Mercer~UGA transfer

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
csmith

Mercer~UGA transfer

Postby csmith » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:58 pm

Has anyone transfered in to UGA. I am most likely going to Mercer next year for my first year, but I would like to transfer to UGA because of the high cost of tuition at Mercer. I am trying to get an idea of how hard it is to transfer in there as a 2L.
Thanks.

Rule11

Re: Mercer~UGA transfer

Postby Rule11 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:02 pm

Transferring is hard.

Don't go to law school if you've got doubts about whether it's worth it to graduate from the school you first attend. DON'T DO THAT.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:28 pm

My best guess is that transferring from Mercer to Georgia is not uncommon & probably requires top 25% or better ASSUMING that Mercer is an AALS member law school. If Mercer is not an AALS member, then transferring is not permitted by Georgia.

Bill Cosby

Postby Bill Cosby » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:27 pm

Rule11 wrote:Transferring is hard.

Don't go to law school if you've got doubts about whether it's worth it to graduate from the school you first attend. DON'T DO THAT.

This.

csmith

Postby csmith » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:03 am

Thanks, I know that this is not that hard because I know people who have done it. It is just certain schools discourage transferring more than others which is why some people think it is hard.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:04 pm

this is setup for a massive failure/disappointment

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:12 pm

csmith wrote:Thanks, I know that this is not that hard because I know people who have done it. It is just certain schools discourage transferring more than others which is why some people think it is hard.

*facepalm*

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:26 pm

OP: Relevant to your interests. Disregard the part about not posting in this forum (as this is probably the best place to be ripped for you transfer "plans").

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=124519

csmith

Postby csmith » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:16 am

Thank you Rule11 and CanadianWolf for offering HELPFUL information.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:37 pm

You ask TLS how hard it is to transfer from tier 4 mercer to tier 1 uga. Multiple people tell you your chances of being able to transfer are 0-25%, very slim odds. You then tell us you KNOW its not hard, since a few people did it (that kind of reasoning probably helped you on the LSAT) and make a snarky comment about how unhelpful everyone is.

You win.

csmith

Postby csmith » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:18 am

I have heard that its likely if you are in the top 15-25% of your class. Pretty sure that you don't have to be in the top 10% of your 1L class to transfer from Mercer to UGA. I have talked to other people who I work with (WHO HAVE GONE TO BOTH SCHOOLS & SOME THAT HAVE TRANSFERRED IN BETWEEN) and have heard this. I am not stating this as my own opinon.

Here's another snarky comment for you Sandro, Mercer is a tier three not a tier four school.
Last edited by csmith on Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Cosby

Postby Bill Cosby » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:23 am

csmith wrote:I have heard that its likely if you are in the top 15-25% of your class. Pretty sure that you don't have to be in the top 10% of your 1L class to transfer from Mercer to UGA. I have talked to other people who I work with (WHO HAVE GONE TO BOTH SCHOOLS & SOME THAT HAVE TRANSFERRED IN BETWEEN) and have heard this. I am not stating this as my own opinon.

Here's another snarky comment for you Sanfago, Mercer is a tier three not a tier four school.

You do realize 75% of people aren't in the top 25%, right?

Also, calling him gay is the best you've got? Really?

athenian

Postby athenian » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:35 am

Bill Cosby wrote:
csmith wrote:I have heard that its likely if you are in the top 15-25% of your class. Pretty sure that you don't have to be in the top 10% of your 1L class to transfer from Mercer to UGA. I have talked to other people who I work with (WHO HAVE GONE TO BOTH SCHOOLS & SOME THAT HAVE TRANSFERRED IN BETWEEN) and have heard this. I am not stating this as my own opinon.

Here's another snarky comment for you Sanfago, Mercer is a tier three not a tier four school.

You do realize 75% of people aren't in the top 25%, right?

Also, calling him gay is the best you've got? Really?

TBF, he is going to Mercer.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:15 pm

Well , I have about 130 friends who are 1Ls at Mercer who will not be able to transfer to UGA despite the fact 100% of them assumed they would finish in the top 25% and be able to because of how expensive Mercer is.

And you should definitely be speculating about finishing in the top 25% right now because you've obviously taken a law school exam....done an outline .... filed a brief .....gone to class

Postby 20160810 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:51 pm

OP,

You will, let me repeat, WILL, fail to get the grades needed to transfer. No matter how much you think that you're special and you'll work hard, you're about as smart and hard-working as everyone else at Mercer. DO NOT GO TO A LAW SCHOOL YOU WOULDN'T TAKE A J.D. FROM!

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:55 pm

SBL wrote:OP,

You will, let me repeat, WILL, fail to get the grades needed to transfer. No matter how much you think that you're special and you'll work hard, you're about as smart and hard-working as everyone else at Mercer. DO NOT GO TO A LAW SCHOOL YOU WOULDN'T TAKE A J.D. FROM!

It is sad that this has to actually be said and is not just understood.

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:55 pm

i went to uga. there was one transfer in my three years there. i dont know how easy or hard it is, but based on my experience, I can tell you that it is uncommon.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:18 pm

I cant wait for OP to come back and call everyone [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE A DICK.] 8)

csmith

Postby csmith » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:49 pm

Last edited by csmith on Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:02 pm

Sandro wrote:Well , I have about 130 friends who are 1Ls at Mercer who will not be able to transfer to UGA despite the fact 100% of them assumed they would finish in the top 25% and be able to because of how expensive Mercer is.

And you should definitely be speculating about finishing in the top 25% right now because you've obviously taken a law school exam....done an outline .... filed a brief .....gone to class

Dear God, TITCR OP, seriously. Attending anywhere with transferring intentions is just insane. I am a current law student and speak from experience when I say that grades are insanely arbitrary and there were many people in my section who I thought were so intelligent that they could teach the damn class that ended up below median. Do NOT, under ANY circumstance, go to a school from which you dont want to graduate from.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:06 pm

Just save yourself a lot of disappointment and retake the LSAT.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:21 pm

rad law wrote:Just save yourself a lot of disappointment and retake the LSAT.

Wut? Average salary in private sector is 81k bro, means I'm gonna be mad rich with or without the transfer. I spoke with the law school and they told me with the economy picking up that salary will be even higher by the time I graduate and since I found a Mercer grad in CA and one in NY that means my degree will have mad portability all around the country. Even if I only end up with a small 80k jerb I guess that'll be ok too cause all lawyers are rich anyway.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:44 pm

I would agree, dont go to a school unless you are 100%fine/happy with getting a degree from there. Even entertaining thoughts that you want to transfer before you start for whatever reason is a warning sign and you should seriously consider why you arent retaking to try and get into your #1 choice. You arent going to be able to transfer.

This is one of those things along with retaking and the T3/T4 sticker warnings I think TLS does a good job of relaying to people. No, this isnt people poo pooing your choice, or trying to make themselves feel better than you - this is 100% true advice based on the real experiences of future/current/past law students.

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:53 pm

it's fine, attend with the intention of transferring, although it may be hard, at least gives you motivation, GL OP

csmith

Postby csmith » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:27 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
Sandro wrote:Well , I have about 130 friends who are 1Ls at Mercer who will not be able to transfer to UGA despite the fact 100% of them assumed they would finish in the top 25% and be able to because of how expensive Mercer is.

Dear God, TITCR OP, seriously. Attending anywhere with transferring intentions is just insane. I am a current law student and speak from experience when I say that grades are insanely arbitrary and there were many people in my section who I thought were so intelligent that they could teach the damn class that ended up below median. Do NOT, under ANY circumstance, go to a school from which you dont want to graduate from.

Agreed completely and totally about going anywhere you would not want a degree from. I work with a bunch of Mercer, UGA, and GSU grads. I know that Mercer is a great school for people who want to practice in state, but I heard it is difficult to find employment elsewhere.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”