UW or Davis?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
orbitz1200

UW or Davis?

Postby orbitz1200 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:07 pm

After a lot of thought and research, I've basically narrowed my options down to the University of Washington and UC Davis. I would love to relocate to Seattle, but I've heard mixed things about the legal market there. It seems to be very insular, and I'd be from out of state and need to really network. On the other hand, I'm not crazy about Davis/Sacramento, but I have an excellent set of local legal connections.

Cost of attendence for me would be pretty much the same at either school, so I'm not considering that as a factor.

Thoughts? Any students or grads of either school out there who can help me decide? Davis has a first deposit due by Friday...

bk1

Re: UW or Davis?

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:56 pm

Davis can get you a job in other parts of CA just fine, but the CA market in general is pretty fucked.

Choose whether you'd rather be in Washington or California.

djjefferson

Re: UW or Davis?

Postby djjefferson » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:33 pm

PM: Ironically, I'm in the exact same situation - I'm currently accepted to both Davis and UW, and am getting anxious about the need to decide about the former by Friday. Many of my considerations also mirror yours - and the responses to a thread --LinkRemoved-- that I had posted about a month ago might answer some of your questions.

Ultimately, I too would prefer to live in Seattle than the Davis/Sac area, and UW also offers some interesting programs in environmental, international, and climate change law, the fields in which I hope to practice. As one poster to my previous thread commented, UW is the "king of its village" in the NW region; but as you note, I also understand that that area has a relatively insular legal community, and objectively speaking Seattle (and I suppose Portland) are far smaller legal markets than the Bay Area or LA. Moreover, I'd prefer the opportunity to practice in California, which would seem to be an argument for Davis. Still, I'm not entirely confident in the CA legal market specifically, nor the overall state of the state, so I'm wary.

Either way, I'll enroll as an OOS student (am currently a resident of Massachusetts), but a grant from Davis makes that option more palatable.

Bottom line for me is if I could attend UW but immediately take the bar in, and practice in CA, I'd be a happy man.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss further or bounce ideas off of one another prior to the Friday deadline.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”