Temple 3L Taking Questions

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JakeG3636

Temple 3L Taking Questions

Postby JakeG3636 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:24 am

3L soon to graduate from Temple Law.

Anyone wondering about Temple's programs, student life, career prospects or anything else, ask away.

sfxx

Re: Temple 3L Taking Questions

Postby sfxx » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:12 am

do you have a job lined up?

do most of your fellow classmates?

voltage88

Postby voltage88 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:22 am

Are you happy with your experience at Temple?

Over what schools did you choose Temple?

JakeG3636

Postby JakeG3636 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Yes, I do. I am working at a mid-sized firm in the suburbs. I started working as a law clerk there this past year. A lot of my friends have one year clerkships with judges lined up, both federal and state. If you want to get a federal clerkship from Temple, you really need to be in the top 20% of the class, for a state clerkship, it really depends, but the better your grades, the better your chances.

I also have a good amount of friends working at smaller and mid-sized firms, through jobs and internships they had in law school. I know a handful of people working at big firms, but those jobs are highly competitive. Firms that used to take starting classes of 20 graduates are only taking 3-5, so there are definitely less Temple people working at big firms than before. Also, what Temple does really well in, is public sector trial positions, such as the District Attorney and Public Defender's office. That being said, because of the budget crises at the state level, there are hundreds of applicants for DA/PD positions, for only a handful of positions.

I also have a lot of friends struggling to get jobs. Last year at graduation, few 3L's had jobs lined up, but they all seem to have landed something, so there is hope. I would say that the struggles that Temple students are having are more of a nationwide problem of 1. an awful economy, and 2. the fact that there are more lawyers than there are jobs for lawyers, even in a good market.

JakeG3636

Postby JakeG3636 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:24 pm

I am very happy with my experience at Temple. They have a great trial advocacy program, and good classes in many areas. There are also good people here, and it is a very cost-efficient school.

I chose Temple over Pitt, Villanova, Rutgers, Cordozo and Brooklyn. I did so because it was the cheapest for me (aside form Pitt, which offered me a full ride). I would urge all students to think of cost and location more than anything else.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:12 pm

Thanks for taking questions. A few topics I'm interested in were already addressed, but let me touch on a few other subjects, briefly.

1. Do you think the budget crisis in the state will noticeably and negatively impact future Temple students? Aside from a tuition increase, which seems a given at some point.

2. How do you like living in Philly?

3. The Philly legal market in the next 2 years: Better, worse, or just about the same?

4. Is there cohesion and camaraderie among the student body? I'd be moving to Philly from NY, and don't know anyone in the area. I guess what I'm asking is - did you make friends easily or is Temple more of a commuter school where people have little social interaction outside the classroom?

JakeG3636

Postby JakeG3636 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:31 pm

1. Do you think the budget crisis in the state will noticeably and negatively impact future Temple students? Aside from a tuition increase, which seems a given at some point.

Yes, at least in the short term. Tuition will likely go up, but only by a few thousand dollars. It is still cheaper than other schools in the area. Where the budgets are hurting us most, is the state and local govt hiring. Temple students used to fill the ranks at the DA/Public Defender/City Solicitor and PA attorney general's office. Now there is little hiring going on. That will have to change by the time you all are out of school, because all of those offices are currently understaffed, and there is more hiring than there was 1-2 years ago (when there was an all out freeze).

2. How do you like living in Philly?

Love it. No place is better. I grew up in the midwest, but my parents are from here, and all of my extended family is here. There is a lot to do in terms of nightlife and culture, a strong legal community/market, and its very affordable. I Hope to live here the rest of my life.

3. The Philly legal market in the next 2 years: Better, worse, or just about the same?

I can't say. Probably better as the job market picks up, but I think it will follow the trend of the legal market in general. Document review is being done by computers and overseas workers, and there is technology, such as Legal Zoom that is leading more people to litigate pro se. There is also the possibility of tort reform. If those things pick up/take place, the legal market could continue to be terrible everywhere. That's not unique to Philly though.

4. Is there cohesion and camaraderie among the student body? I'd be moving to Philly from NY, and don't know anyone in the area. I guess what I'm asking is - did you make friends easily or is Temple more of a commuter school where people have little social interaction outside the classroom?

Yes. Everyone has their group of friends here, and it is a very social school. That being said, I've never gone to another law school, so I don't have a comparison.

easylv

Postby easylv » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:38 pm

Could you tell me what kind of salaries you and your friends are getting? I'm in at Temple and trying to choose between attending there and keeping my current job.

JakeG3636

Postby JakeG3636 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:44 pm

easylv wrote:Could you tell me what kind of salaries you and your friends are getting? I'm in at Temple and trying to choose between attending there and keeping my current job.

Generally people don't discuss salaries, however big firms and public sector jobs are usually open to the public, and I have a ballpark of what firms pay.

To answer your question: People are making between $33,000 and $145,000. There is a huge range in salaries and it depends on what you want to do and who is willing to hire you. A lot of Temple students are into public sector work, which generally pays between $40-$60k to start. Some people land jobs at big firms, which pay $100-145k in Philly. Some do year-long state clerkships, which pay between $33-55k. Probably, the most common job among Temple grads is small and mid-sized firms, which generally pay betwen $50-$80k. There are also a number of students who graduated last year, who cannot find jobs, and are volunteering with judges and government agencies for free.

In other words, its a gamble. It is no guarantee that you perform well in school, as everyone was a good student in college. Even if you finish in the top of your class after your first year, and work as a summer associate at a big firm, there is no guarantee that they will hire you (or anyone in this economy). Some people in Philly who graduated from Penn can't even find work. Its a rough market, and an overcrowded profession.

In short, if you want a guarantee of a big paycheck, don't go to law school, unless you get into Harvard, Yale, Stanford or UChicago.

easylv

Postby easylv » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:21 pm

Thanks much.

voltage88

Postby voltage88 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:03 am

How accessible/helpful are the professors?

How difficult is it to maintain a high GPA? I'm sure it's not easy to get good grades anywhere, but I'm wondering if the competition at Temple is so stiff that it's not in one's hands to maintain a good GPA.

JakeG3636

Postby JakeG3636 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:56 pm

voltage88 wrote:How accessible/helpful are the professors?

How difficult is it to maintain a high GPA? I'm sure it's not easy to get good grades anywhere, but I'm wondering if the competition at Temple is so stiff that it's not in one's hands to maintain a good GPA.

The professors are for the most part very helpful. The full-time profs are generally very knowledgeable and dedicated to both research and teaching. When you start taking the upper level courses they hire a lot of practicing lawyers as adjuncts. Adjuncts give great practical advice, that is useful after law school and during internships, jobs, etc., but they often are not great at writing exams, and responding to student questions. Once again, I don't have a comparison, as I have only attended one law school.

As far as grades: Once again, I don't have a comparison, but I'll tell you about my experience. The competition is tough at Temple. I studied pretty hard, and have gotten good grades for the most part. The exception was my first semester- I was used to getting good grades with minimal effort from college, and did not do as well as I would've hoped because of that. I also had a demanding and nagging girlfriend, which made it harder. Also remember, half the class will always be in the bottom half of the class for the first time in their lives, and that is true everywhere.

kopper

Postby kopper » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:19 am

thanks for taking questions. do you know anything about the ITAP program? Is it more geared toward a criminal law career or is it helpful for someone more interested in civil law and biglaw type employment. If not, what is the benefit of that program?

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:27 am

Does it bother you when Villanova students claim to attend a peer school to temple? Do you laugh right then and there or wait till they walk away?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:23 pm

There seems to be an incredible amount of dinning options on campus. What's the one place I need to try at least once? What's the one place I must avoid at all cost? This applies to both food trucks and fixed location dining spots.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:32 pm

Justathought wrote:There seems to be an incredible amount of dinning options on campus. What's the one place I need to try at least once? What's the one place I must avoid at all cost? This applies to both food trucks and fixed location dining spots.

Fame's famous pizza for a quick slice. I was in the area the other day and I would have stopped just to order a slice from Fame had it not been pouring rain.

JakeG3636

Postby JakeG3636 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:48 pm

kopper wrote:thanks for taking questions. do you know anything about the ITAP program? Is it more geared toward a criminal law career or is it helpful for someone more interested in civil law and biglaw type employment. If not, what is the benefit of that program?

ITAP is geared towards anyone interested in trial advocacy. I wouldn't pigeonhole yourself to civil or criminal law, because believe it or not, odds are you will end up doing something in both. At many of the big firms, the senior partners take criminal appellate cases, and they give the associates criminal pro bono cases to give them trial experience. Also many people who are sure they want to be prosecutors/public defenders end up taking jobs in civil litigation, because that is who hires them. Either way, you need to know how to conduct direct and cross exams, know the rules of evidence, and make opening and closing arguments.

The program is one semester of evidence and a mock criminal trial, the next semester is civil procedure II with a mock civil trial. After those classes there are advanced trial ad, one of civil and one for criminal. The classes are also taught by some of the best trial lawyers around, and people who know the rules of evidence like the back of their hand. No matter what type of law you do, these skills and rules are extremely helpful.

That being said, it's not like Temple ITAP is the only way to learn these things, but it is a great program.

JakeG3636

Postby JakeG3636 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:51 pm

reasonable_man wrote:Does it bother you when Villanova students claim to attend a peer school to temple? Do you laugh right then and there or wait till they walk away?

haha, I've never met anyone from Nova who said that. I've worked with a lot of Nova people through jobs and internships, most of them go to Nova because they got a better scholarship, or they didn't get into Temple. Some are just scared to go to school in North Philly.

JakeG3636

Postby JakeG3636 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:53 pm

Justathought wrote:There seems to be an incredible amount of dinning options on campus. What's the one place I need to try at least once? What's the one place I must avoid at all cost? This applies to both food trucks and fixed location dining spots.

I like the "Sexy Green Truck", which is both its name, and what I would call it if it had a different name. I would avoid the coffee shop in Klein hall at all costs, because it is overpriced and their sandwiches suck.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:49 am

reasonable_man wrote:Does it bother you when Villanova students claim to attend a peer school to temple? Do you laugh right then and there or wait till they walk away?

What basis do you have for claiming they're not peer schools?

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:08 pm

He was baiting the OP, and the OP took it.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:09 pm

Wholigan wrote:He was baiting the OP, and the OP took it.

I know his shtick. I was just seeing if he could justify it.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:23 pm

I was hoping we could gloss over that portion of the thread. Let's talk more about food trucks! :roll:

voltage88

Postby voltage88 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:14 pm

What part of Philly do a lot of Temple law students live in? I was looking at a few Center City apts. What are your recommendations with regards to what part of town to live in?

JakeG3636

Postby JakeG3636 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:38 pm

voltage88 wrote:What part of Philly do a lot of Temple law students live in? I was looking at a few Center City apts. What are your recommendations with regards to what part of town to live in?

I'd say a vast majority of students live in rittenhouse, South Philly, grad hospital, art museum, and northern liberties, there's also a good deal of people in Manayunk, Roxborough and East Falls. Anywhere in Center City or South Philly close to the Broad St. subway is a good call, because you can take the Broad St. line right to campus. I lived in East Falls my 1L year, and its a great neighborhood, but the Regional Rail only comes once every half hour or hour, so your life may revolve around the train schedule. Northern Liberties is a great neighborhood, so is the Art Museum.

The big high rise apartments in center city can be a rip off, so I would avoid those. If you want to live in a building, Parktown and Parkway house in the art museum area are good deals.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”