UBaltimore v. Maryland

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

Baltimore
33%
Maryland
67%

Total votes: 18

ElisabethR805

UBaltimore v. Maryland

Postby ElisabethR805 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:19 am

UBaltimore gave me a free ride, Maryland would be full price. I'm born and raised in Maryland and I don't have any problem planning to stay, so job prospects from both seem good (Baltimore has a great alumni network in Maryland)

Is it worth it to pay for my J.D. from Maryland, or am I better off getting the degree for free at Baltimore?

patrickd139

Re: UBaltimore v. Maryland

Postby patrickd139 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:14 pm

ElisabethR805 wrote:UBaltimore gave me a free ride, Maryland would be full price. I'm born and raised in Maryland and I don't have any problem planning to stay, so job prospects from both seem good (Baltimore has a great alumni network in Maryland)

Is it worth it to pay for my J.D. from Maryland, or am I better off getting the degree for free at Baltimore?

Depending on the stipulations attached to the UBalt scholarship, I'm inclined to say UBalt. If you do well, you can transfer to Maryland (or another school, if you do really well) and attend at, effectively, a 1/3 tuition scholarship (because UBalt is free). If you don't do well, you're not out tuition and will not drown in debt of taking out full tuition at Maryland.

My advice is heavily influenced by the belief that Maryland at sticker is never worth the cost.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:25 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
ElisabethR805 wrote:UBaltimore gave me a free ride, Maryland would be full price. I'm born and raised in Maryland and I don't have any problem planning to stay, so job prospects from both seem good (Baltimore has a great alumni network in Maryland)

Depending on the stipulations attached to the UBalt scholarship, I'm inclined to say UBalt. If you do well, you can transfer to Maryland (or another school, if you do really well) and attend at, effectively, a 1/3 tuition scholarship (because UBalt is free). If you don't do well, you're not out tuition and will not drown in debt of taking out full tuition at Maryland.

My advice is heavily influenced by the belief that Maryland at sticker is never worth the cost.

Have you tried leveraging your Baltimore scholly at UMD?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:48 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

Have you tried leveraging your Baltimore scholly at UMD?

Also a valid suggestion.

Whatever1

Postby Whatever1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:58 am

I voted UB. I'm from Baltimore and UB has a great reputation in the area, as you know. More like equalsto Maryland. So I'd go there with the money. Plus I heard they're improving facilities and stuff due to some big donations from Peter Angelos, who is a UB Law grad. But if you have any inclination that you might want to one day work outside of the limits of say the 695 beltway I'd go to Maryland.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”