Maryland or FSU? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kozmosis

New

Maryland or FSU?

Post by kozmosis » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:33 pm

I haven't had a chance to visit either yet as I was accepted somewhat late. Any thoughts between these two schools as far as quality of life? I know Maryland is higher ranked so should that make this a no brainer?

jackattack17

Bronze

Re: Maryland or FSU?

Post by jackattack17 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:46 pm

pm'ed

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:48 pm

kozmosis wrote:I haven't had a chance to visit either yet as I was accepted somewhat late. Any thoughts between these two schools as far as quality of life? I know Maryland is higher ranked so should that make this a no brainer?
Where do you have ties, where do you want to practice, and what is the total cost of attendance at each?

kozmosis

New

Post by kozmosis » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:58 pm

rad law wrote:
kozmosis wrote:I haven't had a chance to visit either yet as I was accepted somewhat late. Any thoughts between these two schools as far as quality of life? I know Maryland is higher ranked so should that make this a no brainer?
Where do you have ties, where do you want to practice, and what is the total cost of attendance at each?

I've live almost my whole life in the southeast (NC specifically). MD is a little more expensive. While each have good environmental law programs, MD also has a top 5 health care law program which was my first interest. I have concerns about the Baltimore area, but as I said I haven't visited either yet.

I want to visit both, but my deposit deadline for Maryland is fast approaching.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:56 pm

kozmosis wrote:
rad law wrote:

I've live almost my whole life in the southeast (NC specifically). MD is a little more expensive. While each have good environmental law programs, MD also has a top 5 health care law program which was my first interest. I have concerns about the Baltimore area, but as I said I haven't visited either yet.

I want to visit both, but my deposit deadline for Maryland is fast approaching.
But where do you want to live and how much are each of these gonna run you?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kozmosis

New

Post by kozmosis » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:01 pm

I'll gladly live wherever my best opportunity lies. Tuition is similar, but slightly more at MD. The big difference is the cost of living estimates which puts MD at around $10,000 more per year. I suppose the question is the cost difference of going to MD and living in Baltimore worth the better rankings in my preferred fields? I know that at the end of the day I have to answer that question, but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar dilemma or opinions of those schools.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:09 pm

kozmosis wrote:I'll gladly live wherever my best opportunity lies. Tuition is similar, but slightly more at MD. The big difference is the cost of living estimates which puts MD at around $10,000 more per year. I suppose the question is the cost difference of going to MD and living in Baltimore worth the better rankings in my preferred fields? I know that at the end of the day I have to answer that question, but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar dilemma or opinions of those schools.
Specialty rankings are worthless. These schools are very regional, and it's gonna come down to where you want to live after graduation, which you should have an opinion about, deep down.

You still din't say how much they're actually going to cost.

FSUAlumniAtlanta

New

Post by FSUAlumniAtlanta » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:29 am

I agree that the specialty rankings mean NOTHING. No employer cares. If you want to work in a particular area of the law and would like to demonstrate your interest to potential employers, you should take internships during law school that align to the interest. The law school itself will not help.

Also, the fact that both these schools are not Top-20 schools, means they are both REGIONAL. This means that if you do top 15% at EITHER school, doors will open nationally. If you do bottom half, you will most likely only find interest from employers in the region and any regions you have/had ties to (like NC). FSU does very well in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, NC, SC, ect. Maryland does well in its respective region also. Unless one school is much cheaper than the other, I would base this decision strictly upon which region you most likely want to live post-graduation.

If you can, you should visit each school (and ASK if either is willing to provide any $$$). As for FSU, I loved it, did well, and have a high paying job in Atlanta.

Best of Luck!

kozmosis

New

Post by kozmosis » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:08 pm

Thanks everyone. I guess it really does come down to where I want to live. I think I will put down deposits for each and then visit the campuses since I don't have time to visit before my Maryland deposit is due. Thanks again for your input.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FSUAlumniAtlanta

New

Post by FSUAlumniAtlanta » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:17 pm

Best of Luck! If you visit FSU and have any additional questions, feel freel to shoot me an email.

Whatever1

New

Post by Whatever1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:26 pm

Maybe I'm a bit biased since I grew up in Baltimore, but where you will live/work/play is not what you see on the Wire. Yes parts of the city are really dangerous but what purpose would you have to ever travel to those areas? Really there isn't even a reason to ever travel through those areas either (can take the interstates to avoid them).

Bottom line is the city is not Detroit and it is not Buffalo. It's not a rust belt city dying, it's actually on the upswing and I think you would find neighborhoods you'd really enjoy. Check out Fells Point, Canton, Federal Hill. Michael Phelps lives in Fells Point and G.W. Bush's daughter lived in Federal Hill for a few years recently. These people would not live in a shithole place.

HOpe that helps.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”