Yale and Harvard (Living halfway between NH and Boston)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Titoortiz

Yale and Harvard (Living halfway between NH and Boston)

Postby Titoortiz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:07 pm

I was accepted to Yale and my partner to Harvard. We want to live together during law school and are trying to find a place in the middle. Do you guys think it's possible? Any suggestions on where would be a good place (assume money is not a big concern)?

So far, the only option I found is living in Rhode island. That way I can take the express train and my partner can commute to boston via train and subway.

redsoxfan2495

Re: Yale and Harvard (Living halfway between NH and Boston)

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:45 pm

Whereabouts in RI? You guys could both be looking at several hours in a car/ train per day.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:47 pm

first i hate you both... second that will be a BRUTAL commute every day

Edit: or if its really love.. the one who got into Yale could lower themselves to the unthinkable Harvard

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:49 pm

My best guess is that two transfer apps are in your future.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:53 pm

Providence to Cambridge isn't so, so terrible (commuter rail to Red Line at South Station), but Providence to New Haven sounds ridiculous. Are you going to take the Acela back and forth every day?

Edit: If money's not a concern, I think the right move is that you each get a place near your respective school and then spend weekends together. They're close enough for an every-other-weekend schedule to be pretty reasonable.
Last edited by dixiecupdrinking on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verity

Postby Verity » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:54 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:My best guess is that two one transfer apps are is in your future.

I'm tempted to call flame on this one. Aren't you two smart enough to realize the obvious choices here? And if this is such a burning dilemma for two butt-buddies that can't live apart, then why the heck are you asking a bunch of complete strangers for advice on your love life? The choices are simple: live apart, transfer or choose a different school to be together, or commute for hours every day. Nobody here is going to be able to judge your situation.

Titoortiz

Postby Titoortiz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:10 pm

redsoxfan2495 wrote:Whereabouts in RI? You guys could both be looking at several hours in a car/ train per day.

Providence.

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Providence to Cambridge isn't so, so terrible (commuter rail to Red Line at South Station), but Providence to New Haven sounds ridiculous. Are you going to take the Acela back and forth every day?

Edit: If money's not a concern, I think the right move is that you each get a place near your respective school and then spend weekends together. They're close enough for an every-other-weekend schedule to be pretty reasonable.

Yes that's the plan-taking the Acela everyday.

CanadianWolf wrote:My best guess is that two transfer apps are in your future.

My partner is on the waiting list for yale but there is not much chance... I didn't get into Harvard.

Thanks everyone for your inputs

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:12 pm

Titoortiz wrote:
redsoxfan2495 wrote:Whereabouts in RI? You guys could both be looking at several hours in a car/ train per day.

Providence.

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Providence to Cambridge isn't so, so terrible (commuter rail to Red Line at South Station), but Providence to New Haven sounds ridiculous. Are you going to take the Acela back and forth every day?

Yes that's the plan-taking the Acela everyday.

CanadianWolf wrote:My best guess is that two transfer apps are in your future.

My partner is on the waiting list for yale but there is not much chance... I didn't get into Harvard.

Thanks everyone for your inputs

Were you straight rejected for Harvard? If not, I would email Harvard a LOCI explaining your situation and acceptance and see if you can get an acceptance or get in off the waitlist.

Titoortiz

Postby Titoortiz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:20 pm

Knock wrote:
Were you straight rejected for Harvard? If not, I would email Harvard a LOCI explaining your situation and acceptance and see if you can get an acceptance or get in off the waitlist.

I was straight reject. I doubt that LOCI will make any difference in my case.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:24 pm

Titoortiz wrote:
Knock wrote:

I was straight reject. I doubt that LOCI will make any difference in my case.

Ah yeah. Congrats on getting into Yale though. I think you should live apart to shorten the commute, at least for your all-important 1L year. Best of luck.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:46 pm

Knock wrote:Congrats on getting into Yale though. I think you should live apart to shorten the commute, at least for your all-important 1L year. Best of luck.

You realize that if this is not flame, OP is going to Yale, right? What all-important 1L year? You really think straight P's at YLS is going to put the OP in a pickle? I think it is put best on the YLS website:

it allows one to ease gently into the work of the law .... This lack of grades is a life-long gift.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:46 pm

Wholigan wrote:
Knock wrote:Congrats on getting into Yale though. I think you should live apart to shorten the commute, at least for your all-important 1L year. Best of luck.

You realize that if this is not flame, OP is going to Yale, right? What all-important 1L year? You really think straight P's at YLS is going to put the OP in a pickle? I think it is put best on the YLS website:

it allows one to ease gently into the work of the law .... This lack of grades is a life-long gift.

(OP's SO is attending Harvard)

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:02 pm

Knock wrote:
Wholigan wrote:

Well, the SO is the one with the "easy" commute, right? Besides, are all 'P's the end of the world at HLS? They really shouldn't live so far from their schools, but it's not like either of them will have immense grade pressure.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:07 pm

Wholigan wrote:
Knock wrote:
Wholigan wrote:

Well, the SO is the one with the "easy" commute, right? Besides, are all 'P's the end of the world at HLS? They really shouldn't live so far from their schools, but it's not like either of them will have immense grade pressure.

Judging from the 2nd post in this thread, neither of them would have "easy" commutes if they live halfway. Yes, it is HLS but grades are still important, and it probably isn't going to be good for grades to have a several hour commute each day. Harvard also gives out LPs as well.

Titoortiz

Postby Titoortiz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:24 pm

Knock wrote:Judging from the 2nd post in this thread, neither of them would have "easy" commutes if they live halfway. Yes, it is HLS but grades are still important, and it probably isn't going to be good for grades to have a several hour commute each day. Harvard also gives out LPs as well.

None of us will have an easy commutes. Although there is no grades at YLS, I still plan to study hard. We are both aware that majority of our studying will be done on the train (4 hours commute a day). Of course, we are aware that there won't be any extra curricular activities for us but that's ok.

If we see that travel is too much for us, my partner will try to transfer to YLS.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:42 pm

Who the hell are you that you can even consider taking the Acela as a daily commuter train? You're talking over $100/day in travel costs. I mean, seriously.

Real suggestion: Man up, live in separate cities, spend your money traveling back and forth to spend time together on the weekend. Boston->New Haven (or vice versa) isn't bad, you'll be buying fewer Acela tickets, and you'll be really busy during the week anyway.

Titoortiz

Postby Titoortiz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:53 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Who the hell are you that you can even consider taking the Acela as a daily commuter train? You're talking over $100/day in travel costs. I mean, seriously.

Real suggestion: Man up, live in separate cities, spend your money traveling back and forth to spend time together on the weekend. Boston->New Haven (or vice versa) isn't bad, you'll be buying fewer Acela tickets, and you'll be really busy during the week anyway.

Sorry, will take the regular amtrak not Acela. 900$ for a unlimited monthly travel.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:36 am

Titoortiz wrote:Sorry, will take the regular amtrak not Acela. 900$ for a unlimited monthly travel.

... okay, obvious flame is obvious.

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:11 am

Titoortiz wrote:
Knock wrote:Judging from the 2nd post in this thread, neither of them would have "easy" commutes if they live halfway. Yes, it is HLS but grades are still important, and it probably isn't going to be good for grades to have a several hour commute each day. Harvard also gives out LPs as well.

None of us will have an easy commutes. Although there is no grades at YLS, I still plan to study hard. We are both aware that majority of our studying will be done on the train (4 hours commute a day). Of course, we are aware that there won't be any extra curricular activities for us but that's ok.

If we see that travel is too much for us, my partner will try to transfer to YLS.

Someone with writing like this got into YLS?

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:46 am

kulshan wrote:
Titoortiz wrote:

Someone with writing like this got into YLS?

No reason to be extra curricular. Just plain curricular will be fine.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:05 am

Clear flame... Op is talking about $900 a month on transportation.... PER person... So clearly they're going to spend oh 20k on train tickets each year on top of their tuitions

Postby 005618502 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:19 am

Na_Swatch wrote:Clear flame... Op is talking about $900 a month on transportation.... PER person... So clearly they're going to spend oh 20k on train tickets each year on top of their tuitions

Plus the horrible writing....

OP, enjoy cooley

Postby 005618502 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:21 am

Titoortiz wrote:

Sorry just had to point this out.....

rose711

Postby rose711 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:00 am

If post is true, this is a ridiculous and unsustainable plan that will make both your lives much harder than necessary during an unbelievably stressful time. Maybe one of you should defer for a year? Or, each get as cheap a place as possible near school and spend weekends or longer together. Or, if you have to be together, give up one of these dream schools and go somewhere else - if being together is so important maybe law school prestige is less important?

I promise you that you will not be able to sustain this kind of daily commute for law school.

Edit: I found Amtrak unlimited fare from Providence to Boston for $342 and from Providence to New Haven for $900 a month - so the total is $1242 a month just to get to the station back and forth each day, plus costs and commute time of getting to the law school from the station. Your life is going to be lived on trains.

I think you know this is a bad idea or you wouldn't have posted on this forum asking for advice.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:28 am

OP is Vinny!!!! http://www.usmagazine.com/moviestvmusic ... rd-2010261

At least that would explain a lot... ha

Return to “Choosing a Law School”