Emory vs. State School (University of Memphis)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
SewSueMe

Emory vs. State School (University of Memphis)

Postby SewSueMe » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:00 am

I have a dilemma.. Out of the schools I applied to, the most competitive offers I received are from my state school, the University of Memphis, and from Emory in Atlanta.

With the scholarship offer I received, if I go to U of M, I will pay only $7,150 in tuition per year. Emory (with scholarships) will cost me $18,000 per year in tuition.

To me, the $10,850 per year difference is a lot of money. However, a 100 spot difference in the rankings (Emory being around 30 and Memphis being around 140) is pretty significant, as well.

The other con to Emory is it would force me to move away from my family (including my husband) which I'm not exactly stoked about.

And to top it all off, I'm still waiting to hear from Vanderbilt who has been my number one choice from the beginning.. XD

However, disregarding Vanderbilt for now, does anyone have any advice on how to make this decision? :( I'm going to Emory's visiting day tomorrow and Saturday, so that may help, but I'd still like to know if anyone has been faced with a similar problem and what they chose.

dcgirl1013

Re: Emory vs. State School (University of Memphis)

Postby dcgirl1013 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:01 am

Where do you want to work? If you want to work anywhere other than Memphis I would go to Emory.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:03 am

You have a better shot at high profile employment in Memphis from Emory (if you have ties to Memphis).

I would say Emory is worth $30,000 more than Memphis.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:05 am

Emory. The disparity in rankings (in this case) is too large to ignore. Can't comment on the family situation, tho, and I know that's a huge factor. A personal choice, no doubt, but in terms of investment I think Emory is undoubtedly a smarter choice.

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:26 pm

Did you not apply to Tennessee? What about others in the area like Bama or UGA? I'm not sure I would go into that much debt for Emory, but please do not go to Memphis.

ELS2010

Postby ELS2010 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:29 pm

If it weren't for your husband, this would be a no-brainer. Can he move with you?

SewSueMe

Postby SewSueMe » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:52 pm

Wow! Sounds like the vote is for Emory, LOL! Is Memphis really THAT bad? I've visited and the new building is absolutely gorgeous.. But the building says nothing about the quality of education and position in the rankings, I know. :(

My husband can't move for at least two years (so maybe he could come when I'm a 3L) and I know NO ONE in Atlanta. :( I'm not crazy about Memphis, so I don't know if I'd want to practice here or not, but from what everyone is saying, it sounds like most people think a Memphis degree is only good in Memphis and an Emory degree would be good in Memphis AND other areas?

The only other school I applied to that I haven't heard from is Vanderbilt, and my numbers are on the lower end of the scale there, so my odds are not good.

I seriously regret not applying to Alabama and Ole Miss. :(

lawdog37

Postby lawdog37 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:46 pm

Weird--this is exactly the situation I'm in too--the schools I'm debating and roughly the same schollys (though you got a bit more at Emory than I did). And I'm also still waiting on Vandy (and Tulane for what it's worth). And I even have the same dilemma with the husband who cannot move. You are my Memphian cyber twin!

From what I've gathered, Memphis is very solid in many respects and I think it would provide a solid education and plenty of great local opportunities (for those in the top percentages), but is definitely NOT portable outside of the Memphis area. Memphis is very well represented in big firms, govt and public interest here in Memphis, and I had very good and extensive conversations with the Dean of Admissions and Dean of Career Services and a few students. They were all very helpful and supportive. But it's the lack of portability that worries me as my husband and I don't know if we want to stay here forever, or even for more than a few years. So, I may end up double depositing to buy myself a bit more time.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I don't think that Ole Miss is really more portable either. I did apply and got $, but got worried that I'd be stuck in Mississippi forever, which for me is worse than living in Memphis.

SewSueMe

Postby SewSueMe » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:28 pm

lawdog! We are seriously law school cycle twins!! XD I was actually going to apply to Tulane, also, but I didn't because it is so far. Now I wish I did, ha ha.

About the Ole Miss thing, I think I'm just getting paranoid since deposit deadlines are coming up. The only schools I honestly regret not applying to are Washington U in St. Louis, Tulane, and Alabama, since those are all at least in the top 100.

Anyway, so you can't decide between Memphis and Emory, either? And like me, a Vandy acceptance would trump all? XD

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:29 pm

Emory is worth the extra 30k.

SewSueMe

Postby SewSueMe » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:31 pm

SewSueMe wrote:lawdog! We are seriously law school cycle twins!! XD I was actually going to apply to Tulane, also, but I didn't because it is so far. Now I wish I did, ha ha.

About the Ole Miss thing, I think I'm just getting paranoid since deposit deadlines are coming up. The only schools I honestly regret not applying to are Washington U in St. Louis, Tulane, and Alabama, since those are all at least in the top 100.

Anyway, so you can't decide between Memphis and Emory, either? And like me, a Vandy acceptance would trump all? XD

OMG I just realized I said Tulane was too far but it is closer than Emory........ That was pretty lame just there..

lawdog37

Postby lawdog37 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:57 pm

It would be pretty hard to turn down Vandy for any other school, though I'm sure I'd be paying sticker so I'd have to think through that. I applied to Wash U and was WL. If you have a 168 or above you'd have been in with $$. Unfortunately, I'm just slightly under that.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”