Nashville v Austin

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which city is cooler [let's pretend we know nothing of which schools are where]

Austin
62%
Nashville
38%

Total votes: 107

lisjjen

Nashville v Austin

Postby lisjjen » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:29 pm

I love 6th St. I love Jack White. And I love football games, old fashioned campuses, spicy chicken, margaritas, cowboy boots and other things as well. Tough conundrum is tough.

Cade McNown

Re: Nashville v Austin

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:31 pm

Austin ftw.

akili

Postby akili » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:33 pm

This is relevant to my interests

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:36 pm

akili wrote:This is relevant to my interests

I know. Considering we've been having this conversation on and off since February. I fly out for Nashville around noon tomorrow and I'll have made my mind up for myself by Saturday.

akili

Postby akili » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:39 pm

lisjjen wrote:
akili wrote:This is relevant to my interests

I know. Considering we've been having this conversation on and off since February. I fly out for Nashville around noon tomorrow and I'll have made my mind up for myself by Saturday.

Haha yes, that's my hope as well.

EricBerry

Postby EricBerry » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:58 am

lisjjen wrote:I love 6th St. I love Jack White. And I love football games, old fashioned campuses, spicy chicken, margaritas, cowboy boots and other things as well. Tough conundrum is tough.

Nashville wins these areas hands-down. Hot chicken is Nashville's specialty (and a personal favorite). It's not your traditional buffalo wing-- its a breast/leg/thigh quarter fried in a dry spice rub (cayenne, paprika, and something else) served with pickles, white bread, and a side of pumpkin spiced fries. It's a bit of a haul from downtown and it's in a shoddy neighborhood, but Prince's Hot Chicken is the Mecca of hot chicken. Featured on Food Network many times and designated "Tennessee's Best Restaurant" by the former governor, Prince's is not only the best hot chicken you'll ever eat, it's the best fried chicken you'll ever eat. If you spend some time in Nashville, you MUST visit this place. (Warning: make sure you have about 24 hours free on your schedule after you eat here......trust me. And just stay away from the hottest varieties).

The Loveless Cafe, also a bit of a hike from downtown/midtown but in a well-to-do part of town, is another world famous eatery that I've frequented since birth. This is simply the best breakfast you will ever eat. The biscuits are served with peach, apple, and apricot preserves and are unquestionably the best in the world. The death of the woman behind the biscuit recipe was front page news for two weeks. Another must-visit locale.

The Jack White connection requires no explanation. It's not uncommon to see him, Robert Plant, Ben Folds, or any other music legend walking around town or spontaneously sitting in with a band in a hole-in-a-wall bar on a Tuesday night.
Cowboy boots are plentiful, but outside of touristy areas, they are less common. Buy your next pair at Robert's Western World on Broadway.
As far as football goes, Vanderbilt is not a powerhouse, but the games are a lot of fun. Obviously Austin > Nashville for college football, but Nashville has NFL. Titans games are a blast. Check out some Preds games as well. Thursday is college night with discounted tickets and dollar beers.
I can't speak to 6th Street Austin vs. Nashville's Broadway/2nd avenue/midtown, but I'd be willing to bet that the difference in nightlife is minimal. Ultimately, you should go with the feel of the city. Nashville has a more SEC frat/touristy feel and Austin is hipster with elements of traditional Texas. I've lived in Nashville for 24 years and I've visited nearly every livable city in the US. I have no intentions of living anywhere else long-term. I honestly believe that Nashville is one of the best cities in the US (for law school or a career). I always LOL when I see how timid people are on these boards about going to Vandy because "it's in Tennessee". We're not talking about Selma, Alabama here. The Nashville MSA has 1.5 million residents and one of the largest populations of transplants. Just like any sizable city, Nashville has it's share of second-class citizens. The only difference is that instead of Bloods and Crips, we have rednecks. If anyone has questions about Nashville, fire away.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:17 am

If your life has been anything like mine, choose which library you like more. Boom, done.

gogators

Postby gogators » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:35 am

Two very different cities and yet eerily similar. Enjoy admitted students weekend at Vandy but also keep in mind the 1L's are in insane mode probably about now as they have finals, appellate brief, research assignment, summer jobs, write-on competition, etc. all right now-ish.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:42 am

EricBerry wrote:
lisjjen wrote:I love 6th St. I love Jack White. And I love football games, old fashioned campuses, spicy chicken, margaritas, cowboy boots and other things as well. Tough conundrum is tough.

Nashville wins these areas hands-down. Hot chicken is Nashville's specialty (and a personal favorite). It's not your traditional buffalo wing-- its a breast/leg/thigh quarter fried in a dry spice rub (cayenne, paprika, and something else) served with pickles, white bread, and a side of pumpkin spiced fries. It's a bit of a haul from downtown and it's in a shoddy neighborhood, but Prince's Hot Chicken is the Mecca of hot chicken. Featured on Food Network many times and designated "Tennessee's Best Restaurant" by the former governor, Prince's is not only the best hot chicken you'll ever eat, it's the best fried chicken you'll ever eat. If you spend some time in Nashville, you MUST visit this place. (Warning: make sure you have about 24 hours free on your schedule after you eat here......trust me. And just stay away from the hottest varieties).

The Loveless Cafe, also a bit of a hike from downtown/midtown but in a well-to-do part of town, is another world famous eatery that I've frequented since birth. This is simply the best breakfast you will ever eat. The biscuits are served with peach, apple, and apricot preserves and are unquestionably the best in the world. The death of the woman behind the biscuit recipe was front page news for two weeks. Another must-visit locale.

The Jack White connection requires no explanation. It's not uncommon to see him, Robert Plant, Ben Folds, or any other music legend walking around town or spontaneously sitting in with a band in a hole-in-a-wall bar on a Tuesday night.
Cowboy boots are plentiful, but outside of touristy areas, they are less common. Buy your next pair at Robert's Western World on Broadway.
As far as football goes, Vanderbilt is not a powerhouse, but the games are a lot of fun. Obviously Austin > Nashville for college football, but Nashville has NFL. Titans games are a blast. Check out some Preds games as well. Thursday is college night with discounted tickets and dollar beers.
I can't speak to 6th Street Austin vs. Nashville's Broadway/2nd avenue/midtown, but I'd be willing to bet that the difference in nightlife is minimal. Ultimately, you should go with the feel of the city. Nashville has a more SEC frat/touristy feel and Austin is hipster with elements of traditional Texas. I've lived in Nashville for 24 years and I've visited nearly every livable city in the US. I have no intentions of living anywhere else long-term. I honestly believe that Nashville is one of the best cities in the US (for law school or a career). I always LOL when I see how timid people are on these boards about going to Vandy because "it's in Tennessee". We're not talking about Selma, Alabama here. The Nashville MSA has 1.5 million residents and one of the largest populations of transplants. Just like any sizable city, Nashville has it's share of second-class citizens. The only difference is that instead of Bloods and Crips, we have rednecks. If anyone has questions about Nashville, fire away.

I picked all the above purposefully. I have a hard time imagining anything beating 6th street. The combination of Mardis Gras every weekend, plus the warmth, the food, the live music and the cheap drinks is just effing amazing. Also, in regards to cowboy boots, I would be OK calling it a tie, but I wouldn't just hand that to Nashville so easily.

db616

Postby db616 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:51 am

I can't speak for Nashville, but ATX is a damn fine town.

EricBerry

Postby EricBerry » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:03 am

lisjjen wrote:I picked all the above purposefully. I have a hard time imagining anything beating 6th street. The combination of Mardis Gras every weekend, plus the warmth, the food, the live music and the cheap drinks is just effing amazing. Also, in regards to cowboy boots, I would be OK calling it a tie, but I wouldn't just hand that to Nashville so easily.

You say this like Nashville doesn't at least tie Austin in these areas.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:19 am

EricBerry wrote:
lisjjen wrote:I picked all the above purposefully. I have a hard time imagining anything beating 6th street. The combination of Mardis Gras every weekend, plus the warmth, the food, the live music and the cheap drinks is just effing amazing. Also, in regards to cowboy boots, I would be OK calling it a tie, but I wouldn't just hand that to Nashville so easily.

You say this like Nashville doesn't at least tie Austin in these areas.

Let me get back to you on this. I just got in tonight so I need to see how I like it. (btw, have you been to ATX?)

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:21 am

I haven't been to Austin, but Nashville isn't for everyone.

Nashville has a lot going for it. It's a young city, a vibrant city, a growing city, and a clean city. The kicker is that it's a very Southern city; if you don't mind/like the South, you'll probably love Nashville. I happen to dislike the South (so naturally, I wasn't as big of a fan).

But I will admit that Vandy has a great campus.
Last edited by HeavenWood on Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:24 am

HeavenWood wrote:I haven't been to Austin, but Nashville isn't for everyone.

Nashville has a lot going for it. It's a young city, a vibrant city, a growing city, and a clean city. The kicker is that it's a very Southern city; if you don't mind/like the South, you'll probably love Nashville. I happen to dislike the South (so naturally, I wasn't as big of a fan).

Like I said, I need to wait to make up my mind, but it was weird to hear a Southern accent in Austin whereas you here accents everywhere here. Austin made me think of Portland. Nashville makes me think of Nashville.

So I think I'll enjoy my vacation to Nashville and then send in my seat deposit to UT.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:22 am

nvm. Nashville feels like it's trying too hard. Austin isn't as glamorous, but you know it's real.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:49 am

Austin because I'm not white.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:49 pm

FiveSermon wrote:Austin because I'm not white.

I hate to say it, but this is kinda legitimate. The honky tonk I went to was not that friendly. Then again, I talked to some natives and they said that bar sucked anyways.

My mind isn't 100% made up against Vandy though. The school and the people are great. I'd just live in the Vandy bubble for 3 years.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:11 pm

lisjjen wrote:

I hate to say it, but this is kinda legitimate. The honky tonk I went to was not that friendly. Then again, I talked to some natives and they said that bar sucked anyways.

My mind isn't 100% made up against Vandy though. The school and the people are great. I'd just live in the Vandy bubble for 3 years.

What bar?

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:17 pm

rad law wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

What bar?

Rippy's

And btw, I had made up my mind to go to UT but this visit complicated my plan. Nashville is cheap and nice and the school is awesome.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:39 pm

lisjjen wrote:
rad law wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

What bar?

Rippy's

And btw, I had made up my mind to go to UT but this visit complicated my plan. Nashville is cheap and nice and the school is awesome.

The fuck? I've never know a single law student to go there.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:23 pm

rad law wrote:The fuck? I've never know a single law student to go there.

I went with a bunch of admits.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:25 pm

lisjjen wrote:

Should have asked for a recommendation first.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:27 pm

rad law wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

Should have asked for a recommendation first partied with rad law.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:28 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
rad law wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

Ordinarily, yes, but this ASW "party with rad law" = "write an appellate brief with the TV on in the background"

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:29 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
rad law wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

+1

But he made us promise we wouldn't ask around for him based on TLS, so I was timid to try and find him.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”