UVa [$$$] vs. NYU [$$]

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which?

UVA [Full tuition scholly]
41%
NYU [60k scholly]
59%

Total votes: 56

Berry

UVa [$$$] vs. NYU [$$]

Postby Berry » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:54 pm

A while ago, I made this thread. I apologize to the moderators if this is too similar--feel free to close it if it is. But this is obviously a huge decision, and I just wanted to get the widest breadth of opinions as possible now that I've narrowed down my decision.

After appealing my financial aid decision with NYU, they have offered me $60k. As I mentioned in my original thread, I am a native New Yorker, and have the luxury of saving on living expenses, because I could live at home. As a result, my total debt from NYU would be about 95k plus interest. My only expenses at UVa would be living expenses, but I've heard that you can live there on as little as 10k. So total debt there could be anywhere from 30-60k, plus interest.

My goal is NYC biglaw, but really I'd be happy with anything that pays well in NYC. NYU is my dream school. At the same time, the difference in debt is obviously significant. I have to accept the NYU scholarship offer soon, so this is a lot of pressure. With NYU at sticker, I was completely ready to go to UVa. But this is making waver. Should it change my mind?

I know this is a decision a lot of people envy, and I appreciate that, but as someone who doesn't come from a lot of money, this is still pretty difficult.
Last edited by Berry on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Re: UVa [$$$] vs. NYU [$$]

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:58 pm

The maximum difference in debt then would be 65k. Considering your stated interests, I would easily take NYU, even if this meant taking that full 65k hit. When you're 40 you won't remember the 65k :D

barry

Postby barry » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:28 pm

go to NYU it sounds like you really want to and if you live at home the debt wont be a huge difference

Berry

Postby Berry » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:25 pm

Any of the UVa voters want to chime in? I could see myself being happy there, too. And dealing with less of a debt burden while I'm young is obviously appealing.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:28 pm

NYU probably is only marginally better if your only goal is biglaw.

If you are okay with living at home, I say NYU since cost is pretty close and the NYU debt isn't soulcrushing if you don't hit biglaw.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:28 pm

To be honest, I voted before I read your post. After reading it, I say NYU considering your interests and since it is your dream school. If you will be most happy at NYU, go there. Good Luck! You'll pay back the debt.

Berry

Postby Berry » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:56 pm

Shameless bump. Would still like to hear from the pro-UVa people. Are you current students, alums, or do you just think the debt at N is still too large? Coupled with the fact that bk1's first point is something I've thought about already, I find myself leaning the opposite way from what I stated in the OP lately.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:09 pm

Berry wrote:Shameless bump. Would still like to hear from the pro-UVa people. Are you current students, alums, or do you just think the debt at N is still too large? Coupled with the fact that bk1's first point is something I've thought about already, I find myself leaning the opposite way from what I stated in the OP lately.

I think the people that picked UVA fall into one of three categories:

a)They didn't read your post
b)They are UVA trolls and thus should be ignored
c)They are some combination of "a" and "b"

Hopefully someone can back me up on this so that you can get some reassurance.

Edit: Admittedly, I started out at "c"

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:26 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:I think the people that picked UVA fall into one of three categories:

It really isn't that cut and dry in my opinion.

NYU is only worth it if OP lives at home. If OP weren't living at home it would be a landslide for UVa due to the cost difference. The thing is that I think a lot of people (no idea how OP feels about this) would rather go to UVa for about half the price and be able to live on their own considering NYU isn't better enough than UVa (esp for just biglaw) to necessarily justify it as being markedly better.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:36 pm

If NYU is your dream school and you know that you want to work NYC biglaw (and you can live at home) it just makes more sense to go to NYU.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:40 pm

BruceWayne wrote:If NYU is your dream school and you know that you want to work NYC biglaw (and you can live at home) it just makes more sense to go to NYU.

^this.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:13 pm

Are you really going to live at home all 3 years of law school? If so, and the cost difference is really only going to be ~$50K then I vote NYU.

knotoftoads

Postby knotoftoads » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:15 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
Berry wrote:Shameless bump. Would still like to hear from the pro-UVa people. Are you current students, alums, or do you just think the debt at N is still too large? Coupled with the fact that bk1's first point is something I've thought about already, I find myself leaning the opposite way from what I stated in the OP lately.

I think the people that picked UVA fall into one of three categories:

Na. I chose UVA cuz of the whole no debt thing. wish I were in that situation with such an good school.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:01 pm

bk1 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:I think the people that picked UVA fall into one of three categories:

It really isn't that cut and dry in my opinion.

NYU is only worth it if OP lives at home. If OP weren't living at home it would be a landslide for UVa due to the cost difference. The thing is that I think a lot of people (no idea how OP feels about this) would rather go to UVa for about half the price and be able to live on their own considering NYU isn't better enough than UVa (esp for just biglaw) to necessarily justify it as being markedly better.

Assuming OP sees living at home as a positive, and since NYU is their dream school, I think the 30-60K is worth it. The fact that NYU does better (whether it is significantly or not it's still better) for NYC biglaw is just an added bonus IMO. Also, I don't think OP falls in the category of the "most people" you speak of. But, like you, I really am only speculating. OP, go wherever will make you happy. It really comes down to whether or not you can go to UVA with no regrets about passing up NYU. Best of luck!

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:12 pm

I'm a UVA 1L. I voted NYU.

djfe4president

Postby djfe4president » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:16 pm

OP, let me ask, why is your goal Biglaw?

if you have no experience with Biglaw, what if you hate it? At least UVA would give you the immediate option of doing something you like.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”