Where should I go in CA? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go in CA?

USC: $0 aid
55%
UCI: 1/3rd tuition scholarship (renewable w/ good academic standing)
45%

Total votes: 66

bk1

Diamond

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:05 pm

Lasers wrote:I may have read it wrong but I saw it as Hastings scholly of 30-40k. Hastings may be 60k/year now but it is definitely going up.
the money is 21k total per year, i believe, meaning over 60k total. additionally, the money is renewable and based on need, which shouldn't change year to year.

usc and hastings seem like the best two options.[/quote]

With 40k from Davis and the fact that Davis overestimates their CoA I think UCH and UCD are actually comparable in cost.

If CoA is actually 120-130k at either UCD/UCH then I would definitely pick one of them over USC.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:11 pm

bk187 wrote:
With 40k from Davis and the fact that Davis overestimates their CoA I think UCH and UCD are actually comparable in cost.

If CoA is actually 120-130k at either UCD/UCH then I would definitely pick one of them over USC.
i don't see it.

davis: 39k
hastings: 63k

20k+ difference in aid. there's no way davis is even close to 20k cheaper. davis' tuition is a bit higher, and even though living is cheaper, total cost for both is about 60k per year. even if overestimated, i don't see over 20k being made up at all.

the question is, is usc 60k+ better than hastings? maybe for some, but i really don't think so at all.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:19 pm

Lasers wrote:20k+ difference in aid. there's no way davis is even close to 20k cheaper. davis' tuition is a bit higher, and even though living is cheaper, total cost for both is about 60k per year. even if overestimated, i don't see over 20k being made up at all.

the question is, is usc 60k+ better than hastings? maybe for some, but i really don't think so at all.
I bet you can easily save at least 300-400 dollars in rent/living when comparing Davis to SF. Over 3 years that amounts to over 10,000-15,000 dollars. I'm not saying that Davis is going to be cheaper than Hastings. I am saying that Davis and Hastings will be comparable in cost (at least within 10,000 of each other, if not within 5,000 or less of each other). At that level of difference, I say pick the one that you prefer.

It's not the USC is 60k or whatever better than Hastings, its that Hastings debt will be more around 120-130k which is feasible to be paid back within 10-15 years even if you get a low salary (40-60k/year). Were you to take USC at 200k debt, that debt would last at least two decades. So comparing UCH at 120k vs USC 180k, I would say UCH. But if it were something like 50k UCH vs 100k USC, I might see a reason for picking USC if one had higher aspirations.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:23 pm

bk187 wrote:
Lasers wrote:20k+ difference in aid. there's no way davis is even close to 20k cheaper. davis' tuition is a bit higher, and even though living is cheaper, total cost for both is about 60k per year. even if overestimated, i don't see over 20k being made up at all.

I bet you can easily save at least 300-400 dollars in rent/living when comparing Davis to SF. Over 3 years that amounts to over 10,000-15,000 dollars. I'm not saying that Davis is going to be cheaper than Hastings. I am saying that Davis and Hastings will be comparable in cost (at least within 10,000 of each other, if not within 5,000 or less of each other). At that level of difference, I say pick the one that you prefer.

It's not the USC is 60k or whatever better than Hastings, its that Hastings debt will be more around 120-130k which is feasible to be paid back within 10-15 years even if you get a low salary (40-60k/year). Were you to take USC at 200k debt, that debt would last at least two decades. So comparing UCH at 120k vs USC 180k, I would say UCH. But if it were something like 50k UCH vs 100k USC, I might see a reason for picking USC if one had higher aspirations.
i agree.

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:28 pm

bk187 wrote:

These are all good points, but for my specific situation, I only need to pay for the basic tuition costs and books. Therefore, in a worst case scenario, I think I will come out with about $150k in debt. Please correct me if my numbers are wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:29 pm

dswimmer wrote:These are all good points, but for my specific situation, I only need to pay for the basic tuition costs and books. Therefore, in a worst case scenario, I think I will come out with about $150k in debt. Please correct me if my numbers are wrong.
Your USC debt will be $150k because you don't have to pay for tuition/fees? Then go to USC (unless your CoL is also covered at Davis or Hastings).

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:36 pm

bk187 wrote:
dswimmer wrote:These are all good points, but for my specific situation, I only need to pay for the basic tuition costs and books. Therefore, in a worst case scenario, I think I will come out with about $150k in debt. Please correct me if my numbers are wrong.
Your USC debt will be $150k because you don't have to pay for tuition/fees? Then go to USC (unless your CoL is also covered at Davis or Hastings).
Wait. What?

I should have CoL covered w/o loans no matter where I am because I'm married and we are currently making do on one salary. I will need to find a way to pay for tuition and the academically associated expenses.

I mention this because most schools offer you loan packages based off of CoA (CoL+tuition/books/fees), but I won't need the CoL part.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:38 pm

dswimmer wrote: These are all good points, but for my specific situation, I only need to pay for the basic tuition costs and books. Therefore, in a worst case scenario, I think I will come out with about $150k in debt. Please correct me if my numbers are wrong.
if you only have to pay for tuition and books, then you're looking at only about (40k tuition+2k books/supplies = 42,000 x 3 = 126,000-60k) $70k of debt at hastings and definitely under $150k at usc.

the decision is still up to you. i would still go hastings because that debt would be so much more manageable.

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:45 pm

Lasers wrote:
dswimmer wrote: These are all good points, but for my specific situation, I only need to pay for the basic tuition costs and books. Therefore, in a worst case scenario, I think I will come out with about $150k in debt. Please correct me if my numbers are wrong.
if you only have to pay for tuition and books, then you're looking at only about (40k tuition+2k books/supplies = 42,000 x 3 = 126,000-60k) $70k of debt at hastings and definitely under $150k at usc.

the decision is still up to you. i would still go hastings because that debt would be so much more manageable.
Ok. I just wanted to make sure we are on the same page. :) Your figures are basically the same as mine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:49 pm

dswimmer wrote:Wait. What?

I should have CoL covered w/o loans no matter where I am because I'm married and we are currently making do on one salary. I will need to find a way to pay for tuition and the academically associated expenses.

I mention this because most schools offer you loan packages based off of CoA (CoL+tuition/books/fees), but I won't need the CoL part.
My bad, I must have glossed over that part. Disregard my previous advice since it doesn't make any sense. :P

If this is true, I'd probably lean towards either Hastings or USC and agree with the math done by lasers. With the help of your spouse you can probably pay down USC debt in 10 years even in the worst case scenario (50k/year small firm job), though you could be debt free much faster from Hastings. But my point is that 150k at USC isn't that bad for you.

Hastings can definitely get you SoCal. The question is whether paying the extra 80k is worth it for you. If you are gunning for biglaw or anything with higher prestige, I'd say go to USC.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:49 pm

Stanford.

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:59 pm

Veyron wrote:Stanford.
Thanks. I wish my LSAT score had made that an option, but I figured that it wasn't worth the application cost to get an immediate rejection.

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:11 pm

Does anyone have a perspective on Davis?

I'm really disappointed with them right now because I can never get through to their admissions office and no one responds to my emails. The deposit deadline is tomorrow (and so is UCI's, Chapman's, and Pepperdine's).

My plan is to deposit at UCD and do the SIR at UCI (thank goodness it's free).

Based on responses so far and my own gut feelings, Pepperdine and Chapman are out. (I will delete them from the poll after the deadline passes tomorrow.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:43 am

oh no! I tried to edit the poll to delete Pepperdine and Chapman (the seat deposit date has passed for both), but it erased all of my data on votes! Please recast!

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:57 am

at usd you don't completely lose your scholarship, right? My guess is that it only gets reduced if you don't make the stip. That still gives you a good deal of money. If what you want is SD then I'd say it is pretty much between USD and USC. If I were you I'd go with USC just so that the LA market is open too. From what I've heard from various people working in the SD market hiring there goes like this: t10>t14+UCLA>USC>USD and then you're pretty close to out of luck after that

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:36 am

Whichever school you like the best.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:38 am

Enjoy being a Trojan. I did for my undergraduate studies.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:08 am

still the same two choices, imo: hastings or usc.

usd 30k is nice, but the stip scares me, and 20k from hastings is pretty much renewable each year. plus, hastings can get you socal from all accounts, and it's obviously got strong ties to the bay area.

usc is probably the best school here, but as said earlier, you'd have over over 100k in debt.

amissionsix

New

Post by amissionsix » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:08 pm

Sounds like I am in almost the same situation, except that I want to practice in San Francisco. I'm from LA and living/working in San Diego right now. Decision was USC ($0), Hastings ($63K), and USD ($90K). And the Hastings $$ doesn't have any ranking stips. Because I want to be in the Bay Area I picked Hastings, but if you want to be in SoCal I would definitely go to USC. If you are 100% committed to San Diego USD can be a solid choice if you do well, but USC will open many more doors.

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:16 pm

amissionsix wrote:Sounds like I am in almost the same situation, except that I want to practice in San Francisco. I'm from LA and living/working in San Diego right now. Decision was USC ($0), Hastings ($63K), and USD ($90K). And the Hastings $$ doesn't have any ranking stips. Because I want to be in the Bay Area I picked Hastings, but if you want to be in SoCal I would definitely go to USC. If you are 100% committed to San Diego USD can be a solid choice if you do well, but USC will open many more doors.
Wow. We really are opposites! In your case, I definitely agree that Hastings is probably your best option, especially since all you have to do is continue demonstrating need, which shouldn't change. USC could also get you there, but it would be much more expensive. Was finances/location your primary deciding factors?

I've toured and extensively researched USC, but something isn't clicking. I fear that I am making myself dislike it because I can't swallow being that far in debt. Surprisingly, I really liked USD when I toured there, but I don't like having to risk my scholarship on class ranking. I work hard, but I'm not so self-assured that I am willing to bet $60,000 of additional debt for its prospects if I lose it.

My husband is applying for a job at USC that will give me tuition benefits. If he gets it, my decision will likely be made for me. Hopefully at that time I can reassess USC in a more favorable light.

Either way, I feel somewhat comfortable.

amissionsix

New

Post by amissionsix » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:19 pm

For me it was more of a "where do I want to live/work/play" decision. The $$$ helped, but wasn't the primary factor. I'm not sure where you're from or living now, but having to live in Los Angeles is worthy of some thought. I'm from the area and can't stand the sprawl and traffic. And thinking long term, if in LA I would most likely be working in a firm in either Downtown or Century City, with little to no public transportation from the neighborhoods that I would want to live in. LA is a super fun place to live, don't get me wrong, but it's just not the life I want.

San Francisco, by contrast, is extremely walkable (or a quick bus ride), with everything within 7 square miles. Up there I'll probably either work in the financial district or in Palo Alto, and could live in the city in either case. I love the urban environment up there (probably up until I have kids) and just feel that I'll enjoy my time in law school much more.

So it was 100% a personal decision. Both schools are great. Both cities have a ton going on. It just really depends on where you want to live during law school and what school will give you the best chance to have a job in the city you want.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:23 pm

amissionsix wrote:For me it was more of a "where do I want to live/work/play" decision. The $$$ helped, but wasn't the primary factor. I'm not sure where you're from or living now, but having to live in Los Angeles is worthy of some thought. I'm from the area and can't stand the sprawl and traffic. And thinking long term, if in LA I would most likely be working in a firm in either Downtown or Century City, with little to no public transportation from the neighborhoods that I would want to live in. LA is a super fun place to live, don't get me wrong, but it's just not the life I want.

San Francisco, by contrast, is extremely walkable (or a quick bus ride), with everything within 7 square miles. Up there I'll probably either work in the financial district or in Palo Alto, and could live in the city in either case. I love the urban environment up there (probably up until I have kids) and just feel that I'll enjoy my time in law school much more.

So it was 100% a personal decision. Both schools are great. Both cities have a ton going on. It just really depends on where you want to live during law school and what school will give you the best chance to have a job in the city you want.
I'm from SD, but I live in Irvine right now and went to school in LA County. The only place I really don't want to be is the OC. I think I would be happy in LA since I'm somewhat familiar with the area and all of my college friends have settled nearby. SD, on the other hand, has all of my family and is where I would like to settle. So, it's kind of a wash...

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:24 pm

I would do USC or USD.

EDIT: With the caveat that I would probably drop out of USD if I couldn't keep the scholarship.

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:44 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:I would do USC or USD.

EDIT: With the caveat that I would probably drop out of USD if I couldn't keep the scholarship.
This is exactly where I am at right now.

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:55 pm

Once again, the poll options might be changing soon since Hastings just decreased my financial aid package...can they even do that once its been offered?!?! If this doesn't get resolved, I feel like that is reason enough to turn them down.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to hold them to their first offer? Before this even happened, I called the admissions office to make sure that the scholarship wouldn't affect the grant (I got the scholarship later than the grant) and I was told that it would not affect it! Now, I'm feeling cheated...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”