(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

35%
65%

Total votes: 113

rundoxierun

Re: Special Snowflake Poll: Harvard or Stanford

Postby rundoxierun » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:29 pm

Attorney wrote:It's funny, the schools at the top of my list would be MIT and the University of Chicago, followed by Stanford and Berkeley. To me, MIT seems vastly underrated by the list in this time where technology affects our lives more than ever before. And Chicago's invented more schools of thought than probably any other university in the world. There's a very influential "Chicago school of economics" for example. There is no "Harvard school of economics" and there is most certainly no "Yale school of economics". The University of Chicago seems to have gotten 0% of the vote in both categories. It saddens me.

Then you have Stanford and Berkeley, with Silicon Valley existing solely because they were there. Especially true in the case of Stanford, but Berkeley professors invented the nuclear bomb that will destroy us all, gave us BSD Unix that is the core of all Apple products, discovered the elements of Berkelium and Californium and named them after their school, etc.

To me, no schools in the Ivy League can touch MIT, Chicago, Stanford, and Berkeley when it comes to discovering new science, new technology, and new philosophies. That's whom I'd vote for! Not the stuffy "old money" schools of the northeast... although probably Harvard in particular has done some interesting things in many fields. Princeton and possibly Yale don't even make it onto the radar for innovation, my primary criteria here.

All in my opinion, of course.

There most definitely is. The "chicago" school is the competing thought to the Harvard/MIT school of thought. I also find it funny that you seem to lean towards technology for innovation but include a school like UChicago which is known primarily for its social sciences(and med school I guess). Regardless, all of the schools you named are home to a crazy amount of stuff. You are giving the ivies far less credit than they deserve.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:22 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
Attorney wrote:It's funny, the schools at the top of my list would be MIT and the University of Chicago, followed by Stanford and Berkeley. To me, MIT seems vastly underrated by the list in this time where technology affects our lives more than ever before. And Chicago's invented more schools of thought than probably any other university in the world. There's a very influential "Chicago school of economics" for example. There is no "Harvard school of economics" and there is most certainly no "Yale school of economics". The University of Chicago seems to have gotten 0% of the vote in both categories. It saddens me.

Then you have Stanford and Berkeley, with Silicon Valley existing solely because they were there. Especially true in the case of Stanford, but Berkeley professors invented the nuclear bomb that will destroy us all, gave us BSD Unix that is the core of all Apple products, discovered the elements of Berkelium and Californium and named them after their school, etc.

To me, no schools in the Ivy League can touch MIT, Chicago, Stanford, and Berkeley when it comes to discovering new science, new technology, and new philosophies. That's whom I'd vote for! Not the stuffy "old money" schools of the northeast... although probably Harvard in particular has done some interesting things in many fields. Princeton and possibly Yale don't even make it onto the radar for innovation, my primary criteria here.

All in my opinion, of course.

There most definitely is. The "chicago" school is the competing thought to the Harvard/MIT school of thought. I also find it funny that you seem to lean towards technology for innovation but include a school like UChicago which is known primarily for its social sciences(and med school I guess). Regardless, all of the schools you named are home to a crazy amount of stuff. You are giving the ivies far less credit than they deserve.
Which is exactly why I said Harvard and MIT are interconnected so that argument fails.

Attorney

Postby Attorney » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:29 pm

tkgrrett wrote:There most definitely is. The "chicago" school is the competing thought to the Harvard/MIT school of thought. I also find it funny that you seem to lean towards technology for innovation but include a school like UChicago which is known primarily for its social sciences(and med school I guess). Regardless, all of the schools you named are home to a crazy amount of stuff. You are giving the ivies far less credit than they deserve.

I'm not sure why you're calling "saltwater" economics (as an opposition school to the Chicago school of economics) the "Harvard/MIT" school of thought, it has as much to do with MIT and Berkeley as Harvard. I did however, give Harvard quite a bit of credit in my post... it would probably be #5 on my list. Using Harvard (the prime outlier) as an example of Ivy League innovation is not a good route to take.

Non-Chalant1 wrote:Which is exactly why I said Harvard and MIT are interconnected so that argument fails.

The students at each school can cross-register, but I'm not ready to give Harvard credit for all the MIT innovations in technology. It's about faculty, not students. So that's just a bit ridiculous... do you also give MIT credit for Harvard Law School? What about areas where they compete against each other with vigor? MIT/Sloan vs. HBS? Do they both get credit for each other's business schools?

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:42 pm

Attorney wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:There most definitely is. The "chicago" school is the competing thought to the Harvard/MIT school of thought. I also find it funny that you seem to lean towards technology for innovation but include a school like UChicago which is known primarily for its social sciences(and med school I guess). Regardless, all of the schools you named are home to a crazy amount of stuff. You are giving the ivies far less credit than they deserve.

I'm not sure why you're calling "saltwater" economics (as an opposition school to the Chicago school of economics) the "Harvard/MIT" school of thought, it has as much to do with MIT and Berkeley as Harvard. I did however, give Harvard quite a bit of credit in my post... it would probably be #5 on my list. Using Harvard (the prime outlier) as an example of Ivy League innovation is not a good route to take.

Non-Chalant1 wrote:Which is exactly why I said Harvard and MIT are interconnected so that argument fails.

The students at each school can cross-register, but I'm not ready to give Harvard credit for all the MIT innovations in technology. It's about faculty, not students. So that's just a bit ridiculous... do you also give MIT credit for Harvard Law School? What about areas where they compete against each other with vigor? MIT/Sloan vs. HBS? Do they both get credit for each other's business schools?
No one went that far my friend. That would be a slippery slope.

bigben

Postby bigben » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:46 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:JD, stop asking people on this forum. As you can see from the posts already you're going to get the same responses from people who are not at either school and just dispelling tls wisdom. I'd only ask those with first hand experience. How does one know you'd enjoy like at SLS more than Harvard? I wouldn't. Think about how debt averse you are and proceed from there. Research the clerking numbers. But no one has that HLS lay prestige if its that important to you. But if. I get into HLS and you stay...we can be classmates lol...and that's my selling point.

ITT: An HLS student doesn't know what "dispel" means. Uses it anyway.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:50 pm

Nevermind....should not have said anything...sorry jd.
Last edited by Non-Chalant1 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigben

Postby bigben » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:54 pm

Everyone gets to be a jerk on the internet occasionally. And you learned something too! (hopefully)

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:13 pm

bigben wrote:Everyone gets to be a jerk on the internet occasionally. And you learned something too! (hopefully)

TBF, that was a typo. I meant that I AM just attempting to dispel TLS conventional wisdom.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”