Rutgers Newark vs. Brooklyn vs. Cardozo

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
caldo4

Rutgers Newark vs. Brooklyn vs. Cardozo

Postby caldo4 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:04 pm

I got 18K from RU-N (In state), about 40K from Brooklyn and $30K from Cardozo. What's my best option there?

Justathought

Re: Rutgers Newark vs. Brooklyn vs. Cardozo

Postby Justathought » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:08 pm

Can you provide either a cost of attendance figure or a tuition figure for each school? That would help this process. Also, can you provide the stipulations attached to your scholarships?

caldo4

Postby caldo4 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:10 pm

Justathought wrote:Can you provide either a cost of attendance figure or a tuition figure for each school? That would help this process. Also, can you provide the stipulations attached to your scholarships?

3.0 for RU to keep the scholly. Top 40% at the other 2.

Cardozo and Brooklyn, with living on campus cost about $70K and RU-N costs about $40K

tourdeforcex

Postby tourdeforcex » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:15 pm

stipulations seem to be on par.

Cardozo and Brooklyn are significantly more expensive to attend.

do you want to work in the city? would you be happy working in NJ?

caldo4

Postby caldo4 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:17 pm

tourdeforcex wrote:stipulations seem to be on par.

Cardozo and Brooklyn are significantly more expensive to attend.

do you want to work in the city? would you be happy working in NJ?

I'd rather work in the city but I could live with NJ. Not married to either idea or anything like that. Is there any significant difference b/t the schools like in quality or anything?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:26 pm

caldo4 wrote:
Justathought wrote:Can you provide either a cost of attendance figure or a tuition figure for each school? That would help this process. Also, can you provide the stipulations attached to your scholarships?

3.0 for RU to keep the scholly. Top 40% at the other 2.

Cardozo and Brooklyn, with living on campus cost about $70K and RU-N costs about $40K

Yeah, Rutgers is the best option here - provided you don't mind working in Northern NJ. The other schools place a little better, but its very close.

Newark for three years won't be pleasant, but the competition should be a little less intense, and the scholarship stipulations are lower. 3.0 is median at Newark. I have a lot of friends scattered in NY area law schools, and your other two choices, particularly Cardozo, are littered with bargain hunters who were accepted at Fordham and/or comparable, but wanted to go cheap. The competition to keep that money will be absolutely brutal. The job prospects - not substantially better - and Rutgers is almost half the cost.

That said, if debt is not a major concern, for whatever reason, go to Cardozo. Its a pretty good school, in my opinion. Oh and don't forget about IBR and LRAP if you're married to the idea of some kind of non-prestigious public interest work. That could make Cardozo or Brooklyn much more feasible.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”