Where should I go in CA?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go in CA?

USC: $0 aid
36
55%
UCI: 1/3rd tuition scholarship (renewable w/ good academic standing)
30
45%
 
Total votes: 66

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby sundance95 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:10 pm

dswimmer wrote:Once again, the poll options might be changing soon since Hastings just decreased my financial aid package...can they even do that once its been offered?!?! If this doesn't get resolved, I feel like that is reason enough to turn them down.

You're damn right it's enough, fuck them. Anecodotally, I know several 3Ls @ Hastings and evidently it's been a slaughter for their class. The statistics we have appear to bear out that view. Sadly, General Tso is no longer around to rebut that point, but know that he would have.

Even besides these issues, USC is TCR due to stated SoCal career preference.

User avatar
dswimmer
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:50 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby dswimmer » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:23 pm

sundance95 wrote:
dswimmer wrote:Once again, the poll options might be changing soon since Hastings just decreased my financial aid package...can they even do that once its been offered?!?! If this doesn't get resolved, I feel like that is reason enough to turn them down.

You're damn right it's enough, fuck them. Anecodotally, I know several 3Ls @ Hastings and evidently it's been a slaughter for their class. The statistics we have appear to bear out that view. Sadly, General Tso is no longer around to rebut that point, but know that he would have.

Even besides these issues, USC is TCR due to stated SoCal career preference.


I agree. Hastings has always been a hard sell because I don't want to work/live in SF permanently and because it is the farthest away from friends and family. I have kept them around because their Dean of Admissions is so darn nice and because they had the best package for me of the T1s I got into. Unfortunately, I feel like this situation is an eye-opener to what I will likely experience for the next three years. We'll see how they resolve this.

The thing about USC is that I'm just not in love with it. It might be that I can't get on board with that much debt, but something isn't exactly clicking. I'm going to go back again soon and see if anything changes. You never know...

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby Lasers » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:38 am

dswimmer wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
dswimmer wrote:Once again, the poll options might be changing soon since Hastings just decreased my financial aid package...can they even do that once its been offered?!?! If this doesn't get resolved, I feel like that is reason enough to turn them down.

You're damn right it's enough, fuck them. Anecodotally, I know several 3Ls @ Hastings and evidently it's been a slaughter for their class. The statistics we have appear to bear out that view. Sadly, General Tso is no longer around to rebut that point, but know that he would have.

Even besides these issues, USC is TCR due to stated SoCal career preference.


I agree. Hastings has always been a hard sell because I don't want to work/live in SF permanently and because it is the farthest away from friends and family. I have kept them around because their Dean of Admissions is so darn nice and because they had the best package for me of the T1s I got into. Unfortunately, I feel like this situation is an eye-opener to what I will likely experience for the next three years. We'll see how they resolve this.

The thing about USC is that I'm just not in love with it. It might be that I can't get on board with that much debt, but something isn't exactly clicking. I'm going to go back again soon and see if anything changes. You never know...

did you not accept the financial aid package in your letter?

i know, for my hastings grant letter, there was a 3 week deadline from the day it was received (for me it march 29th). i accepted the grants/loans about 1.5 weeks ago before the deadline. i'm thinking that if you didn't accept the package in the letter, they may have reduced the grants. i really, really doubt they simply reduced need based grants on a whim. that's ridiculous.
Last edited by Lasers on Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby Lasers » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:41 am

also, i wouldn't go to hastings if i were you.

you don't seem to be happy that it is so far away, and you don't seem to want to consider working in sf in addition to socal/sd. imo, go where you will be happy; i think being happy will be most conducive to success.

if you don't like usc, then don't go there either. the only problem is that if you end up in usd, the stipulation isn't ideal.

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby Lasers » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:44 am

sundance95 wrote:
dswimmer wrote:Once again, the poll options might be changing soon since Hastings just decreased my financial aid package...can they even do that once its been offered?!?! If this doesn't get resolved, I feel like that is reason enough to turn them down.

You're damn right it's enough, fuck them. Anecodotally, I know several 3Ls @ Hastings and evidently it's been a slaughter for their class. The statistics we have appear to bear out that view. Sadly, General Tso is no longer around to rebut that point, but know that he would have.

Even besides these issues, USC is TCR due to stated SoCal career preference.

all california schools are suffering, not just hastings. for davis, i know of the 3L's, only about 20% had secured jobs (if i remember correctly according to what was said at their ASD). usc might have slightly rosier numbers for their 3L's, but it is very likely extremely difficult for them as well.
Last edited by Lasers on Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby mrwarre85 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:44 am

swilson215 wrote:If you want SD I would normally say USD, but the top third stip would be a deal breaker for me. I can UCI becoming pretty prestigious in CA in the next 10 years, so that's what I went with (although I understand the concerns the OP posted earlier).


OP needs top third for every option. USC especially. How else is he going to have a shot at paying off that debt at USC without graduating in the top 1/3 and getting biglaw?

Sean1269
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby Sean1269 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:47 am

If you are debt-averse, USC is probably a bad option. Assuming you are paying yourself, it will be 200K when you factor interest in, that is a tough pill to swallow.

Davis is a tough measure because the grant is only for one year, however, cost of living in Davis is much cheaper than everywhere else on the list. Hastings is similar, just higher cost of living. Given the tuition hikes at UC schools, I would imagine you can expect to pay quite a bit more for tuition by your third year. I asked the Hastings dean at ASD last year what they were doing about the tuition hikes and he replied, "we are making it easier to get loans"....

LMU/USD/Pepp. are tough because of the top third requirement. From my experience, most of those with big scholly's (20K+) are in good shape to keep them after their first semester. Don't look at the top third requirement as a single variable probability question...it is multivariate, you got the scholly because more of those variables land in your favor.

I would go to UCI though. Good academic standing may not be bad. Irvine is an awesome area to live, albeit a bit boring. Housing isn't as bad as LA either. Good surfing in Huntington Beach too!


Good Luck!

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby Lasers » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:48 am

mrwarre85 wrote:
swilson215 wrote:If you want SD I would normally say USD, but the top third stip would be a deal breaker for me. I can UCI becoming pretty prestigious in CA in the next 10 years, so that's what I went with (although I understand the concerns the OP posted earlier).


OP needs top third for every option. USC especially. How else is he going to have a shot at paying off that debt at USC without graduating in the top 1/3 and getting biglaw?

agreed.

that's why hastings was the ideal choice, considering she was going to be graduating with very manageable debt and from a stronger school than usd. but the scholly money has apparently changed, and she wouldn't be happy in sf, so it ended up not being so ideal.

tough choices for OP.

amissionsix
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:37 am

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby amissionsix » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:27 am

Lasers wrote:all california schools are suffering, not just hastings. for davis, i know of the 3L's, only about 20% had secured jobs (if i remember correctly according to what was said at their ASD). usc might have slightly rosier numbers for their 3L's, but it is very likely extremely difficult for them as well.


And when I was at USC for their Admitted Students Day I spoke to a couple 3L's who said that it was tough for people outside of the top 10% to get big firm jobs. Not that they couldn't find work, but the big firms are still hiring out of a narrow window of each class, no matter what school (of the few under discussion here).

Another note...my good friend just graduated at the top of his class from USD and is getting paid top dollar (for any market) working in San Diego. So USD can be a good choice if you are able to do really well.

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby Lasers » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:27 am

amissionsix wrote:
Lasers wrote:all california schools are suffering, not just hastings. for davis, i know of the 3L's, only about 20% had secured jobs (if i remember correctly according to what was said at their ASD). usc might have slightly rosier numbers for their 3L's, but it is very likely extremely difficult for them as well.


And when I was at USC for their Admitted Students Day I spoke to a couple 3L's who said that it was tough for people outside of the top 10% to get big firm jobs. Not that they couldn't find work, but the big firms are still hiring out of a narrow window of each class, no matter what school (of the few under discussion here).

Another note...my good friend just graduated at the top of his class from USD and is getting paid top dollar (for any market) working in San Diego. So USD can be a good choice if you are able to do really well.

yeah, but being at the top of your class from any school will lead to many great options; but that won't be true for 95% of us.

ipod
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby ipod » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:07 am

If debt averse and not clicking, don't go to USC (really?! :(). I'm killing the stip options because if you're wrong, you're gonna get screwed at USD and/or Loyola (which is expensive as f*ck sticker). If you don't like the USC feel (urban rundown area + tough market outside of top 10%) and that's enough for you to forgo prestige/biglaw/alumni value, Hastings is prob out too. :| You only get a couple thou more than Davis, whose "feel" is different from Loyola/USC/Hastings... (maybe you'd prefer it?) while Irvine is a toss-up. You should probably visit.

In sum... Irvine. Davis. USC!!! All great choices! HTH

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby sundance95 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:31 pm

Seems like OP needs to decide between two different kinds of risk; either debt-risk at USC, or degree-risk at UCI. Best of luck, keep us informed.

amissionsix
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:37 am

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby amissionsix » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:59 pm

Lasers wrote:yeah, but being at the top of your class from any school will lead to many great options; but that won't be true for 95% of us.


Very true.

User avatar
dswimmer
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:50 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby dswimmer » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:58 pm

As an update, Hastings is reviewing my files and has asked me to fill out another financial indicator form that might more accurately reflect my situation. Although this doesn't answer how they could take back $ (they said it had to do with some formula from FAFSA, but that still doesn't seem to make sense since didn't they have to use it from the beginning?), at least they are trying to rectify the situation.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby 071816 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:34 am

So, out of curiosity, have you decided yet?

User avatar
dswimmer
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:50 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby dswimmer » Mon May 02, 2011 2:00 pm

chimp wrote:So, out of curiosity, have you decided yet?



I wish...

I'm down to USC, UCD, UCI, and USD. Hopefully my husband will hear back soon about a university job that will basically make my decision for me (1/2 tuition discount).

Note: I've updated the poll to reflect this. TLSers, thanks for affirming most of my thoughts on this process and giving me alternative perspectives to consider. Please let me know what you think about these final four!

2tearsinabucket
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 2:36 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby 2tearsinabucket » Mon May 02, 2011 2:40 pm

dswimmer wrote:
chimp wrote:So, out of curiosity, have you decided yet?



I wish...

I'm down to USC, UCD, UCI, and USD. Hopefully my husband will hear back soon about a university job that will basically make my decision for me (1/2 tuition discount).

Note: I've updated the poll to reflect this. TLSers, thanks for affirming most of my thoughts on this process and giving me alternative perspectives to consider. Please let me know what you think about these final four!


I have no idea what the career wise best option is but why don't you ask your husband which city would give him the best chance at career advancement out of the school locations you have narrowed it down to?

bloopyblooper
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:02 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby bloopyblooper » Mon May 02, 2011 2:45 pm

dswimmer wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Lasers wrote:yeah, i updated. i didn't see the 1/3 stip earlier. it's definitely not a good choice.

also, there's no way you'd be in 150k debt from hastings with 20k+. 60k per year for the three years would mean 180k without any help; at most it would be 120k, likely less. i don't know the difference is big enough to choose it over usc, but it would likely be a clearly cheaper option.

imo, top 3 choices are usc, hastings, uci. they all have their strengths and weaknesses. up to OP to decide.


I may have read it wrong but I saw it as Hastings scholly of 30-40k. Hastings may be 60k/year now but it is definitely going up.


For Hastings I have 21k for the first year. Assuming that they determine that I have the same need for yrs 2 and 3, I will get 21k/yr for each, which is a max of 63k for all three years (unless they want to give me more...I wouldn't complain...).

I've listed the $ I have for 1 yr in the poll. The 3-yr. savings would have to be determined based on if I have the same need and/or meet the stips. If so, the amounts will be tripled for total savings.


Top 3rd stip for USD makes it much less attractive. IMO, UCI or Hastings.

User avatar
dswimmer
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:50 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby dswimmer » Mon May 02, 2011 2:55 pm

bloopyblooper wrote:
dswimmer wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Lasers wrote:yeah, i updated. i didn't see the 1/3 stip earlier. it's definitely not a good choice.

also, there's no way you'd be in 150k debt from hastings with 20k+. 60k per year for the three years would mean 180k without any help; at most it would be 120k, likely less. i don't know the difference is big enough to choose it over usc, but it would likely be a clearly cheaper option.

imo, top 3 choices are usc, hastings, uci. they all have their strengths and weaknesses. up to OP to decide.


I may have read it wrong but I saw it as Hastings scholly of 30-40k. Hastings may be 60k/year now but it is definitely going up.


For Hastings I have 21k for the first year. Assuming that they determine that I have the same need for yrs 2 and 3, I will get 21k/yr for each, which is a max of 63k for all three years (unless they want to give me more...I wouldn't complain...).

I've listed the $ I have for 1 yr in the poll. The 3-yr. savings would have to be determined based on if I have the same need and/or meet the stips. If so, the amounts will be tripled for total savings.


Top 3rd stip for USD makes it much less attractive. IMO, UCI or Hastings.


Thanks, but Hastings is no longer an option.

2tearsinabucket
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 2:36 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby 2tearsinabucket » Mon May 02, 2011 2:59 pm

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
dswimmer
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:50 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby dswimmer » Mon May 02, 2011 3:00 pm

2tearsinabucket wrote:
dswimmer wrote:
chimp wrote:So, out of curiosity, have you decided yet?



I wish...

I'm down to USC, UCD, UCI, and USD. Hopefully my husband will hear back soon about a university job that will basically make my decision for me (1/2 tuition discount).

Note: I've updated the poll to reflect this. TLSers, thanks for affirming most of my thoughts on this process and giving me alternative perspectives to consider. Please let me know what you think about these final four!


I have no idea what the career wise best option is but why don't you ask your husband which city would give him the best chance at career advancement out of the school locations you have narrowed it down to?


Any of the southern California ones would be fine. We are both from SD and plan to settle there eventually, so USD would just start that process now. We currently live in the OC and my husband has a job offer in the area, so UCI would work. My husband will graduate from a USC doctoral program in 2 weeks and is applying for a job at the university hospital, so USC could work.

UCD is the outlier. I've basically kept it in the mix because it is a UC, well ranked, and gave me some money. It is primarily a back-up plan at this point as it would be harder for my husband to find a job there and we don't plan on staying in that area for long.

User avatar
dswimmer
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:50 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby dswimmer » Mon May 02, 2011 3:01 pm

2tearsinabucket wrote:--ImageRemoved--


In that case, USD, but how can I pass up the others for a school going down in ranking and a shaky scholarship stipulation?!?! My head and my heart are battling this one out. (Either that, or UCLA needs to take me off the waitlist)

2tearsinabucket
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 2:36 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby 2tearsinabucket » Mon May 02, 2011 3:10 pm

dswimmer wrote:
2tearsinabucket wrote:
dswimmer wrote:
chimp wrote:So, out of curiosity, have you decided yet?



I wish...

I'm down to USC, UCD, UCI, and USD. Hopefully my husband will hear back soon about a university job that will basically make my decision for me (1/2 tuition discount).

Note: I've updated the poll to reflect this. TLSers, thanks for affirming most of my thoughts on this process and giving me alternative perspectives to consider. Please let me know what you think about these final four!


I have no idea what the career wise best option is but why don't you ask your husband which city would give him the best chance at career advancement out of the school locations you have narrowed it down to?


Any of the southern California ones would be fine. We are both from SD and plan to settle there eventually, so USD would just start that process now. We currently live in the OC and my husband has a job offer in the area, so UCI would work. My husband will graduate from a USC doctoral program in 2 weeks and is applying for a job at the university hospital, so USC could work.

UCD is the outlier. I've basically kept it in the mix because it is a UC, well ranked, and gave me some money. It is primarily a back-up plan at this point as it would be harder for my husband to find a job there and we don't plan on staying in that area for long.


Then don't go to UCD do you want to go somewhere and possibly start a family and a network of friends while already planning on moving?
Also if your heart tells you that you really really want to settle in San Diego and your decision is so close between the schools why would you not go there now and let you and your husband begin to build your lives there. A good life is so much more than just a good career its the whole package. By all means don't shoot yourself in the foot career wise but if you see these options as so close why not choose the one in your heart.

User avatar
dswimmer
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:50 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby dswimmer » Mon May 02, 2011 3:17 pm

2tearsinabucket wrote:
Then don't go to UCD do you want to go somewhere and possibly start a family and a network of friends while already planning on moving?
Also if your heart tells you that you really really want to settle in San Diego and your decision is so close between the schools why would you not go there now and let you and your husband begin to build your lives there. A good life is so much more than just a good career its the whole package. By all means don't shoot yourself in the foot career wise but if you see these options as so close why not choose the one in your heart.


I guess I'm having difficulty in determining if I see USD as rivaling USC simply because of the potential cost savings and ending up in SD right away. The debt factor has fogged my understanding exactly because, as you said, I do want a family, house, friends sometime within the next 5-10 years. Hopefully I will be able to worry less about the debt aspect and let my heart take over once my husband hears back about the USC job.

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby Lasers » Mon May 02, 2011 5:12 pm

I would say usc or usd. My advice in regards to your choice is go where you will be happiest and closest to where you want to settle after law school. Usc is still the best school. I would go there especially since the best financial choice in hastings has been removed.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest