Syracuse Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mediation_86

New

Syracuse Law

Post by mediation_86 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:09 pm

Hey all,

I was wondering how far can one travel, in terms of national job placements, with a law degree from Syracuse? I'm from CA and would want to come back to work close to home. Also, how is the overall quality of this school? Would it be better to attend a T4 that is in the region I want to work in or go to Syracuse?

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Re: Syracuse Law

Post by tourdeforcex » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:51 pm

check out their site or call them up to ask what kind of geographic placement they have. i wouldn't imagine that there is a strong network in CA, but there might be.

if you're definitely set on going back to CA after LS, it might be better to attend a T4 in the region.

caleb1717

New

Post by caleb1717 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:15 pm

I attended the ASD this past Friday and one of the speakers mentioned that CA has the second largest contigent of students attending the school - seems they cast a pretty wide net in terms of job placements - the program was terrific - vibe of the school was appealing and current students who I spoke with seem genuinely happy and many had jobs/internships lined up for the summer (including one 2L at the DA's office in LA) - sent in my deposit today! (going to do a dual degree program with a MPA).

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:15 pm

Retake

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:25 pm

caleb1717 wrote:I attended the ASD this past Friday and one of the speakers mentioned that CA has the second largest contigent of students attending the school - seems they cast a pretty wide net in terms of job placements - the program was terrific - vibe of the school was appealing and current students who I spoke with seem genuinely happy and many had jobs/internships lined up for the summer (including one 2L at the DA's office in LA) - sent in my deposit today! (going to do a dual degree program with a MPA).
Any Syracuse posters want to confirm these statements / optimism?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:03 pm

going to Syracuse from CA. yikes! good luck with the weather.

DwightSchruteFarms

Bronze

Post by DwightSchruteFarms » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:06 pm

Don't listen to what the school says. You will likely not get a job in CA from Syracuse unless you have some connections. Syracuse struggles to place in the NYC market, let alone anything outside.

enron123

Bronze

Post by enron123 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:09 pm

You can be second in line for the Presidency

mediation_86

New

Post by mediation_86 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:32 pm

If I have 1/2 tuition grants to Syracuse Law, is the school worth it?

Also, would attending a T4(1/2 scholarship) in the region you want to work in be a smarter move?

Grants would be set for the whole 3 years while scholarships have stipulations so the T4 may be more of a risk. I also want to attain a jd/mba, and Syracuse is known for MBAs.

But I want to work in CA after graduating, so what would be the best move?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IronHBM

New

Post by IronHBM » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:25 pm

I wouldn't recommend going to a bottom T2 in NY in order to work in California. If your goal was to work in NY, than Syracuse would be an option if that's the only school you could get into in the area, other than a t30 elsewhere.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:55 pm

I wouldn't go to Syracuse thinking that you'll be able to land something in CA.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=157037

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:16 pm

tourdeforcex wrote:check out their site or call them up to ask what kind of geographic placement they have. i wouldn't imagine that there is a strong network in CA, but there might be.

if you're definitely set on going back to CA after LS, it might be better to attend a T4 in the region.
caleb1717 wrote:I attended the ASD this past Friday and one of the speakers mentioned that CA has the second largest contigent of students attending the school - seems they cast a pretty wide net in terms of job placements - the program was terrific - vibe of the school was appealing and current students who I spoke with seem genuinely happy and many had jobs/internships lined up for the summer (including one 2L at the DA's office in LA) - sent in my deposit today! (going to do a dual degree program with a MPA).
Neither of these are good advice. The short and long answer is that Syracuse doesnt place in CA. Dont go there if thats your hope. And the weather is miz. Dont go at all.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:21 pm

Just to echo what some others have said....don't go to Syracuse if you wanna work anywhere but upstate NY.
If you want to work in CA, go to school in CA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:49 pm

Lol $5 says LA DA isn't hiring due to budget cuts. Retake or don't go if you want Cali.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:50 pm

rad law wrote:Lol $5 says LA DA isn't hiring due to budget cuts. Retake or don't go if you want Cali.
The jobless top 25% Boalt 3L is adamant that any Cali PD spot is next to if not impossible, I'd imagine DA would be even more difficult (or maybe it's the DA he was talking about?)

mikeditkaisgod

New

Post by mikeditkaisgod » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:50 pm

rad law wrote:Lol $5 says LA DA isn't hiring due to budget cuts. Retake or don't go if you want Cali.
Where do you go to school at?

bogart

Bronze

Post by bogart » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:20 am

I would strongly recomend going to a california school. While it is true that the school has an abundance of cali kids, this does not mean that all of these students will get jobs there. The school does place more nationally than its ranking would indicate but it is still a far cry from the guaranteed national reach of the top schools. I think too many students confuse the undergrad with the law school in terms of national placement. With so many schools in california to choose from why not just stay there? Good luck to you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mediation_86

New

Post by mediation_86 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:18 pm

bogart wrote:I would strongly recomend going to a california school. While it is true that the school has an abundance of cali kids, this does not mean that all of these students will get jobs there. The school does place more nationally than its ranking would indicate but it is still a far cry from the guaranteed national reach of the top schools. I think too many students confuse the undergrad with the law school in terms of national placement. With so many schools in california to choose from why not just stay there? Good luck to you.
Well, the grants for Syracuse do not have stipulations, while the T4 school scholarship money does. Also, I am thinking that Syracuse's name would carry nationally, especially if it is a JD/MBA, but I guess you all are saying otherwise.

Ultimately, is the risk of losing scholarship money and being at a T4 school (wanted region) worth it over a T2 school (unwanted region) with guaranteed grants?

bogart

Bronze

Post by bogart » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:52 am

Losing scholarship money is always a very real concern and you are wise to not take it lightly. As for the choice of schools your situation is a tough one. For me, going to school in my desired city/region is invaluable as it has opened up many opportunities to become part of the legal community. This "networking" is a key aspect of success at any law school let alone ones that are not ranked in the t14. I think the most important thing to do is to find out how respected the local t4 is in your community. Some t4 schools are jokes that only care about taking money from their students. Others carry legit reputations in their communities. Always remember that employers do not care about the usnews rankings and many are unaware that they exist, particularily at the mid, small level of practice, which is most likely where you will be working coming out of these schools. Finally, while the money at cuse is nice and the mba program is solid, there is no certainty that you will get back to cali. Cuse is really best for upstate, jersey, PA and some new eng. I suppose my final answer is to go with the t4 and start hustling for jobs immediately. Remember, people hire who they know and like. Best of luck to you.

pacers3177

New

Post by pacers3177 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:47 pm

bogart wrote:Losing scholarship money is always a very real concern and you are wise to not take it lightly. As for the choice of schools your situation is a tough one. For me, going to school in my desired city/region is invaluable as it has opened up many opportunities to become part of the legal community. This "networking" is a key aspect of success at any law school let alone ones that are not ranked in the t14. I think the most important thing to do is to find out how respected the local t4 is in your community. Some t4 schools are jokes that only care about taking money from their students. Others carry legit reputations in their communities. Always remember that employers do not care about the usnews rankings and many are unaware that they exist, particularily at the mid, small level of practice, which is most likely where you will be working coming out of these schools. Finally, while the money at cuse is nice and the mba program is solid, there is no certainty that you will get back to cali. Cuse is really best for upstate, jersey, PA and some new eng. I suppose my final answer is to go with the t4 and start hustling for jobs immediately. Remember, people hire who they know and like. Best of luck to you.
Exactly. There is a big difference between schools like Duquesne, Widener, and Dayton vs. Thomas Jefferson and Barry.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”