emory or wait and try for T14? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bk1

Diamond

Re: emory or wait and try for T14?

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:29 pm

Pricer wrote:many graduates planning to go to law school have degrees in philosophy, political science, history, English, etc. These degrees are basically useless in the real world.
You can still get a job as a paper pusher, office drone, food service, etc. Yes, things will be rough and shitty but you can still survive for a year while retaking the LSAT. I'm not saying you need to find a career-track job, I'm saying you should be able to survive while you retake the LSAT.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Pricer wrote:I was finally able to find something that allows me to be almost self-sufficient, but it took 300+ applications and resume submissions, and actually, both paralegal jobs I got through connections. The first came from a firm where one of the top partners is a good friend of my mother's, and the second came from a friend who worked here for a couple of years part time and recommended me because he knew I was looking for something law related until law school began. I will agree that this has taught me somewhat of a lesson and will make me approach law school in a completely different way than I approached undergrad, but finding these jobs was not only a huge pain in the ass, they were both practically given to me once they became available because of a connection I had rather than my own merit.
How is this any different than the situation you would be in coming out of law school 3 years later? There are kids from top regional schools sending out more resumes than this and having trouble.

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:51 pm

bk187 wrote:
Pricer wrote:I was finally able to find something that allows me to be almost self-sufficient, but it took 300+ applications and resume submissions, and actually, both paralegal jobs I got through connections. The first came from a firm where one of the top partners is a good friend of my mother's, and the second came from a friend who worked here for a couple of years part time and recommended me because he knew I was looking for something law related until law school began. I will agree that this has taught me somewhat of a lesson and will make me approach law school in a completely different way than I approached undergrad, but finding these jobs was not only a huge pain in the ass, they were both practically given to me once they became available because of a connection I had rather than my own merit.
How is this any different than the situation you would be in coming out of law school 3 years later? There are kids from top regional schools sending out more resumes than this and having trouble.
Which is why I am heavily leaning towards UT over UGA. My primary opposition to UGA Law is how worthless my BBA from UGA's Terry College of Business turned out to be. Plus, law jobs are based more on merit than connections, while business jobs are strictly based on connections outside of the top 5-10% here. Because I was planning to attend law school, I failed to join the key networks that would allow me to obtain a finance job like I wanted, and because of the strict rules UGA's accounting department places on the accounting classes, only accounting majors had the chance to receive accounting jobs. Other business majors were required to take the two intro classes but were not allowed to take anymore, while most employers preferred (or required) intermediate and advanced classes.

enron123

Bronze

Post by enron123 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:06 pm

I like derailing forum discussions :D

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:28 pm

Honestly, all soft/application factors aside, OP did pretty well on #'s alone.

Would a 170 and a 3.2 wind up significantly better than Emory?

Would losing a year of practicing law be worth an extra 40k in scholarships?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:33 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:Would a 170 and a 3.2 wind up significantly better than Emory?

Yes, a 170/3.2 can get scholarships to other regional schools (thinking WUSTL/Illinois/etc). Has the definite possibility of getting a lower T14 (especially with ED or multiple ED's).

It easily is worth it considering that the most likely result is a 30-60k/year job and that 40k in scholly money would be instead be 40k in loan money with an 8%ish interest rate.

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:37 pm

bk187 wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:Would a 170 and a 3.2 wind up significantly better than Emory?

Yes, a 170/3.2 can get scholarships to other regional schools (thinking WUSTL/Illinois/etc). Has the definite possibility of getting a lower T14 (especially with ED or multiple ED's).

It easily is worth it considering that the most likely result is a 30-60k/year job and that 40k in scholly money would be instead be 40k in loan money with an 8%ish interest rate.
LOL Emory on average does better than that. It is a very good school with some national appeal. Its 30 ranking is a bit misleading. You make it sound like it sucks.

According to a few top law firms in NYC through friends of parents who asked their recruiting team for me, Emory is much better regarded than some schools I thought it would be in NYC relative to some of those early 20 schools.

30-60k, really?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:40 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:LOL Emory on average does better than that. It is a very good school with some national appeal. Its 30 ranking is a bit misleading. You make it sound like it sucks.

According to a few top law firms in NYC through friends of parents who asked their recruiting team for me, Emory is much better regarded than some schools I thought it would be in NYC relative to some of those early 20 schools.

30-60k, really?
Emory really doesn't. For most schools (exceptions might be T18 but even that I think is stretching it), the majority of kids are starting out at under 60k. That isn't to say that Emory doesn't have more reach to NYC than most other top regional schools, it definitely does.

30-60k, really. The legal market is shit and the bimodal salary distribution kind of sucks.

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:09 pm

bk187 wrote:

WUSTL seems to really like splitters. I agree with bk187, I could definitely see the OP getting money there with a 170.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:20 pm

Pricer wrote:
bk187 wrote:

WUSTL seems to really like splitters. I agree with bk187, I could definitely see the OP getting money there with a 170.
Is $ at WUSTL significantly better than $ to Emory if one's goal is starting salary?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:22 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:Is $ at WUSTL significantly better than $ to Emory if one's goal is starting salary?
WUSTL and Emory at equal cost are probably about the same. WUSTL will place better in the midwest, Emory will place better in the south.

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:24 pm

bk187 wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:Is $ at WUSTL significantly better than $ to Emory if one's goal is starting salary?
WUSTL and Emory at equal cost are probably about the same. WUSTL will place better in the midwest, Emory will place better in the south.
I would feel more comfortable with a WUSTL degree than an Emory degree if the costs were equal.

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:09 pm

For the Southeast Emory.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:21 pm

I went to a non-prestigious big public, got a job in DC fresh out of school, and doubled my salary within a year (and no, I didn't start as a hill rat with a super low salary). Sure it's not easy to find employment, but It certainly isn't hard if you look in the right cities.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:54 pm

Pricer wrote:
bk187 wrote:
I would feel more comfortable with a WUSTL degree than an Emory degree if the costs were equal.
what makes you say that? Seems like the difference is only what region one wants to practice in...

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:58 pm

Wash U hands out bags of cash. Seriously I have never seen another school give out as much $ as Wash U.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:12 am

FiveSermon wrote:Wash U hands out bags of cash. Seriously I have never seen another school give out as much $ as Wash U.
Indiana what what?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

david787

Bronze

Post by david787 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:54 am

Why not retake it? You will most likely do better, which means you'll be able to get into Emory again (possibly with $) or a higher ranked school that you would prefer. Seems like it's worth it unless you're in a hurry to start.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”