Where should I go in CA? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go in CA?

USC: $0 aid
55%
UCI: 1/3rd tuition scholarship (renewable w/ good academic standing)
45%

Total votes: 66

Curry

Re: Where should I go in CA?

Post by Curry » Tue May 24, 2011 5:08 pm

chimp wrote:
Curry wrote:
chimp wrote:I am still curious as to specifically how you guys determine what schools are worth sticker. Like for bjsesq, how did you come up with top 6 only being worth sticker? Michigan isn't worth sticker? LOL why so specific? I am honestly curious as to how you arrived at this...
Read the employment forum.
Seriously man? What a cop out. "Read the employment forum" cannot be your default answer when I am asking you a very specific question. USC is always in the top 20 of placement at NLJ250 firms. While I realize you have very high standards, is it really too much to ask that you elaborate a little?
What do you want me to tell you? There is a 7/10 chance you don't get biglaw from USC. If you aren't getting biglaw, you aren't clerking for an article III judge and you're shut out of most prestigious PI jobs. That leaves you with low paying government work where you're dependent on LRAP and USC's LRAP isn't very good or you're stuck in 200k of debt doing shitlaw.

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Tue May 24, 2011 5:11 pm

chimp wrote:I think it's time for you to bite the bullet and just make the decision for yourself. This thread may have outlived its usefulness.
I don't disagree with you. I am just am using this to validate my opinions. If you don't care, then don't respond...

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:14 pm

Curry wrote:
chimp wrote:
Curry wrote:
chimp wrote:I am still curious as to specifically how you guys determine what schools are worth sticker. Like for bjsesq, how did you come up with top 6 only being worth sticker? Michigan isn't worth sticker? LOL why so specific? I am honestly curious as to how you arrived at this...
Read the employment forum.
Seriously man? What a cop out. "Read the employment forum" cannot be your default answer when I am asking you a very specific question. USC is always in the top 20 of placement at NLJ250 firms. While I realize you have very high standards, is it really too much to ask that you elaborate a little?
What do you want me to tell you? There is a 7/10 chance you don't get biglaw from USC. If you aren't getting biglaw, you aren't clerking for an article III judge and you're shut out of most prestigious PI jobs. That leaves you with low paying government work where you're dependent on LRAP and USC's LRAP isn't very good or you're stuck in 200k of debt doing shitlaw.
It would be more like 4/10 chance you could get biglaw if the economy would pick up a little. I mean a place like NYU is only a 50/50 shot of biglaw. So NYU is not worth it either? And how do we know how much of this is self selection?
Last edited by 071816 on Tue May 24, 2011 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:15 pm

dswimmer wrote:
chimp wrote:I think it's time for you to bite the bullet and just make the decision for yourself. This thread may have outlived its usefulness.
I don't disagree with you. I am just am using this to validate my opinions. If you don't care, then don't respond...
Sorry. I didn't mean to come off as an asshole. I just don't know how much more info people can provide. What would you pick if you had to pick right now?

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Tue May 24, 2011 5:27 pm

chimp wrote:
dswimmer wrote:
Sorry. I didn't mean to come off as an asshole. I just don't know how much more info people can provide. What would you pick if you had to pick right now?
It's ok. It's just that I know that this has been going on for awhile and I'm just, if not more, frustrated about it than anyone. I have so much going on in my life that is in flux and I would love to have one thing actually finalized, but it's difficult to take the jump. So, yes, the poll gives me something to do to pass the time and make myself feel better about my stalling. I didn't mean to jump either...sorry.

To your question:

UCI because we already have housing nearby and my husband has a job offer nearby and it will be around 20k/yr cheaper.

I don't like the idea of USC's cost or the snobbery I've received from its admission staff. I've kept it around because of its ranking and network, but I don't think 50k/yr is worth it. My husband is applying for a university job, which would give me 50 percent tuition benefits, but we don't know if he has the job yet. I'm keeping USC around until we find out about the job. If he gets it, I'll deal with the snobbery. If he doesn't, I don't think I would want it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:40 pm

dswimmer wrote:UCI because we already have housing nearby and my husband has a job offer nearby and it will be around 20k/yr cheaper.
Then I'm changing my answer to UCI.

UCI, once you factor in the scholarship and the 20k/year savings due to already having housing, will probably cost you around $100k which is about half the price of USC. Add on the intangible benefits of your husband already having a job offer nearby plus your dislike of USC and I think this a slamdunk for UCI.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:45 pm

bk187 wrote:
dswimmer wrote:UCI because we already have housing nearby and my husband has a job offer nearby and it will be around 20k/yr cheaper.
Then I'm changing my answer to UCI.

UCI, once you factor in the scholarship and the 20k/year savings due to already having housing, will probably cost you around $100k which is about half the price of USC. Add on the intangible benefits of your husband already having a job offer nearby plus your dislike of USC and I think this a slamdunk for UCI.
Yea I agree with bk actually.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:29 pm

So where you putting down your second deposit?

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:21 pm

chimp wrote:So where you putting down your second deposit?
:oops:

Hubby still hasn't heard anything definite about the job, but the second deposit for USC isn't until July 1 and the partial refund is June 11, so I still have time. I just got my guaranteed housing assignment for UCI to move in by the end of the month and I have to sign the lease by June 15. More and more, UCI is appealing to me, but I'm pretty sure I would regret not going to USC if it became financially equal to UCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ensign85

Bronze

Post by ensign85 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:30 pm

Any news?

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:36 pm

ensign85 wrote:Any news?
Actually yes. :)

My husband was offered the USC job on Wednesday of last week, so USC is finally affordable and I will be a Trojan. We also have been driving up to LA every weekend for the past month looking for housing "just in case" and so that is all taken care of now, too. Yay for decisions!

Now, we're headed off on a much needed de-stress vacation.

Thanks everyone for putting up with my crazy indecisiveness :)

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:38 pm

Congrats. 50% off tuition is pretty sweet compared to the sticker you were considering before.

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:41 pm

congrats, that's awesome for you guys.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ensign85

Bronze

Post by ensign85 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:03 am

Wow, congratulations!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”