTL you will have a hard time NU will give you a little more cushion even if the debt payments are larger double.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:22 pm

I would have said WUSTL if you didn't have your sights on prestigious employment and Chicago specifically.

Also lol at "what's another 100k." It's one hundred thousand dollars.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:24 pm

Hannibal wrote:I would have said WUSTL if you didn't have your sights on prestigious employment and Chicago specifically.

If it means falling on the left or right node of the distribution that $100k is going to seem small.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:26 pm

bdubs wrote:
Hannibal wrote:I would have said WUSTL if you didn't have your sights on prestigious employment and Chicago specifically.

If it means falling on the left or right node of the distribution that $100k is going to seem small.
That is starting salary. Also NU does not guarantee biglaw. Also WUSTL does not eliminate the possibility of biglaw. And most people stay in biglaw under four years. So basically if you make biglaw at WUSTL with 100k in debt, you are way richer than NU with 200k debt. If you make it into that section where you would have gotten biglaw and NU and instead get 60k out of WUSTL, that makes a difference for the time you are in biglaw. If you're in the position where you'd make money in the lower section regardless, you'd be more free at WUSTL. The number of people who are unemployed in WUSTL over unemployed at NU is also very small.

Also, class of 2006.
Last edited by Hannibal on Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:29 pm

Hannibal wrote:That is starting salary. Also NU does not guarantee biglaw. Also WUSTL does not eliminate the possibility of biglaw. And most people stay in biglaw under four years.
I didn't say it did. I just think it would be hard to pay off the $100k+ of debt from WUSTL if you miss the biglaw boat. Chances of doing that from WUSTL are significantly larger than from NU.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:31 pm

bdubs wrote:
Hannibal wrote:That is starting salary. Also NU does not guarantee biglaw. Also WUSTL does not eliminate the possibility of biglaw. And most people stay in biglaw under four years.
I didn't say it did. I just think it would be hard to pay off the $100k+ of debt from WUSTL if you miss the biglaw boat. Chances of doing that from WUSTL are significantly larger than from NU.
No it wouldn't. If you can't pay off $1.25k/month (ten year repayment schedule) on 40-60k in the midwest (starting), your standards of living are a little high for someone right out of school.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:34 pm

Put it this way; if you make biglaw at both, and follow the ten year repayment schedule, if you put the money you would have spent on NU loans into an education trust, by the tenth year you've virtually paid for your kid's college. Never sneeze at 100k.

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:36 pm

If you want Chicago, I think NU is a wiser move. I've heard a lot of stories about WUSTL grads having trouble getting jobs in Chicago in the last few years.

FWIW I was in a similar situation to yours and chose NU.

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:37 pm

Hannibal wrote:Put it this way; if you make biglaw at both, and follow the ten year repayment schedule, if you put the money you would have spent on NU loans into an education trust, by the tenth year you've virtually paid for your kid's college. Never sneeze at 100k.
If.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:37 pm

Hannibal wrote:Put it this way; if you make biglaw at both, and follow the ten year repayment schedule, if you put the money you would have spent on NU loans into an education trust, by the tenth year you've virtually paid for your kid's college. Never sneeze at 100k.
No, but people treat the debt differences as a safety net when they aren't. If you just have any old undergrad degree you can make 40-60k per year without taking out 100k+ in law school loans.
Last edited by bdubs on Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:38 pm

cubswin wrote:
If.
Yeah, the point is that you should seriously question whether a 20% better chance at biglaw is worth 100k+ in loans.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:39 pm

bdubs wrote:
No, but people treat the debt differences as a safety net when they aren't. If you just have any old undergrad degree you can make 40-60k per year without taking out 100k+ in law school loans.
If that were true, law schools wouldn't be flooded with people with BAs and bad jobs.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:40 pm

Hannibal wrote:
cubswin wrote:
If.
Yeah, the point is that you should seriously question whether a 20% better chance at biglaw is worth 100k+ in loans.
It's more like a 50% better chance.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2483173162

Also, OP isn't interested in biglaw, he wants DOJ Honors or clerkship. Those are both going to be a challenge from either school, but I think NU would give him a serious leg up and a good LRAP.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WhirledWorld

Bronze

Post by WhirledWorld » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:42 pm

Last edited by WhirledWorld on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:43 pm

NU. 100k is a ton of money, but you only get one shot at your first legal job.

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:46 pm

bdubs wrote: Also, OP isn't interested in biglaw, he wants DOJ Honors or clerkship. Those are both going to be a challenge from either school, but I think NU would give him a serious leg up and a good LRAP.
I kind of skipped over that part at the beginning and read mostly responses. Some people get good government jobs out of NU, but its clerkship placement seems like it kind of sucks. If you're sure you want to clerk, I don't know if NU is your best bet. Though I don't know how it compares to WUSTL in that department either.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:53 pm

cubswin wrote:
bdubs wrote: Also, OP isn't interested in biglaw, he wants DOJ Honors or clerkship. Those are both going to be a challenge from either school, but I think NU would give him a serious leg up and a good LRAP.
I kind of skipped over that part at the beginning and read mostly responses. Some people get good government jobs out of NU, but its clerkship placement seems like it kind of sucks. If you're sure you want to clerk, I don't know if NU is your best bet. Though I don't know how it compares to WUSTL in that department either.
I've read that that is mostly self selection, which could be spin but makese sense given the WE heavy classes and, in 07 at least, 3 NU alums got SCOTUS clerkships (according to the TLS write up)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:54 pm

cubswin wrote:
Not sure where you got that info. NU does about as well as its peer schools in clerkship placement. It also does significantly better than WUSTL in Article III placements.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... s-rankings
Last edited by bdubs on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:57 pm

bdubs wrote: It's more like a 50% better chance.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2483173162

Also, OP isn't interested in biglaw, he wants DOJ Honors or clerkship. Those are both going to be a challenge from either school, but I think NU would give him a serious leg up and a good LRAP.

You did see that NU placed 44% into NLJ250 jobs? That only makes sense if WUSTL had -6% placement, and you didn't include regional biglaw not in the NLJ250 rankigns.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:57 pm

WhirledWorld wrote:If you want to do government, go for WUSTL. It doesn't make a lot of sense to borrow 6 figures of debt (and the interest that accumulates on it) when you're looking at a 50k salary.
If you only make 50k working for the government you are going to need to use IBR/LRAP whether you owe 114k or 210k. You may as well go to the school that is going to give you a better shot at landing the job.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:58 pm

Best choice for any employment in Chicago: NU (by a mile)
Best choice for DoJ: NU (by a decent, albeit small, margin)
Best choice for avoiding soulcrushing debt: WUSTL (by a mile)

I think the rational choice here is WUSTL. If you miss out on PI or biglaw and end up taking a small firm job (which has a very decent chance of happening at NU), you will have soulcrushing debt payments for 20-30 if you're taking on 200k+. If you end up at a small firm with your WUSTL debt, you have the very real option of being debt free in 10 years.

That said, getting Chicago specifically will be a struggle out of WUSTL (doable, but still hard), as will the DoJ (but the DoJ will be almost as tough out of NU). So decide whether another decade or two of loan repayments are worth staying in Chicago for you.

Personally I think avoiding the extra loan payments is the rational choice. However, I think I would make an irrational decision and choose NU if I were faced with the choice myself because my desire to be in the place I want to be would trump going to a regional school that didn't primarily place in that area.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”