Michigan or Cornell?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Michigan or Cornell?

Michigan
75%
Cornell
16%
No real difference between the two
9%

Total votes: 32

Frasier27

Michigan or Cornell?

Postby Frasier27 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:17 am

I know Michigan is ranked a little higher, and people talk about MVP, and a couple have lawyers have told me that it has a "very slightly" better reputation. I would like to practice in DC and am a little concerned that Cornell is more oriented towards NYC. I have visited both and liked both a lot. Are these schools fairly comparable or would it be wise to choose Michigan absent a strong preference between the two? Thanks

(No money at either school)

tourdeforcex

Re: Michigan or Cornell?

Postby tourdeforcex » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:25 am

Are these schools fairly comparable

the word on TLS is these are not fairly comparable as Michigan is "better" (whatever that means) / has a stronger program/law school.

or would it be wise to choose Michigan absent a strong preference between the two?

wise? i will not comment on wisdom. i think if you like both, the cost is the same, most people would choose M, so. M.

additionally, if you would like to practice in DC, i think M's degree as stated is "very slightly" better in doing that. check those placement numbers though

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:30 am

Frasier27 wrote:I know Michigan is ranked a little higher, and people talk about MVP, and a couple have lawyers have told me that it has a "very slightly" better reputation. I would like to practice in DC and am a little concerned that Cornell is more oriented towards NYC. I have visited both and liked both a lot. Are these schools fairly comparable or would it be wise to choose Michigan absent a strong preference between the two? Thanks

(No money at either school)

Michigan may be slightly better, but it is also significantly cheaper even comparing sticker v. sticker...

72,380 for cornell v. 65,350 at mich, a year total COA
53,150 for cornell tuition v. 47,600 for mich

That is 16.65k savings over three years in tuition.

cz2209

Postby cz2209 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:30 am

Last edited by cz2209 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

mths

Postby mths » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:34 am

cz2209 wrote:same question here.

I am aiming for big laws. So just in terms of job placement, which one is better? I have seen the placement figure (from the top post in “Choosing a law school”), and got the impression that Cornell has a better placement in big laws. Also it has a small class (half as big as Michigan) and is closer to NYC and DC. Really don’t know which one to choose.

hehe "big laws"

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:46 am

I chose Cornell over Michigan, mostly because Cornell gave me more money and I hated Ann Arbor. I tend to agree with the lawyers who say Michigan is only slightly better than Cornell. That said, absent any other factors, the slight edge in reputation, the desire for DC (I think Michigan is somewhat more national) and the higher cost of Conrell, it seems like OP should choose Cornell.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:39 am

Have you visited both? Where do you think you'd be happiest?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”