Loyola vs. DePaul vs. Marquette

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

I should attend

Loyola with a 15K/yr scholarship
33%
DePaul with a 20K/yr scholarship
8%
Marquette with a 27K/yr scholarship
58%

Total votes: 12

ash8309

Loyola vs. DePaul vs. Marquette

Postby ash8309 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:47 pm

I know this has been done several times, but have to do it. Loyola has given me 15K a year, DePaul has given me 20K a year, and Marquette has given me 27K a year. I would love to live and practice in Chicago but could do Marquette (BF of five years from there, a lot of family there). The debt is scaring me. I want to do PI/gov. Thank you all!

lukebyalibi

Re: Loyola vs. DePaul vs. Marquette

Postby lukebyalibi » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:53 pm

I would say if your heart is set on Chicago then take Marquette off the list for sure! If you are strictly looking at minimizing debt however and do not mind staying in Miltown, then go for Marquette 27k a year from them is quite well considering Marquette appears to be rather stingy with scholly money! Plus COL is way cheap in Milwaukee, and Marquette is the only school in Milwaukee.

Loyola Chicago, and Depaul are way to much of a risk in my opinion

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:01 pm

I have all those options and I'm picking Loyola.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:27 pm

None of those options are great for Chicago but if retaking isn't an option and you HAVE to work in Chicago no matter what then I guess Loyola.

ash8309

Postby ash8309 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:38 pm

Thanks to both for your feedback. What is the Loyola over DePaul notion based on? I toured both facilities and really don't mind either. Is it academics-based?

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:49 pm

Loyola simply has better placement and is better respected than DePaul. DePaul has a solid alum network, but that won't help as much as people think ITE in a market like that with that type of competition. Plus DePaul generally have crazy stips on their scholarships.

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:52 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Loyola simply has better placement and is better respected than DePaul. DePaul has a solid alum network, but that won't help as much as people think ITE in a market like that with that type of competition. Plus DePaul generally have crazy stips on their scholarships.

this. you may think that you are better off financially at DePaul but between the stips and the $41k tuition price :shock: :shock:, you really end up paying more for a lower ranked school with worse facilities.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”