Ohio State vs. Case Western vs. Villanova vs. Syracuse?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Ohio State vs. Case Western vs. Villanova vs. Syraucuse?

Ohio State
40%
Case Western
23%
Villanova
5%
Syracuse
33%

Total votes: 43

bigdecisions

Ohio State vs. Case Western vs. Villanova vs. Syracuse?

Postby bigdecisions » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:38 pm

With the scholarship money I received from each of these schools, this is what I would have left to pay in tuition after the 3 years: OSU ($62,566), Case ($50,448), Villanova ($35,070) and Syracuse ($0 - they are giving me a full ride with a very nice stipend). However, then you have to add in the cost of living at each of these places.

I am not entirely sure where I want to end up practicing law. I think I want to specialize in international/criminal/human rights law.

I have already visited Villanova and Syracuse and will be looking at OSU and Case this weekend. I'm hoping after I see them all, I will have a better idea of where I want to go. I would love any input on this tough decision. Thanks!

Case2L

Re: Ohio State vs. Case Western vs. Villanova vs. Syracuse?

Postby Case2L » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:49 pm

Case places a lot of students in war crimes tribunals, if that's something you're interested in. If you get in good with a certain professor @ Case, you can quite easily land an internship with a tribunal.

Whatever1

Postby Whatever1 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:51 pm

I voted Syracuse, but only because I am very debt averse and would never turn down a free education unless it was to a T4. If you have big law dreams, disregard my vote and go to Ohio State.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:01 pm

Ignore Case, as Ohio State is worth $12,000 more.

Decide on where you want to practice - Ohio, Philadelphia, or New York (not new york city).

bigdecisions

Postby bigdecisions » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:12 pm

Yes, I'm definitely very interested in Case's international criminal tribunal externship and would try to do that if I chose Case or anywhere else, for that matter.

As far as where I want to practice - Ohio, Philadelphia, or New York - I feel like I would be happy in any of those places.
Last edited by bigdecisions on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:14 pm

In my opinion, your two best options are Syracuse & Ohio State.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:20 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Ignore Case, as Ohio State is worth $12,000 more.

Absolutely correct

BrianGriffintheDog

Postby BrianGriffintheDog » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:37 pm

With schools listed above, you'd probably have best chance in criminal law as opposed to international/human rights law.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:41 pm

BrianGriffintheDog wrote:With schools listed above, you'd probably have best chance in criminal law as opposed to international/human rights law.

touche.

OP - if you don't really care where, decide whether you want to practice in a metropolitan area or a smaller area. If the former, go ahead and remove Syracuse. Then go to Ohio State, as there are multiple large metropolitan areas in Ohio. If the latter, you will be fine with any of them (although you should probably still go to Ohio State.

bigdecisions

Postby bigdecisions » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:01 pm

Villanova is out of the running. It's between the remaining 3. I really liked both Ohio State and Case Western, however are they worth being $130,000 in debt upon graduation? I didn't really care for Syracuse, but should I just go there anyways considering I will only come out with around $40,000 in debt? Plus, I'm not sure if I will want to work in a big law firm after I graduate. Thoughts, anyone?

iamnooneelse

Postby iamnooneelse » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:56 pm

Are you calculating for the realistic possibility that you will get in-state tuition at OSU for 2L and 3L? That's usually how it works there, so that may be something worth considering.

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:17 pm

I was in a similar situation, I ended up choosing cuse over iowa because of lower debt. I really don't like the law building too much, but I think it was the right choice. Plus I grew up in the area and the local connections seemed more realistically helpful than the name of a higher ranked school.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:22 pm

I had a great scholarship to syracuse but turned it down for a small one at pittsburgh. Syracuse is nice, but it doesnt reach that far ( buffalo has more pull in western ny). If you lose that scholarship- syracuse gets expensive in a hurry ( its tuition is 45k)- and that is something i was not willing to risk and have hanging over my head. I would go to Ohio State and if you are not a resident try to do everything you can to become an instate resident. Syracuse has a nice campus, but you should take into cosideration the immediate area and the city- as chances are you will be practicing there after graduation.

bigdecisions

Postby bigdecisions » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:24 pm

iamnooneelse wrote:Are you calculating for the realistic possibility that you will get in-state tuition at OSU for 2L and 3L? That's usually how it works there, so that may be something worth considering.

Yes, that is the number calculated with in-state tuiton for my 2L and 3L years.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:43 pm

What are the stipulations for keeping your scholarship at Syracuse? If it's remaining in good standing -- I'd take that (being rather debt-averse).

Also, agree about removing Case from your list as OSU places much better in Ohio.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:45 pm

syracuse has a 3.0 stip for scholarships greater thatn 27,000 and 2.8 for those at 27,000 their median is a 2.8

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:05 pm

Well, at least if you're not above median after your first year at Syracuse, you could drop out and you wouldn't have lost an investment (except a year of your time).

bigdecisions

Postby bigdecisions » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:03 am

StillHerexxx wrote:I was in a similar situation, I ended up choosing cuse over iowa because of lower debt. I really don't like the law building too much, but I think it was the right choice. Plus I grew up in the area and the local connections seemed more realistically helpful than the name of a higher ranked school.

I don't care for SU's law building either. Why do you feel it was the right choice? What area of law are you interested in?

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:07 am

bigdecisions wrote:I think I want to specialize in international/criminal/human rights law.

Before you choose to attend any of these schools, you have to decide where you want to end up. This is not optional. It's a required part of the planning and decision-making process, unless you're aimed at schools that place people nationally on a consistent basis.

bigdecisions

Postby bigdecisions » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:24 am

Or does anyone feel I should just go to Case Western, as it is somewhat of a compromise between OSU and SU? Also, Case Western seems to have the strongest international law program and I would really love to do the international criminal tribunal externship they offer, which is unavailable at the other schools. Case's director of the international law center also seems to have great connections in the international law realm. There's also the Summer Institute for Global Justice, War Crimes Research Lab and options to study abroad. How important are these factors? Should they be deciding factors?

Or is OSU the better option because it is higher ranked? They have international law as a specialty and the Oxford study abroad program during the semester or summer.

SU has a certificate in global law and practice and the Institute for National Security and Counterrorism. They only have a Law in London summer program. But I would like to do a semester if possible somewhere other than London.
Last edited by bigdecisions on Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:32 am

Good points, I take back what I said. You should definitely consider Case Western, because it's very well known for international law and it has an internship that could create great networking opportunities for working with international tribunals and human rights. Also, it's specialty ranking in Health Law is #8, making it one of the top schools for that area in the entire country. This is tough though, because OSU has higher ranked by 30+ spots, and those kinds of rank differences can come into play when you're choosing between DC and San Francisco for jobs. Villanova is is a great deal money-wise, but again, Case Western outranks it in the generic rankings by 23 places. With each additional increase in rank, even in the 51-100 category, you can assume approximately $1500/year more in starting salary when you graduate. All in all, not easy choices. Good luck!

bigdecisions

Postby bigdecisions » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:36 am

MrKappus wrote: [Before you choose to attend any of these schools, you have to decide where you want to end up. This is not optional. It's a required part of the planning and decision-making process, unless you're aimed at schools that place people nationally on a consistent basis.

OSU places 56% of graduates in Ohio. The rest are out of state with 5% in New York and 5% in DC.

Case Western places 50% of graduates in Ohio.

SU places 57% in Middle Atlantic region and 19% in the South Atlantic region.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:46 am

bigdecisions wrote:OSU places 56% of graduates in Ohio. The rest are out of state with 5% in New York and 5% in DC.

Case Western places 50% of graduates in Ohio.

SU places 57% in Middle Atlantic region and 19% in the South Atlantic region.

Sounds like you've done your research. Now you just need a time machine so you can matriculate in the Class of 2009.

bigdecisions

Postby bigdecisions » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:03 pm

People who are voting Syracuse: Why are you voting for Syracuse? What is your reasoning?

dstr15

Postby dstr15 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:55 pm

-
Last edited by dstr15 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”