Minnesota (COA $0), Illinois (COA $0), or Duke (COA $25K)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which should I attend? MN, IL, Duke?

Minnesota (full tuition scholarship)
11%
Illinois (full tuition scholarship)
15%
Duke (half tuition scholarship)
74%

Total votes: 46

canditiffany

Minnesota (COA $0), Illinois (COA $0), or Duke (COA $25K)

Postby canditiffany » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:48 am

Reposting with more information. Received full tuition from Minnesota and Illinois, and half tuition from Duke. Chem Engineering undergrad and interested in IP law. Would like to practice in the Midwest (extended family in Ohio), but not totally opposed to going to other areas. Other than the tuition, the R&B and fees are basically equal (20K per year) for all three schools.

Minnesota:
Pros: full tuition, vibrant city, some college friends will be working/attending school in Minneapolis
Cons: worried about limiting my job prospects to the twin cities area.

Illinois:
Pros: full tuition, access to Chicago for job prospects
Cons: located in small city, not much going on

Duke:
Pros: Top 14 school, job prospects more national
Cons: most expensive of the three, so will incur debt

canditiffany

Re: Minnesota (COA $0), Illinois (COA $0), or Duke (COA $25K)

Postby canditiffany » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:26 pm

Thanks to those who have voted. Also, if you have any input to provide, please let me know.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:31 pm

Every person I've met or talked to who both has the science background and the desire to go into IP has gotten a job (including a guy at Illinois with only median grades). You will be more than safe attending Illinois or Minnesota with your background if IP is what you want to do.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:27 pm

What's with the COA at Duke being only 25K more than UMN and Illinois?
If this is the case, I can't see a reason for not picking it, but the tuition difference between half and full is more like 60-75K. Just wondering what the difference is because even at half difference Duke is worth it and at only 25K more, it's not even a question

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:27 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:What's with the COA at Duke being only 25K more than UMN and Illinois?
If this is the case, I can't see a reason for not picking it, but the tuition difference between half and full is more like 60-75K. Just wondering what the difference is because even at half difference Duke is worth it and at only 25K more, it's not even a question

I think this person means: COA UMN $60k, Illinois $60k, Duke $135k

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:49 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:What's with the COA at Duke being only 25K more than UMN and Illinois?

I think this person means: COA UMN $60k, Illinois $60k, Duke $135k

Yeah, unless he has something that will pay room and board (external scholarship or savings)

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:43 pm

Just based on the thread title, I cannot imagine someone turning down Duke on a $25k margin.

I'm also skeptical that's the choice we're presented with here.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:05 pm

there needs to be a sticky on here to explain how to represent cost of attendance.

canditiffany

Postby canditiffany » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:42 am

Sorry all. Yes, you are correct--the total cost of attendance for the 3 years is Minnesota 60K, Illinois 60K, Duke 135K. Sorry for the confusion.

MyManKanye

Postby MyManKanye » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Well I'm in a similar boat (minus Duke) and I'm an undergrad ME at UIUC. U of I has things going on, most of them revolve around sports or drinking/partying though. From what I've heard of Duke that's similar. Twin cities is supposed to be a very nice place to live, but I don't know much about the school.

If you have any specific questions about the campus I'd be happy to help you. Also, you can live in Champaign on campus with a nice apartment for 600/month easy and down to 300-400 if you get 3-4 roommates. Off campus (which is what I'm looking at since the law buildings aren't really close to anywhere I'd want to live anyway) is about 1/2 to 2/3 the rent for a nice place. I figured my COL (minus school costs) at UIUC next year to be 9k-10k with a 500/month apartment and 200/month on food plus a few hundred a month play money.

EDIT: Just something I forgot. I know another engineer who graduated from UIUC and went to UIUC for IP law. He's starting this week at a boutique IP firm in Chicago. I don't know his class placement other than top half. He had weak softs. If you aren't trying to do IP at a biglaw firm I think you could really get a job anywhere in the midwest from all three schools. Might just be harder to find the employers at some schools.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”