Seat Deposit Approaching - ChicagoKent vs. John Marshall($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Han_Shot_First

Seat Deposit Approaching - ChicagoKent vs. John Marshall($$)

Postby Han_Shot_First » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:52 pm

So, I am new at posting so I apologize if this is rough.

I am trying to decide what my best option is. I have been accepted to both John Marshall Chicago and Chicago Kent (30k at JM and nothing at CK). I am interested in studying IP Law and hope to find work/externships in Sports & Entertainment. After reading through the forums, I am a little weary of paying full price for CK, however, JM seems to have a poor reputation (at least in this forum).

I have also been accepted to Southwestern (which has an impressive number of classes dedicated to entertainment law) and am on a wait list at Villanova.

Any at all advice would be greatly appreciated.

JamMasterJ

Re: Seat Deposit Approaching - ChicagoKent vs. John Marshall($$)

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:47 pm

Try to get some money from Kent or - depending on your GPA/LSAT, and your willingness to retake/reapply -get into Kent with more money or possibly a better school. For IP, Kent is very strong and you will be a better candidate than many of your T2 peers because of your interest in this sector.
I wouldn't go to John Marshall and Kent at sticker is rough

Han_Shot_First

Postby Han_Shot_First » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:40 pm

Thank you for your post. How does one go about trying to get money from a school after being accepted? Do I send an email to the admissions office asking them to reconsider on scholarships? I would feel better about choosing CK if I could get some money.

Han_Shot_First

Postby Han_Shot_First » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:55 pm

Any additional help at all on this would be GREATLY appreciated.

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:50 pm

every JM student I have talked to regrets that they are there. You have at least 5 Chicago schools before you in the pecking order and then another 5 or so better regional schools on top of that.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:04 pm

UChi, Northwestern, Michigan, WUSTL, Notre Dame, Illinois, IU-B, T14 students with ties to Chicago/the Midwest, and high-performing students from strong regional schools (i.e. Minnesota, Iowa) will all be above you in the pecking order for jobs in a hard-hit legal market.

Don't do it. Retake the LSAT and reapply next year.

masochist

Postby masochist » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:12 pm

beachbum wrote:UChi, Northwestern, Michigan, WUSTL, Notre Dame, Illinois, IU-B, T14 students with ties to Chicago/the Midwest, and high-performing students from strong regional schools (i.e. Minnesota, Iowa) will all be above you in the pecking order for jobs in a hard-hit legal market.

Don't do it. Retake the LSAT and reapply next year.

+1

If this isn't an option, go to Kent. Scholarships at JM are notoriously difficult to keep.

Han_Shot_First

Postby Han_Shot_First » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:02 am

Thanks, I think I have decided to try to get scholarship money from Kent. If that doesn't work, I think my next best strategy is to wait and reapply to Iowa next year. I am from Iowa and desperately wanted to leave the state so I didn't apply. My family is telling me to just go for it at Kent but Iowa might be the safer choice.

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:08 am

Han_Shot_First wrote:Thanks, I think I have decided to try to get scholarship money from Kent. If that doesn't work, I think my next best strategy is to wait and reapply to Iowa next year. I am from Iowa and desperately wanted to leave the state so I didn't apply. My family is telling me to just go for it at Kent but Iowa might be the safer choice.

Good choice.

John Marshall is absolutely terrible so it shouldn't even be in the discussion.

jelly

Postby jelly » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:12 pm

Kent IP is > or = to Iowa in my opinion. But if you have in-state tuition at Iowa, it is probably the way to go.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”