Lewis & Clark ($) vs. U Oregon ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Should I go to Lewis & Clark or U Oregon?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:14 pm

Lewis & Clark
50%
U Oregon
50%

Total votes: 22

Papa Smurf

Lewis & Clark ($) vs. U Oregon ($)

Postby Papa Smurf » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:14 pm

I know this match-up has already been done, consider this a bump of sorts for older threads. Please note that "retake LSAT and apply next year" is not a choice :lol:

Rather than go over my exhaustive pro/con list for both schools, I'll try to put my dillemma succintly. LC passed the gut test during my visit, and I loved Portland (will likely practice in the region, but I'm keeping an open mind- OOS btw), but UO's curriculum is closer to what I'm looking for (public interest law with a political bent), and a JD from there would have a better reputation outside of Oregon.

I liked the social atmosphere at LC more, but I also like having big-school stuff to do (two words: Ducks football). I like Eugene's weather a bit more (it's sunnier generally), but Portland's is still nice.

OK, that wasn't too succinct, but you get the crux of it haha. If you need more info, I'll add to my list as needed.

Case2L

Re: Lewis & Clark ($) vs. U Oregon ($)

Postby Case2L » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:45 pm

SInce you're OOS, should we assume that cost is relatively equal?

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:48 pm

I would guess, JUST guess, mind you, that if you are interested in Oregon politics or a state law job, OU would be the better choice. One function of state schools is to supply the needs of state government. At least, that's how it is down here in N.Mex.

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:56 pm

I would agree with the above poster. If you have any interest in politics, I suspect The O carries more weight in Oregon than L&C.

Capitol hillbilly

Postby Capitol hillbilly » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:41 am

Hmm.. I've applied to both of these schools, accepted at Lewis and Clark and waiting on U of O. I was under the impression that the L&C degree would be more "portable" than the U of O degree... but I could be totally wrong. In answer to your poll- I would go Lewis and Clark. But I'm curious to hear other folks' opinion, because I am basically in the same position. Subscribed!

Papa Smurf

Postby Papa Smurf » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:44 pm

Case2L wrote:SInce you're OOS, should we assume that cost is relatively equal?

Cost is relatively equal, but I'm trying to pick a school based on non-monetary reasons; regardless of where I go, I'll find a way to pay for it and emerge with as little debt as possible

BeautifulSW wrote:I would guess, JUST guess, mind you, that if you are interested in Oregon politics or a state law job, OU would be the better choice. One function of state schools is to supply the needs of state government. At least, that's how it is down here in N.Mex.

That's interesting, I haven't heard that (LC seems pretty well represented in state govt too), but it makes sense.

This decision was friggin tough enough without the 4/15 deposit deadlines breathing down my neck, now it's borderline torture :?

Capitol hillbilly

Postby Capitol hillbilly » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:35 pm

Copy that. I am also needing to pony up for that L&C deposit this week, even though I'm praying for a response from Hastings. Let us know what you decide!

neopagcant

Postby neopagcant » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 am

Oregon alumni are rabid and that's an alumni network worth having.

ProZach

Postby ProZach » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:57 am

Both schools have their own pros and cons. However, one thing I would like to caution you about is this idea you may have that it is "sunnier generally" in Eugene, as someone that has gone to undergrad at UO and will be going their in the fall for LS I can assure you that sightings of the sun in Eugene are about as common as those of UFOs.

Papa Smurf

Postby Papa Smurf » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:39 pm

ProZach wrote:Both schools have their own pros and cons. However, one thing I would like to caution you about is this idea you may have that it is "sunnier generally" in Eugene, as someone that has gone to undergrad at UO and will be going their in the fall for LS I can assure you that sightings of the sun in Eugene are about as common as those of UFOs.

Duly noted, that comment was based on my visit there along with the opinion of a few people I met along the way, apparently I've been led astray haha

renorunningirl

Postby renorunningirl » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:48 pm

I'm in exactly the same position... $$ at both schools (slightly more at L&C). I also had a good gut reaction when I visited L&C and an exceptionally bad one at Oregon... I am going with L&C because I prefer the atmosphere, love the city, and hope to crack the Portland market. I am going with L&C over not only Oregon but also Baylor, UC Boulder (Sticker), and a full ride at UNLV... Good luck and perhaps I will see you there this fall :)

Papa Smurf

Postby Papa Smurf » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:33 pm

So I'm going with U of O; ultimately, I just didn't see myself at a small little liberal arts school a la LC, it's cheaper, and the curriculum seems to meet what I'm looking for more than LC.

Hopefully you're not too disappointed Reno, maybe we'll cross paths in Portland down the road :)

renorunningirl

Postby renorunningirl » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:59 pm

Indeed :) Good Luck at Oregon!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”