Villanova vs. University of Maryland

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
smn002

Villanova vs. University of Maryland

Postby smn002 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:03 pm

can anyone weigh in on the pros and cons of attending either school? i was accepted and received scholarships to both. university of maryland is ranked 42 while villanova is ranked 84.. how much of a difference does this make in the long run? please help!!

northwood

Re: Villanova vs. University of Maryland

Postby northwood » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:04 pm

where do you want to practice? What is your total debt load from each school? can you get in state tuition at either? Which school do you like the best of these 2?

Rankings are good for a rough estimate of schools, but its not the end all be all.

smn002

Postby smn002 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:19 pm

i'm open to practicing anywhere on the east coast. i wouldn't get in state tuition at either school, but debt/tuition costs is not a factor. i visited both schools and liked both pretty equally. villanova seems like the safe choice for me and maryland would be more of change of scenery and force me to broaden my horizons and become a lot more independent. is this a good time to make a transition in life? or is it best to take a more familiar route?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:24 pm

Maryland is the better choice. At graduation 83.2% of Maryland law grads were employed compared to Villanova's 46.8%.

langdonbadger

Postby langdonbadger » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:59 pm

Villanova has a higher median starting salary, with a higher percentage of graduates reporting data. And at 9 months out, the rate of employment is nearly identical. I personally picked Nova over Maryland (better scholly also a factor), I think both are fine schools.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:05 pm

If Villanova offers a full tuition scholarship without stipulations, then that may be worth considering versus a partial scholarship at Maryland.

P.S. Maryland's reported placement is 94.3% at 9 months after graduation versus Villanova's 86%. Employment at graduation, however, is the more important figure because 9 months after finishing law school grads are more desparate as loan payments kick in & are likely to take any job.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”