UVA ($$$) or Columbia ($$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UVA ($$$) or Columbia ($$)

UVA (Full tuition scholarship)
59%
Columbia (60k)
41%

Total votes: 59

schrute13

New

UVA ($$$) or Columbia ($$)

Post by schrute13 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:21 pm

Hello all,

I just got my financial aid package from Columbia, so I can finally make one of these! I got a full tuition scholarship to UVA and 60K (over 3 years) from Columbia. I'm from VA and I attended UVA for undergrad. I loved my time there and I love Charlottesville, but it would also be nice to live in a new place. I think I want to either go into public interest law or do something for the government (prosecutor maybe?) so I probably wouldn't make that much money after I graduate. I would be fine with attending either school (I don't really have a dream school), but I think I'm drawn to the prestige/ranking of Columbia. But I also am a little scared to take out a bunch of loans. Any input on which school I should pick would be greatly appreciated!

viking138

Bronze

Re: UVA ($$$) or Columbia ($$)

Post by viking138 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:30 pm

Congrats on your excellent options! I am a Columbia student and I love it here. But honestly, if you're not interested in BigLaw, then a top 10 school with low cost of living, close ties to DC, and NO DEBT is definitely the way to go.

Good luck!! You should be fine with either choice :)

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:32 pm

If you're deadset on PI/gov, look into Columbia's LRAP and decide whether you want to bank on that (in addition to Columbia's elevated prestige) versus having very little debt coming from UVa.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:36 pm

Unless you want to work for a top NYC law firm, I think you should go to UVA given the money you'll save.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:39 pm

Virginia.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:02 am

Cavalier wrote:Unless you want to work for a top NYC law firm, I think you should go to UVA given the money you'll save.
This

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:31 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Unless you want to work for a top NYC law firm, I think you should go to UVA given the money you'll save.
This

WhirledWorld

Bronze

Post by WhirledWorld » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:38 am

Last edited by WhirledWorld on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:09 am

As someone wanting to go into government of public interest, you would get loan repayment to take care of your payments after you graduate, so i don't think you should base your decision primarily on money.

Let location be the primary factor.....(1) if you think you would like to change things up for law school and go to school in a big city, going to columbia would give you that chance. 2) or if you think you have a preference to work in one region over another

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bloopyblooper

New

Post by bloopyblooper » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:14 am

najumobi wrote:As someone wanting to go into government of public interest, you would get loan repayment to take care of your payments after you graduate, so i don't think you should base your decision primarily on money.
This is totally credited - since you want PI, you will have LRAP. You aren't taking the full brunt of the cost at all!

schrute13

New

Post by schrute13 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:18 pm

Thank you so much for all of your advice! I'm leaning towards Columbia, just because I would love to live in NYC for 3 years (or more), but I still need to look a bit further into their LRAP. I just emailed them today to try to negotiate a bit more aid using my u chicago and UVA offers...i doubt i'll get any more $$$, but we'll see. Thanks again for all of the replies!

luckdragon

New

Post by luckdragon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:00 pm

najumobi wrote:As someone wanting to go into government of public interest, you would get loan repayment to take care of your payments after you graduate, so i don't think you should base your decision primarily on money.
This was my rationale for choosing CLS over GULC with full tuition (and GULC sucking was also a factor). But one year in, I am not so sure I am so dead set on public interest, and I wish I had entertained the flexibility of low debt. If it was CLS v. UVA$$$, I would certainly have gone UVA, even with my PI goals.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”