Baylor ($40k) vs. In-state at Ole Miss ($10k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LoyalRebel

Baylor ($40k) vs. In-state at Ole Miss ($10k)

Postby LoyalRebel » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:57 pm

Basically, I'm trying to determine what the best choice is. Is Baylor's prestige worth the price tag?

On one hand, Baylor is one of the Top 2 or 3 schools in Texas. It would provide access to the much larger legal markets I wouldn't have access to at Ole Miss. On the other hand Ole Miss is much cheaper, but is more limited in terms of marketability. I have no scholarships to either school.

I am an Accounting undergrad, and I want to practice corporate or tax law.

The Ole Miss law school is T3, but they have a Masters of Taxation program that was ranked 15th in the nation last time I checked. If I went there, I would do the joint JD/Masters of Taxation program in hopes that the reputation of the Masters degree would help get me noticed where my JD wouldn't. It wouldn't be as competitive either, which would help with my class ranking.

Baylor is, well... Baylor. It was ranked 65, 64, and 56 in 2009, 2010, and 2011 respectively and seems to be on the rise. I'd really like access to some of those Dallas/Houston area law firms and Texas in general seems to have tons of money floating around. The only problem is the price tag, which I will be wholly responsible for. I will already have around $10k debt from undergrad when I graduate, so debt is a definite issue.

PS If anyone tells me to retake I will find where you live and slash your tires.

niederbomb

Re: Baylor ($40k) vs. In-state at Ole Miss ($10k)

Postby niederbomb » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:34 am

Ole Miss for sure. Larger legal market aside, I can almost assure you that your job prospects in MS will be far better coming from Ole Miss than your job prospects in Texas would be graduating from Baylor. People in MS have a reverence for Ole Miss only surpassed by the adoration that Texans heap on UT.

Baylor's prestige in Texas is quite lacking, but the students have to work harder than Marines in boot camp. All this in the middle of bum-fuck Waco. Believe me, as someone who's been to Waco many times, you will be more suicidal than Cornell undergrads in February if you attend Baylor.

Baylor also has clever ways of taking away your scholarships after the first year. I really don't know why anyone would even consider going there.

There are 3 schools here in Texas that one can make a cogent argument for attending. They are UT, SMU, and UH. Anything else isn't worth the money. Go in-state. You'll be thankful for it in 2014.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:17 am

LOL @ attributing prestige to Baylor.

Only go to Ole Miss if you are okay with practicing in MS basically forever.

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:17 am

I can't imagine a scenario where Baylor would be worth sticker.

Go to Ole Miss

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:28 am

Hotty Toddy

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:44 am

Your only chance at high profile tax work is getting an LLM in tax at UF/NYU/GTown after graduation.

Ignoring your goals, I would go with Ole Miss as it is more reasonably priced. But understand that in order to have a legal job post graduation, you will need either really good grades or have a connection with someone. Many graduates of the school start their own firms by necessity (even before the economy tanked).

Through 2009 (winter 08/spring 09/summer 09), the school only placed 20 students in firms of more than 11 attorneys, 5 students in firms of more than 51 attorneys, and 3 in firms of more than 101 attorneys. 2009 was not even the worst class in terms of job prospects for law school graduates.

It's safe to say that corporate law is generally out.

nouseforaname123

Postby nouseforaname123 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:24 pm

LoyalRebel wrote:Basically, I'm trying to determine what the best choice is. Is Baylor's prestige worth the price tag?

On one hand, Baylor is one of the Top 2 or 3 schools in Texas. It would provide access to the much larger legal markets I wouldn't have access to at Ole Miss. On the other hand Ole Miss is much cheaper, but is more limited in terms of marketability. I have no scholarships to either school.

Baylor is, well... Baylor. It was ranked 65, 64, and 56 in 2009, 2010, and 2011 respectively and seems to be on the rise. I'd really like access to some of those Dallas/Houston area law firms and Texas in general seems to have tons of money floating around. The only problem is the price tag, which I will be wholly responsible for. I will already have around $10k debt from undergrad when I graduate, so debt is a definite issue.

Baylor is not what you think it is. For Texas, UT dominates the state. SMU does relatively well in Dallas, Houston does relatively well in Houston. Beyond that, it is all a crap shoot. Don't get me wrong, for some people Baylor is good choice. However, I don't think Baylor is a good choice for you.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:34 pm

niederbomb wrote:Baylor's prestige in Texas is quite lacking, but the students have to work harder than Marines in boot camp. All this in the middle of bum-fuck Waco. Believe me, as someone who's been to Waco many times, you will be more suicidal than Cornell undergrads in February if you attend Baylor.

In addition to the bad location causing suicidal tendencies, Baylor also has a reputation for overly competitive students, asshole professors who demean students, and ridiculous workloads including some kind of mandatory advocacy program in the 3rd year.

I vote Ole Miss, if you want to live and work in MS.

libdemjenn

Postby libdemjenn » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:43 pm

This is just a repeat of what others have said, but you should choose Ole Miss. Baylor does not currently have great placement in the Houston and Dallas markets. You would be better off attending UH or SMU. Baylor is a good school, but it suffers from its bad location and pretentious graduates. This is the observation of a Texan.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:48 pm

To sum everything up:

Neither has good employment prospects outside of starting your own firm, so go with the cheaper one.

SoupIsGoodFood

Postby SoupIsGoodFood » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:13 am

libdemjenn wrote:This is just a repeat of what others have said, but you should choose Ole Miss. Baylor does not currently have great placement in the Houston and Dallas markets. You would be better off attending UH or SMU. Baylor is a good school, but it suffers from its bad location and pretentious graduates. This is the observation of a Texan.

Pretentious graduates? I was at Baylor for UG and went to the law school a few times for pre-law events. I had no intention of applying there but the people there were probably among the least pretentious of any of the law schools I've visited. That said, many of them will probably be without gainful employment when they graduate. When I got a speeding ticket in rural central Texas on my way back from Houston one night, the solo lawyer who got my ticket dismissed was a Baylor Law grad.

Still, you could do a whole lot worse in Texas. You could go to Texas Wesleyan or Thurgood Marshall...

dvcook

Postby dvcook » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:58 pm

Echoing what most have said - I am from Texas, got in to Baylor and did NOT choose to go there. I am deciding between SMU & UH - which basically boils down to whether I want to work in Dallas or Houston. I have friends who went to Baylor law and said DO NOT GO! The big firms or firms from the city don't come to Waco for OCI. The top 5% of the class gets recruited for great offers and no one else. Don't think being top 5% at Baylor would be easy either. They study more hours than 99% of other law students with fewer job prospects in Dallas & Houston. Unless you want to practice in central or west Texas. Waste of time & money. Go to Ole Miss, be top % of class, get LLM from prestigious tax program. If you want to practice in Texas, get LLM in tax at SMU. Very strong in Texas.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”