Where should I go in CA?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go in CA?

USC: $0 aid
36
55%
UCI: 1/3rd tuition scholarship (renewable w/ good academic standing)
30
45%
 
Total votes: 66

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby bk1 » Tue May 24, 2011 4:11 pm

Curry wrote:Will you marry me?


I wish I could.

Image

:(

Curry

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby Curry » Tue May 24, 2011 4:12 pm

bk1 wrote:
Curry wrote:Will you marry me?


I wish I could.

Image

:(

We'll go to Mass. Para will wed us. BJS can be the witness.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby bjsesq » Tue May 24, 2011 4:12 pm

Curry wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
chimp wrote:
bjsesq wrote:No school outside of the T6 is worth sticker. USC doesn't place well enough to justify that cost. I'd go with UCI.


Different schools are worth sticker to different people. However, it doesn't appear that USC would be worth sticker to OP.


Subjective worth=objectively stupid for most schools when it's at sticker.

UCI hasn't had a class go through an OCI yet.


You may be right that I didn't pay enough attention to the actual cost difference between UCI and USC to answer the way I did, but c'mon, USC at full boat?

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby 071816 » Tue May 24, 2011 4:12 pm

bjsesq wrote:
chimp wrote:
bjsesq wrote:No school outside of the T6 is worth sticker. USC doesn't place well enough to justify that cost. I'd go with UCI.


Different schools are worth sticker to different people. However, it doesn't appear that USC would be worth sticker to OP.


Subjective worth=objectively stupid for most schools when it's at sticker.


A top 20 school is worth sticker to many people. Maybe even some other T1s. I would say that no T2 or below is worth sticker though unless the school is the best school in a certain region and places well in that region.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby bjsesq » Tue May 24, 2011 4:13 pm

chimp wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
chimp wrote:
bjsesq wrote:No school outside of the T6 is worth sticker. USC doesn't place well enough to justify that cost. I'd go with UCI.


Different schools are worth sticker to different people. However, it doesn't appear that USC would be worth sticker to OP.


Subjective worth=objectively stupid for most schools when it's at sticker.


A top 20 school is worth sticker to many people. Maybe even some other T1s. I would say that no T2 or below is worth sticker though unless the school is the best school in a certain region and places well in that region.


What about USC's placement indicates to you that paying full cost is a good investment?

Curry

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby Curry » Tue May 24, 2011 4:14 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Curry wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Subjective worth=objectively stupid for most schools when it's at sticker.

UCI hasn't had a class go through an OCI yet.


You may be right that I didn't pay enough attention to the actual cost difference between UCI and USC to answer the way I did, but c'mon, USC at full boat?

I wouldn't pull the trigger either but its a better option than UCI at 120k or whatever it was.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby bjsesq » Tue May 24, 2011 4:15 pm

Curry wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Curry wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Subjective worth=objectively stupid for most schools when it's at sticker.

UCI hasn't had a class go through an OCI yet.


You may be right that I didn't pay enough attention to the actual cost difference between UCI and USC to answer the way I did, but c'mon, USC at full boat?

I wouldn't pull the trigger either but its a better option than UCI at 120k or whatever it was.


So is a rectal examnation by yours truly.

Curry

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby Curry » Tue May 24, 2011 4:16 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Curry wrote:I wouldn't pull the trigger either but its a better option than UCI at 120k or whatever it was.


So is a rectal examnation by yours truly.

Now thats something I'd pull the trigger on.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby bk1 » Tue May 24, 2011 4:18 pm

Curry wrote:I wouldn't pull the trigger either but its a better option than UCI at 120k or whatever it was.


Eh, I'd actually take UCI at 120k over USC at 200k. But UCI at 160k? USC at 200k is easily better than UCI at 160k.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby 071816 » Tue May 24, 2011 4:23 pm

bjsesq wrote:What about USC's placement indicates to you that paying full cost is a good investment?


I never said that it is a good investment for everyone. Depending on one's personal financial situation, career goals, and philosophy about risk/debt aversion USC can be worth the investment. How would you objectively measure whether a school at full tuition is "worth it" anyway?

Curry

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby Curry » Tue May 24, 2011 4:24 pm

chimp wrote:
bjsesq wrote:What about USC's placement indicates to you that paying full cost is a good investment?


I never said that it is a good investment for everyone. Depending on one's personal financial situation, career goals, and philosophy about risk/debt aversion USC can be worth the investment. How would you objectively measure whether a school at full tuition is "worth it" anyway?

By its job placement statistics. Just because something can be subjective doesn't mean the idiocy that follows it isn't retarded

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby bjsesq » Tue May 24, 2011 4:25 pm

chimp wrote:
bjsesq wrote:What about USC's placement indicates to you that paying full cost is a good investment?


I never said that it is a good investment for everyone. Depending on one's personal financial situation, career goals, and philosophy about risk/debt aversion USC can be worth the investment. How would you objectively measure whether a school at full tuition is "worth it" anyway?


Job placement. Period. It's a professional school, so there is no other meaningful criterion for me. And how is a person's "philosophy" about debt at all meaningful? They either have a good shot at a job after having spent a fuckload of cash, or they don't.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby 071816 » Tue May 24, 2011 4:33 pm

bjsesq wrote:
chimp wrote:
bjsesq wrote:What about USC's placement indicates to you that paying full cost is a good investment?


I never said that it is a good investment for everyone. Depending on one's personal financial situation, career goals, and philosophy about risk/debt aversion USC can be worth the investment. How would you objectively measure whether a school at full tuition is "worth it" anyway?


Job placement. Period. It's a professional school, so there is no other meaningful criterion for me. And how is a person's "philosophy" about debt at all meaningful? They either have a good shot at a job after having spent a fuckload of cash, or they don't.


What type of job though? If your ONLY goal is biglaw then I can see how your philosophy makes sense. Otherwise, it is a bit extreme to say the least. But I realize I am not going to change your mind here and I do not intend to try.


Full-Time/Part-Time Employment
Image

but according to this USC places around 90% of people into jobs. 80% full time. This means you will likely not find anything if you are either at the very bottom of the class, fail to network well, or both. Especially if you want to be in LA, USC CAN be worth your while at sticker.

Curry

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby Curry » Tue May 24, 2011 4:34 pm

chimp wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
chimp wrote:
bjsesq wrote:What about USC's placement indicates to you that paying full cost is a good investment?


I never said that it is a good investment for everyone. Depending on one's personal financial situation, career goals, and philosophy about risk/debt aversion USC can be worth the investment. How would you objectively measure whether a school at full tuition is "worth it" anyway?


Job placement. Period. It's a professional school, so there is no other meaningful criterion for me. And how is a person's "philosophy" about debt at all meaningful? They either have a good shot at a job after having spent a fuckload of cash, or they don't.


What type of job though? If your ONLY goal is biglaw then I can see how your philosophy makes sense. Otherwise, it is a bit extreme to say the least. But I realize I am not going to change your mind here and I do not intend to try.


Full-Time/Part-Time Employment
Image

but according to this USC places around 90% of people into jobs. 80% full time. This means you will likely not find anything if you are either at the very bottom of the class, fail to network well, or both. Especially if you want to be in LA, USC CAN be worth your while at sticker.

80% of the full time jobs include working at starbucks as baristas and the huge chunk of people working for firms like lasuperlawyers.com where they make 40k a year without being able to cash in on LRAP. 200k in debt on a 40k salary is NOT fun.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby bjsesq » Tue May 24, 2011 4:35 pm

Beat me to a fucking post ONE MORE TIME Curry. Swear to god.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby 071816 » Tue May 24, 2011 4:39 pm

I see your point. But by your logic, then how can one be sure that any school is ever worth the investment? I still say that if one intends to work in LA USC or UCLA can be worth sticker. Don't get me wrong though, it is a gamble. But so is just about anything in life and it's a risk that may be worth taking if USC sticker is your best option.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby bjsesq » Tue May 24, 2011 4:41 pm

chimp wrote:I see your point. But by your logic, then how can one be sure that any school is ever worth the investment? I still say that if one intends to work in LA USC or UCLA can be worth sticker. Don't get me wrong though, it is a gamble. But so is just about anything in life and it's a risk that may be worth taking if USC sticker is your best option.


There is a significant amount of info on TLS about how classes at different schools are placing, as well as outside info regarding placement into NLJ 250 firms. Both are great starting points.

Curry

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby Curry » Tue May 24, 2011 4:42 pm

bjsesq wrote:
chimp wrote:I see your point. But by your logic, then how can one be sure that any school is ever worth the investment? I still say that if one intends to work in LA USC or UCLA can be worth sticker. Don't get me wrong though, it is a gamble. But so is just about anything in life and it's a risk that may be worth taking if USC sticker is your best option.


There is a significant amount of info on TLS about how classes at different schools are placing, as well as outside info regarding placement into NLJ 250 firms. Both are great starting points.

I let you have that one.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby bjsesq » Tue May 24, 2011 4:42 pm

Curry wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
chimp wrote:I see your point. But by your logic, then how can one be sure that any school is ever worth the investment? I still say that if one intends to work in LA USC or UCLA can be worth sticker. Don't get me wrong though, it is a gamble. But so is just about anything in life and it's a risk that may be worth taking if USC sticker is your best option.


There is a significant amount of info on TLS about how classes at different schools are placing, as well as outside info regarding placement into NLJ 250 firms. Both are great starting points.

I let you have that one.


Much appreciated.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby 071816 » Tue May 24, 2011 4:43 pm

bjsesq wrote:
chimp wrote:I see your point. But by your logic, then how can one be sure that any school is ever worth the investment? I still say that if one intends to work in LA USC or UCLA can be worth sticker. Don't get me wrong though, it is a gamble. But so is just about anything in life and it's a risk that may be worth taking if USC sticker is your best option.


There is a significant amount of info on TLS about how classes at different schools are placing, as well as outside info regarding placement into NLJ 250 firms. Both are great starting points.


Significant amount of info? All I have seen is info. regarding biglaw placement really.

Curry

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby Curry » Tue May 24, 2011 4:44 pm

chimp wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
chimp wrote:I see your point. But by your logic, then how can one be sure that any school is ever worth the investment? I still say that if one intends to work in LA USC or UCLA can be worth sticker. Don't get me wrong though, it is a gamble. But so is just about anything in life and it's a risk that may be worth taking if USC sticker is your best option.


There is a significant amount of info on TLS about how classes at different schools are placing, as well as outside info regarding placement into NLJ 250 firms. Both are great starting points.


Significant amount of info? All I have seen is info. regarding biglaw placement really.

Read the employment forum.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby 071816 » Tue May 24, 2011 4:47 pm

Curry wrote:
chimp wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
chimp wrote:I see your point. But by your logic, then how can one be sure that any school is ever worth the investment? I still say that if one intends to work in LA USC or UCLA can be worth sticker. Don't get me wrong though, it is a gamble. But so is just about anything in life and it's a risk that may be worth taking if USC sticker is your best option.


There is a significant amount of info on TLS about how classes at different schools are placing, as well as outside info regarding placement into NLJ 250 firms. Both are great starting points.


Significant amount of info? All I have seen is info. regarding biglaw placement really.

Read the employment forum.


Nevermind

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby 071816 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:00 pm

I am still curious as to specifically how you guys determine what schools are worth sticker. Like for bjsesq, how did you come up with top 6 only being worth sticker? Michigan isn't worth sticker? LOL why so specific? I am honestly curious as to how you arrived at this...

Curry

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby Curry » Tue May 24, 2011 5:02 pm

chimp wrote:I am still curious as to specifically how you guys determine what schools are worth sticker. Like for bjsesq, how did you come up with top 6 only being worth sticker? Michigan isn't worth sticker? LOL why so specific? I am honestly curious as to how you arrived at this...

Read the employment forum.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Postby 071816 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:06 pm

Curry wrote:
chimp wrote:I am still curious as to specifically how you guys determine what schools are worth sticker. Like for bjsesq, how did you come up with top 6 only being worth sticker? Michigan isn't worth sticker? LOL why so specific? I am honestly curious as to how you arrived at this...

Read the employment forum.


Seriously man? What a cop out. "Read the employment forum" cannot be your default answer when I am asking you a very specific question. USC is always in the top 20 of placement at NLJ250 firms. While I realize you have very high standards, is it really too much to ask that you elaborate a little?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests