Suffolk or William Mitchell?? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Suffolk or William Mitchell??

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:46 pm

+1. I'm just sick of hearing these same old tired arguments. The majority of 3Ls at my T20 don't have jobs lined up for post-graduation yet (although I'm confident many of them will get them after passing the bar). But if T20 students aren't getting jobs, how do you think you're going to fare at WM or Suffolk?

Oh wait, I forgot about that magic ace up the sleeve... NETWORKING! And since no one at T14s tries to network, that leaves T2/3/4 students with all the networking opportunities.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:54 pm

romothesavior wrote:+1. I'm just sick of hearing these same old tired arguments. The majority of 3Ls at my T20 don't have jobs lined up for post-graduation yet (although I'm confident many of them will get them after passing the bar). But if T20 students aren't getting jobs, how do you think you're going to fare at WM or Suffolk?

Oh wait, I forgot about that magic ace up the sleeve... NETWORKING! And since no one at T14s tries to network, that leaves T2/3/4 students with all the networking opportunities.
TBF, your T20 is WUSTL...

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:59 pm

aliarrow wrote:
romothesavior wrote:+1. I'm just sick of hearing these same old tired arguments. The majority of 3Ls at my T20 don't have jobs lined up for post-graduation yet (although I'm confident many of them will get them after passing the bar). But if T20 students aren't getting jobs, how do you think you're going to fare at WM or Suffolk?

:lol: :lol:

Still better than Suffolk or WM... which is the point, right?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:00 pm

aliarrow wrote:

Oh zing!

Yes, I go to WUSTL, a school that in good years placed almost 1/3 of its class into NLJ + clerkships, and plenty more into respectable plaintiffs firms, solid PI and good government jobs. We've never been a national power, but we were still placing the vast majority of our classes into good jobs just a few years ago. That should give you an idea of just how bad the economy is right now. I wouldn't tell anyone to go to most T14s at sticker (or WUSTL at sticker), so you can bet your ass I think it is a HORRIBLE idea to go to either of these schools at sticker.

MidlawMyth

New

Post by MidlawMyth » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:01 pm

firemed wrote:
aliarrow wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Still better than Suffolk or WM... which is the point, right?
Not necessarily. WUSTL spurns local ties in an attempt at national reach. It fails. So you get squeezed both ways.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:02 pm

MidlawMyth wrote:Not necessarily. WUSTL spurns local ties in an attempt at national reach. It fails. So you get squeezed both ways.
Uh, no. But feel free to keep talking out your ass.

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:05 pm

rofl @ this thread.

if ur considering going to a retard school, plz save urself the humiliation and soul crushing debt and do something else. some of u ppl are unbelievably naive.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:08 pm

Mark71121 wrote:rofl @ this thread.

if ur considering going to a retard school, plz save urself the humiliation and soul crushing debt and do something else. some of u ppl are unbelievably naive.
That was very insightful and original.

alumniguy

Bronze

Post by alumniguy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:10 pm

MidlawMyth wrote:Not necessarily. WUSTL spurns local ties in an attempt at national reach. It fails. So you get squeezed both ways.
What is this junior high school...you're cutting down the guy who goes to WUSTL and then extolling the great job opportunities at WM. Obviously you're just trying to cut the guy down.

WUSTL doesn't spurn local ties, there just aren't many biglaw shops in St. Louis. As a result, WUSTL grads disperse. Unlike WUSTL, WM grads can't disperse (so they are stuck with what the Minneapolis market has to bear - which isn't much these days).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:11 pm

aliarrow wrote:

Yeah, except that apart from the use of the phrase "retard school" (since all schools actually do provide a really good education... just not the same opportunities) and his hideous grammar, this mark fellow seems to be totally correct.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:13 pm

firemed wrote:
aliarrow wrote:

Yeah, except that apart from the use of the phrase "retard school" (since all schools actually do provide a really good education... just not the same opportunities) and his hideous grammar, this mark fellow seems to be totally correct.
I'm not against snark (after all, this is the internet), but if you're going to be a smart-ass, at least be funny and/or original.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:15 pm

aliarrow wrote:
I'm not against snark (after all, this is the internet), but if you're going to be a smart-ass, at least be funny and/or original.
Fair enough. :D

alumniguy

Bronze

Post by alumniguy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:16 pm

aliarrow wrote:

Maybe not insightful or original, but certainly realistic. We should start a poll. Each person should ask 5 PRACTICING attorneys the following question:

I applied to many law schools but the best school I got accepted to was "TTT law school." I didn't get a scholarship and in order for me to attend I will need to finance my law school education through loans. I anticipate having $150k in debt upon graduation. If you were in my position, would you recommend that I go to law school or start thinking about alternative options?"

Just what percentage of practicing attorneys do you think would recommend that the applicant attend law school? My guess is about 15% would recommend law school and the other 85% would say do something else.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:18 pm

The meme potential with some of the posts in this thread is off the charts.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:19 pm

alumniguy wrote:
Just what percentage of practicing attorneys do you think would recommend that the applicant attend law school? My guess is about 15% would recommend law school and the other 85% would say do something else.
Provided you limited this to people who graduated since 2000, I would be OK with that. I have noticed that a lot of practicing attorneys from the olden days seem to be unaware of what is going on. When you have been doing patents since 1990 and don't have any kids, it is easy to assume things are the way they were.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:23 pm

I looked up WM on Yahoo Answers to see if I could find anything from an old WM alum, no luck but I did find this gem:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 420AARfndO

alumniguy

Bronze

Post by alumniguy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:24 pm

firemed wrote:
alumniguy wrote:
Provided you limited this to people who graduated since 2000, I would be OK with that. I have noticed that a lot of practicing attorneys from the olden days seem to be unaware of what is going on. When you have been doing patents since 1990 and don't have any kids, it is easy to assume things are the way they were.
It's possible, but the 150k in debt would certain raise some flags - even to practicing attorneys from the olden days.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:25 pm

alumniguy wrote:
It's possible, but the 150k in debt would certain raise some flags - even to practicing attorneys from the olden days.
Law school was like 40k for all three years in their day, so even a cheap school with a scholarship would raise red flags.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:25 pm

alumniguy wrote:
firemed wrote:
alumniguy wrote:

Touche.

MidlawMyth

New

Post by MidlawMyth » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:27 pm

alumniguy wrote:
firemed wrote:
alumniguy wrote:
More like $200K these days.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:31 pm

MidlawMyth wrote:
alumniguy wrote:
firemed wrote:
alumniguy wrote:
Can't wait until the bars start denying people bar admission for excessive debt. :P

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:43 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
MidlawMyth wrote:
Can't wait until the bars start denying people bar admission for excessive debt. :P
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Won't happen. Even some T14 grads are coming out with numbers like that these days. Can you really see them saying "Hey, we know you graduated Yale, clerked for Justice Scalia, and have a job offer at the best firm in the state, but we totes can't admit you to the bar despite the fact that you aced the exam because you have $300K in debt combined from UG and LS. Peace out, yo."

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:50 pm

firemed wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
MidlawMyth wrote:

Won't happen. Even some T14 grads are coming out with numbers like that these days. Can you really see them saying "Hey, we know you graduated Yale, clerked for Justice Scalia, and have a job offer at the best firm in the state, but we totes can't admit you to the bar despite the fact that you aced the exam because you have $300K in debt combined from UG and LS. Peace out, yo."
http://minnlawyer.com/jdr/2011/01/26/ba ... hool-debt/

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:51 pm

firemed wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
MidlawMyth wrote:

One thing is to look at the aforementioned case, who will probably have his debt paid off with a couple of bonuses-

Another is to look at a guy who will make the equivalent to said bonus through 5 years of work.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:53 pm

firemed wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
MidlawMyth wrote:

http://lawriot.com/2011/01/the-ohio-sup ... dent-debt/

too late
Last edited by Patriot1208 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”