UPenn vs. Columbia PLEASE HELP

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UPenn vs. Columbia

Columbia with 25K
34%
UPenn with 75K
48%
Cornell with 135K
19%

Total votes: 107

vanwinkle

Re: UPenn vs. Columbia PLEASE HELP

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:19 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:IF you're leaning DOJ Honors like I am

:?

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:20 pm

Thank goodness we at least have these great choices.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:20 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:IF you're leaning DOJ Honors like I am

:?

It's impossible believe me I know. I said that because of what the OP said...re-read. From the URM thread you should know what I believe about all that if you follow. Actually nevermind...I swear I just that read that...maybe they edited it out. I wouldn't say it otherwise. Edit again: They did say that.
Last edited by Non-Chalant1 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:21 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:I SENTENCE THEE TO PURGATORY!

Er, I mean, you should go to Cornell. Totes.

Never thought I'd write that, but in these circumstances...

Even if the eyes are on PI?

For the vast majority of PI, significantly less debt trumps higher ranking. That's not always true, but I'm not seeing a disadvantage to Cornell here.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:22 pm

last i checked Penn's lrap didn't look as hot as columbia's (or gtowns for that matter). With no biglaw interest I'd definitely make this between the tiny debt at cornell and the potential never paying loans with columbia's lrap

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:33 pm

bk1, thanks for your input. It would seem that choosing a school in the area you wish to practice, in my case, the SE, especially if biglaw/ PI/LRAP dont materialize, with $$ is a better choice than carrying the burden of the CLS debt simply for the prestige of the name. Question: why do you say Vandy blows Emory out of the Water?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:36 pm

drummerboy wrote:bk1, thanks for your input. It would seem that choosing a school in the area you wish to practice, in my case, the SE, especially if biglaw/ PI/LRAP dont materialize, with $$ is a better choice than carrying the burden of the CLS debt simply for the prestige of the name. Question: why do you say Vandy blows Emory out of the Water?

I personally believe, when biglaw/PI/LRAP doesn't materialize and you end up with no job through the school, the prestige is going to help you more than ever (when you are mass mailing resumes and trying to get a job on your own).

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:37 pm

drummerboy wrote:bk1, thanks for your input. It would seem that choosing a school in the area you wish to practice, in my case, the SE, especially if biglaw/ PI/LRAP dont materialize, with $$ is a better choice than carrying the burden of the CLS debt simply for the prestige of the name. Question: why do you say Vandy blows Emory out of the Water?

Places better in basically everything.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:40 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:

Places better in basically everything.

Pretty much this.

Vandy has upwards of 40-50%ish biglaw/Article III placement (which is slightly below the lower T14 and on par with USC/UCLA/UT) and people use those positions as a metric for employment prospects because they are roughly the most sought after and prestigious jobs. Emory has more like 20%ish placement in those areas (on par with schools like WUSTL/Illinois/W&M/etc).

Also, Vandy is well regarded throughout the south (though its primary markets are TN and NYC) so if you have ties to a southern market then you will likely have a better shot at prestigious employment in that market from Vandy than you would from Emory (which is regarded less highly and has less reach).

delusional

Postby delusional » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:48 pm

I weighed a similar question, and I essentially ruled out Columbia, although I'm still contemplating Penn and another school. Penn seems to have employment numbers that approach Columbia's and the debt at CLS is going to be immense. Unless you are the one guy in the history of Columbia to care about PI, it will be tough to handle that debt even with a biglaw salary - that was the dealbreaker for me. I can't see why someone would plan for debt that would be difficult in the best-case scenario.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:32 pm

thanks

sonervous88

Postby sonervous88 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:17 pm

thanks guys! i'm going to take a better look at columbia's lrap program. i really appreciate all of your input. i think the debt at columbia will just ruin the next few years for me. but we'll see. please let me know if you have any other advice. this has been very helpful!

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:54 am

delusional wrote:I weighed a similar question, and I essentially ruled out Columbia, although I'm still contemplating Penn and another school. Penn seems to have employment numbers that approach Columbia's and the debt at CLS is going to be immense. Unless you are the one guy in the history of Columbia to care about PI, it will be tough to handle that debt even with a biglaw salary - that was the dealbreaker for me. I can't see why someone would plan for debt that would be difficult in the best-case scenario.

A lot of us are interested in PI actually.

delusional

Postby delusional » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:57 am

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
delusional wrote:I weighed a similar question, and I essentially ruled out Columbia, although I'm still contemplating Penn and another school. Penn seems to have employment numbers that approach Columbia's and the debt at CLS is going to be immense. Unless you are the one guy in the history of Columbia to care about PI, it will be tough to handle that debt even with a biglaw salary - that was the dealbreaker for me. I can't see why someone would plan for debt that would be difficult in the best-case scenario.

Well, apparently most people at Columbia end up resisting the urge.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:22 pm

delusional wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:

Well, apparently most people at Columbia end up resisting the urge.

Like at every other law school?

writingbuff

Postby writingbuff » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:19 pm

This thread is relevant to my interests. I had a similar choice myself. Actually, pretty much identical.

I decided on UPenn. One major factor in my decision came from talking with recent law school grads. They all emphasized the FREEDOM that comes with little/no debt. I have a friend who has been mentoring me through the law admissions process. He's a HYS grad and has been doing PI since graduating. He took out massive debt and has been using his school's LRAP. But recently he has been contemplating a career change, but can't look at many jobs he is interested in (legal journalism, legal writing instructor, etc) because he would no longer qualify for LRAP if he took those jobs. He says the restriction on his choices really sucks. His is just one example but it's really been influential for me.

So my thought is before relying too much on LRAP, be REALLY sure you're going to be OK doing qualifying work for as long as necessary.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”